SMB Woes on Mojave

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by MaxMike, Oct 8, 2018.

1. MaxMike macrumors 6502

First, a little background on setup:
    Mac: 2016 13" tbMBP
    Storage: FreeNAS 11 as VM on ESXi 6.5; all shares connected with SMB 3.02 per Terminal
    Network: 802.11ac Linksys WRT1900ACS

Since my 2011 MBP encountered death by AMD last week, I had to move up my timeline to hosting my iTunes library on my NAS sooner than I thought. While this seemed simple enough, it has been a headache for the past several days. I have my iTunes library set up as it's own share on FreeNAS and have it mounted directly in Finder (opening the share directly contains the ITL file, Media folder, etc). I launched iTunes with an Option+Click to choose the library file on the share and changed my preferences to use the folder in the share. This worked fine for a little while, then started getting constant errors about not being able to locate files and iTunes was reorganizing folders outside of the typical /iTunes Media/Music folder even after I manually moved them back to where they should be (kept moving them to the iTunes Media folder). I finally got fed up and am now running iTunes off an external USB 3.0 hard drive with a copy of the home folder from my 2011 MBP and it's perfectly fine. Has anyone had issues with SMB on Mojave? Before it's demise, my 2011 MacBook Pro never had any issues with writing to the NAS on High Sierra aside from being crippled by 802.11n Wi-Fi. I also kept hitting a -36 error in Finder on Mojave when copying files to the NAS - I did the dot_clean method in Terminal which had no effect. Never had that problem with my NAS on High Sierra, nor on my work laptop running Windows 10 1709 copying a 3GB file over SMB to test connection stability. Also had no problem copying from a USB hard drive connected to my Windows Server 2016 VM to the shares (these VMs coexist on the same ESXi host).

2. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

I've done everything I can reasonably think of to narrow this down and I'm thinking it has to be some kind of bug in Mojave. Copied a large file from a MacBook Air running High Sierra no problem, as well as my Boot Camp partition of Windows 10. Also just tried on a new user account on Mojave and got the same behavior - started copying then hit a -36 error and aborted the copy which never happened on this Mac before I updated. Did an Apple Support chat which was a complete waste of time. First person couldn't really assist (I expect this based on other support I have dealt with from another company) so I got transferred to someone else. Then I got disconnected, then reconnected with two different people, the latter who specifically told me they could only assist with USB hard drives and I'm SOL with Apple Support for any other kind of external storage. Submitted a feedback report so I'll just have to cross my fingers that things get fixed in 10.14.1.

3. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I connect to my NAS using SMB1/CIFS. No issues at all. I have my iTunes library dumped on there. My NAS doesn’t support SMB3, sorry.

4. MaxMike, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

This is still puzzling as to why SMB3 is giving issues. I tried on a 2014 MacBook Air my mom uses that I just updated to 10.14.1 and there were no issues copying a 1GB+ movie file. To rule out weird things stemming from updating, I did a clean install of 10.14.1 on my 2016 MBP and the file transfer still starts to hang. I did more searching since I couldn't force SMB2 through macOS, but did find how to force FreeNAS to use a certain range of SMB versions (specifically 2.002) when establishing connections and that makes the file transfer stable and successful (50-60MBps over 5GHz 802.11ac). So for the time being I'll see how well this works and if iTunes will still make a mess of it's library folder.

Update: After extended file transfers, it will do a few hundred megabytes of file copying, stall and hang for up to 30 seconds, continue, and do the same thing. Bright side is that the file operation at least completes.

5. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k