Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paolo8721

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Is there ANY information on 2011/2012 i7 Macboook Pros?

Thought I'd try again to get an answer to this.

There seems to be a serious lack of information on the later MBPs. Does anyone have experience with 2011/2012 machines?

Would it help if I take some detailed pics? Should I start a new thread?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

mac-n-sauce

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Thought I'd try again to get an answer to this.

There seems to be a serious lack of information on the later MBPs. Does anyone have experience with 2011/2012 machines?

Would it help if I take some detailed pics? Should I start a new thread?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

They have not changed drastically until you get to the new 2012 15" retina display.
You should probably state the problem.

paolo8721

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
You should probably state the problem.

Already have but no one replied - hence the 'trying again' to get more info.

Can anyone tell me where the jumper pads are on a 2011/2012 17" i7 2.4 MacBook Pro?

'm getting a green light at the magsafe but no charging and no power/boot.

The voltages at the 'DC in' board are 19.39 and 3.95.

The battery board terminals are reading 4 volts - that's the 4th and 6th terminals

Should I proceed with diagnosis - as a bit of a newbie - or wait until I can find someone to fix it?

Cheers.

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
Already have but no one replied - hence the 'trying again' to get more info.

Can anyone tell me where the jumper pads are on a 2011/2012 17" i7 2.4 MacBook Pro?

'm getting a green light at the magsafe but no charging and no power/boot.

The voltages at the 'DC in' board are 19.39 and 3.95.

The battery board terminals are reading 4 volts - that's the 4th and 6th terminals

Should I proceed with diagnosis - as a bit of a newbie - or wait until I can find someone to fix it?

Cheers.

get as scematic and find out what the voltages need to be first
then you start to work on fault line.. those values seem high anyway

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
where can i buy these fuses from ?

attachment.php

where can i buy these fuses from ?:D

thanks guys

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
Macbook pro 2011

i also got a 2011 i5 mint condition only problem is when i unplug the mag safe power it goes really slow.
so battery power = slow mac
powered mac = fast mac
is it
graphics related??? not enough power from battery to the gpu or cpu???. all apps load fine and full functionality just a 100x slower than normal takes minutes to boot instead of seconds. as soon as magsafe is plugged in full speed is restored instantly.

specs
8gb ram
Brand: Apple
Release Year: 2011
Release Month: February
Product Family: MacBook Pro
Screen Size: 13.3"
Memory: 8 GB
Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB
Processor Type: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
MPN: MC700B/A

thanks to all that help

paolo8721

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
get as scematic and find out what the voltages need to be first
then you start to work on fault line.. those values seem high anyway

Really!? Well that was a helpful reply...

This is why I'm asking for any help and information - I cant find a schematic or any other information specifically for a 2011/2012 i7 MBP.

Rather than just saying you think the values are high - can you tell me what they should be? Can you suggest where I can get a schematic?

U-234

Suspended
May 16, 2012
Chicago, IL
I just fixed a tricky liquid spill MBP13 2010 with a related issue. I was getting no display and no backlight. I had already ultrasonic cleaned the board and everything looked good. During troubleshooting I found that 3.3V was not making it to pin 4 which meant tha the LCD panel was unpowered. That in turn, was detected by the MCP and it refused to enable the backlight. It appeared that L9004 was open circuit but when I eventually found it that was not the case. So when probing pin 4 of the connector I noticed that it moved.... Not good. I removed the lvds connector and the trace from pin 4 to the vias under the connector was corroded open. I repaired the trace and put on a new lvds connector and it works fine now.

The reason for the long story is that the graphics detected that the panel was not powered and was smart enough to disable backlight. That suggests some sort of communication between the panel and the logic board. In your case, when you remove L9004 you are effectively powering down the LCD panel which suggests that either the logic board does not like something about the panel, or, as you suggested, maybe it is drawing too much current from the 3.3V rail causing the non-boot. You have tried two different panels and it still occurs? That suggests maybe pin 4 is compromised. Maybe shorted to adjacent pin? I would compare resistance measurements on pin 4 to a known good board.

