Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leeroy.murray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
My iphone fell out of my pocket and I ran over it with a fork truck. My question is what will it cost me to get a replacement phone? This model was a 16GB 3GS. Is the easiest way to get the ball rolling to make an appointment at an Apple store? I have attached images for those who can stand the gruesome horror that was a functioning iPhone.

Attachments

• Bottomofsmashedphone.jpg
    Bottomofsmashedphone.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 272
  • Topofsmashedphone.jpg
    Topofsmashedphone.jpg
    955.6 KB · Views: 231

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
My iphone fell out of my pocket and I ran over it with a fork truck. My question is what will it cost me to get a replacement phone? This model was a 16GB 3GS. Is the easiest way to get the ball rolling to make an appointment at an Apple store? I have attached images for those who can stand the gruesome horror that was a functioning iPhone.
If you make an appt with the Genius Bar, they can do a service replacement for $199. Or you can buy a new one for whatever price AT&T allows you to (depends on your contract).

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I remember someone posted a chart of Genius guidelines for replacement when it comes to iPhone damage.

I wish I saved the URL, so I could post it here, but the topic creator's iPhone falls in the last, unsalvageable section - meaning Apple's suggestion would be to buy a new one at full price.

But we'll see how this story pans out.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Wow, would something like that be refurbishable?

Highly doubt it. I even highly doubt they'll even take it for $199. If the internal main boards still work, then yes, I could see it happening.

As far as what Apple would do, I'd say trash it, it'd be more cost effective to recycle the parts than to repair and/or put new ones in.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
"My iphone fell out of my pocket and I ran over it with a fork truck."

I don't think I've ever seen that at the start of a post.:p

The ways people destroy their iPhones......

Hopefully the OP will let us know how things turn out.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
"My iphone fell out of my pocket and I ran over it with a fork truck."

I don't think I've ever seen that at the start of a post.:p

The ways people destroy their iPhones......

Hopefully the OP will let us know how things turn out.
Actually when you think about it, this could happen to any phone, but something like this would garner the most attention because it is an iPhone :apple::D;)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
The OOW replacement option says if the iPhone is in pieces, it's not available for the $199 replacement. However, "certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications." It's up to the Genius what they'll do with this.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Well I guess it depends on who you're talking to at the Apple store because they replaced my iPhone with water damage and separation of the glass/back. They replaced it no questions asked for the $199 fee. Guess it really depends on the "genius".

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

That sounds like one unlucky iPhone! :eek:
Best of luck with it. :)

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
O_O ouch That hurt your iPhone and will your wallet next

Apple might replace it for $199 Depends on te Genuis's mood.

leeroy.murray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
I went into the Apple store and waited for my appointment, the genius was really easy to deal with, as soon as he saw my phone he said it could be replaced for $199. The whole process took right around ten minutes. the longest part was when the genius had to fill out a note about the phone. He commented that there should be a catastrophic check box the form.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I went into the Apple store and waited for my appointment, the genius was really easy to deal with, as soon as he saw my phone he said it could be replaced for $199. The whole process took right around ten minutes. the longest part was when the genius had to fill out a note about the phone. He commented that there should be a catastrophic check box the form.

Good deal. Worked out well for you.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Fantastic news! :cool:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Congrats on getting it replaced. Try and be more careful with this one!;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.