Smashed iPhone 4 Back- What are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RossMacca, Jun 19, 2011.

1. RossMacca macrumors regular

My mate did the unthinkable a few days ago, and dropped my iPhone 4, shattering the glass on the back, had it been the front, I'd have shattered him!

As chance would have it, I cancelled my insurance policy for my iPhone with O2 about a month and a half ago...

I've read around a bit, and it looks like replacing the back by myself would be simple, but I'm worried about buying a part which is not an official Apple part, and of course the fact that doing so would void my warranty.

How much would Apple charge for a repair (I'm in the UK) of the back glass, assuming they can do with without having to charge me for a whole replacement iPhone?

Thanks.

2. DrTryHard macrumors newbie

DrTryHard

You could do it yourself and while your at it get an epic new color! Click here for the back covers. These are for GSM iPhones. This site offers CDMA iPhone parts to though. :apple::):D Hope I helped.

3. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

In the US, it's $29 to have the back replaced. I'm not sure how much it would cost in the UK, but it would probably be around the same.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Take it to the Apple Store.
    In the United States, they charge $29 dollars to replace the backing. I'm not sure how much it would cost in the United Kingdom, but I would venture to say that it shouldn't be that big of a difference in price.

5. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I'm guessing $29 at the Apple store, with a somewhat similar price in the UK.

6. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I recommend one of those see through back panels :) would look cool too :D

7. RossMacca thread starter macrumors regular

As I said, I would only be willing to repair it myself if I could get official Apple parts. I don't want a tacky coloured copy from eBay.

Thanks for the info everyone else suggesting the Apple store. I'll popin the next time I'm near.

8. MuggleReviewer macrumors member

MuggleReviewer

I had mine fixed a few days ago at the apple store in Cambridge and it only cost 29 quid! Done in 10 minutes and looks brand new. Definitely recommend taking it to apple and having it done right

9. rovex macrumors 65816

Isn't there a booklet from apple showing all the parts that can be replaced at the apple store with the prices?

I'd like to see this.