Hi Dadioh, thanks for sharing that success story! I have a question for you in regards to the ultrasonic cleaner which I think is a great idea to professionally remove all the crap out of your LB. Back to my question did you dip in the whole LB or just part of it. The reason why I'm asking is because the memory slot part has some original stickers like SN and so. Did you clean the whole thing including the stickers or you tried to remove it.

There are screws that attach the memory slot it looks like it can be removed but when you look closer you see the solder pins that attach the memory slot to the rest of the LB. Just wondering how you approach that when you do your LB cleaning using ultrasonic method. Thanks

lee303

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
i also got a 2011 i5 mint condition only problem is when i unplug the mag safe power it goes really slow.
so battery power = slow mac
powered mac = fast mac
is it
graphics related??? not enough power from battery to the gpu or cpu???. all apps load fine and full functionality just a 100x slower than normal takes minutes to boot instead of seconds. as soon as magsafe is plugged in full speed is restored instantly.

specs
8gb ram
Brand: Apple
Release Year: 2011
Release Month: February
Product Family: MacBook Pro
Screen Size: 13.3"
Memory: 8 GB
Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB
Processor Type: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
MPN: MC700B/A

thanks to all that help

Having the exact same issue. ASD fails on VP0R sensor. Kernal_mode task runs at 280% when power adapter is removed.

Any idea which component is at fault?

- Lee

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
Having the exact same issue. ASD fails on VP0R sensor. Kernal_mode task runs at 280% when power adapter is removed.

Any idea which component is at fault?

- Lee

There was only one component that Had slight bit of corrosion which was north east of the fan
A tiny little fet six pins in total. The rest of board was clean and undamadged.
These fet pin were half the size of a a402 fuse and managed to resolder . But not known good!!
I can't get a multimeter on it as pins are too small

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 633

lee303

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I'll have a look when i'm back in on Monday, and let you know how it goes. I'll check that fet and get back to you.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Hi Dadioh, thanks for sharing that success story! I have a question for you in regards to the ultrasonic cleaner which I think is a great idea to professionally remove all the crap out of your LB. Back to my question did you dip in the whole LB or just part of it. The reason why I'm asking is because the memory slot part has some original stickers like SN and so. Did you clean the whole thing including the stickers or you tried to remove it.

There are screws that attach the memory slot it looks like it can be removed but when you look closer you see the solder pins that attach the memory slot to the rest of the LB. Just wondering how you approach that when you do your LB cleaning using ultrasonic method. Thanks

I just clean the whole board. The stickers don't seem to detach.

Richard-m

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
Hampshire, UK
I just clean the whole board. The stickers don't seem to detach.

Does anyone have recommendations for a compact ultrasonic cleaner that can take the Macbook range of logic boards? From Internet searches, it looks like you have to go for quite large cleaners to fit the boards.

Richard

lee303

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Does anyone have recommendations for a compact ultrasonic cleaner that can take the Macbook range of logic boards? From Internet searches, it looks like you have to go for quite large cleaners to fit the boards.

Richard

I've been using a 10L ultrasonic cleaner, fits the MBP board perfectly.

Does anyone have the a1278 boardview file at all?

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
Really!? Well that was a helpful reply...

This is why I'm asking for any help and information - I cant find a schematic or any other information specifically for a 2011/2012 i7 MBP.

Rather than just saying you think the values are high - can you tell me what they should be? Can you suggest where I can get a schematic?

Paolo
first of all i am sorry that my answer came across vague but it was i did not have enough time to type essay. but merely to inform you of what was needed. factual

Remember We are trying to help brother please save you sarcasm for someone who actually cares what "paolo" thinks!

as for your mac if indeed it is an i7 and you know the difference between a macbook and a gameboy?

the i7 unibody released Model A1297 / 2.2 or 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 processor
Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.4 17" Late 2011 Specs

Identifiers: Late 2011 17" - MD311LL/A - MacBookPro8,3 - A1297 - 2564*

as for a boardview well i put this model number in google and look what i found?? (sarcasm) not needed
http://laptop-schematics.com/view/8355/

and in future show a little decorum when you enter forums and people will help you...but not when "Paolo" feels like it ! but when members get a few mins to spare and help others. there are loads of posts i have posted that have not been answered but that does not stop me from re-posting or starting new threads.

when you get all this info together show your findings and i will gladly help when i get a few mins bearing in mind that my electrical engineering knowledge is limited. but im sure others will pitch in where i fail.;)

Warmest Regards
Musicsoul78

lee303

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Just to confirm, replaced the chip as you identified, and problem solved! One of the legs was corroded, but was barely visible to the eye.

Thankyou for your help!

paolo8721

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Paolo
first of all i am sorry that my answer came across vague but it was i did not have enough time to type essay. but merely to inform you of what was needed. factual

Remember We are trying to help brother please save you sarcasm for someone who actually cares what "paolo" thinks!

as for your mac if indeed it is an i7 and you know the difference between a macbook and a gameboy?

the i7 unibody released Model A1297 / 2.2 or 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 processor
Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.4 17" Late 2011 Specs

Identifiers: Late 2011 17" - MD311LL/A - MacBookPro8,3 - A1297 - 2564*

as for a boardview well i put this model number in google and look what i found?? (sarcasm) not needed
http://laptop-schematics.com/view/8355/

and in future show a little decorum when you enter forums and people will help you...but not when "Paolo" feels like it ! but when members get a few mins to spare and help others. there are loads of posts i have posted that have not been answered but that does not stop me from re-posting or starting new threads.

when you get all this info together show your findings and i will gladly help when i get a few mins bearing in mind that my electrical engineering knowledge is limited. but im sure others will pitch in where i fail.;)

Warmest Regards
Musicsoul78

I'll be a bit more succinct in my reply.

On second thoughts I might get kicked off the forum...

bosna1973

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
a1278 Macbook Pro

g3hotlocation.jpg
i have a water damaged a1278 Macbook Pro.
AC Adapter has slight green light.
Temporary SMC bypass boots machine: Yes
Battery' Not charging
Can you point me in the right direction, here is picture what I tested

aqibi2000

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2012
1. System won't turn on because 1. battery is totally depleted and the magsafe is good but when connected, the LED stays dark (no green or orange).
2. When a charged battery is put in, the system will turn on but no charging take place. System will not turn on with magsafe alone (battery taken out).
3.Once it is powered on with Battery and Macsafe plugged in, i can remove the Battery and the System
continues running. (still no green light)
4. DCIN board is ok
5. Chgr_acok with 3.4 V
6. also cleaned it completly
7. tried the smc reset

Did anyone fixed that Problem before?

For me it is a mid 2010 with a bit of water spilled into the back.

Would be nice if someone could help me with that problem !

I have exactly the same symptoms on a 2010 A1278 13' Macbook Pro also.
Please can somebody assist us.

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
Just to confirm, replaced the chip as you identified, and problem solved! One of the legs was corroded, but was barely visible to the eye.

Thankyou for your help!
Glad i could help buddy

thats fantastic could you tell me where i can purchase that part please.

many thanks

also what values were u getting from all 6 good pins please

Last edited:

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
I have exactly the same symptoms on a 2010 A1278 13' Macbook Pro also.
Please can somebody assist us.

check the 2a fuses
check post #1080
big white ones on logic board

or this chip check post
chip%20location.png

make sure they are not blown.

then check the pin read out on the intersil charging chip.
its the one north of battery connector

or it could be the sense line

or it could be the

Musicsoul78

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
UK ESSEX
Repairs MacBook Pro 13.3 Core i5 Laptop MC700 (Feb 2011) SlowMac When on Battery

please can some one identify this part many thanks
please check post #1082 for reference to location on board
NE of fan

:D

Screen%20Shot%202012-11-19%20at%2023.16.03.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.