OS Neutral SMITE on Steam (MOBA)

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Huntn, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Anyone play this? Unfortunately it's Windows or Bootcamp only.

Do you like HOTS- Heroes of the Storm a MOBAby Blizzard (Mac/Windows)? I still like HOTS, but I'd like to point you at Smite on Steam. I was hesitant at first, but the Arena play is much fun, at a higher intensity than HOTS fights, besides offering several game modes, like traditional lane combat (HOTS or Doda) in addition to the arena contests which HOTS does not offer.

Similar to HOTS, SMITE is free and has a group of characters, in this case Gods that can be played in whatever is offered for that day's rotation. Or you can just say the heck with it and buy all the Gods and future Gods for $29.99. After I felt good enough about this game, I made the purchase. Yes maybe it was an impulse buy, but I'm enjoying this game a lot. You can play in training mode, or against AI opponents, with real or AI team mates, or regular and/or ranked matches. I still like HOTS too, but this feels enough different that it's worth a look.

[​IMG]

2. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

HOTS is different.

4. asoksevil macrumors 6502

I prefer HOTS over SMITE, especially if you haven't played any MOBAs before... The mechanics are simpler and easier to get along with.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

For anyone who is familiar, I'm trying to figure out how much of a disadvantage I'm at by using Character Auto Builds?

If you make a custom build and set it to auto build, my impression is that it will auto build what you selected.

But does it stop where you stopped putting in items? I ask because the online builds don't always make a lot of sense to me. If I put some things that I like, I'm hoping that the game will continue to build on it's own. The game is not very friendly in this department as far as figuring it out. Thanks!

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Still playing, still fun! I'm finding it's arena mode more fun than HOTS. :p
    Mostly going with auto builds. If new to the game, focus on playing one of the Guardians (tanks) first. They seem to hold up best to taking a beating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Odin and Geb two favorites.​

7. af21187 macrumors 6502

Gave it a couple hours, didn't like it compared to HOTS.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Did you play Arena? This is it's best mode, otherwise for 3 lanes, HOTS is better IMO.

9. asoksevil macrumors 6502

BTW, they released a native Mac client a couple of months ago. I haven't tried it myself but I heard it was native.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I was wondering what MOBA was.

Thanks for the heads up - on both.

Both look gorgeous.

Have to wait to get home to load it on to my gaming PC...

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I took about 9 month break from this, but am now back playing. I forgot how much fun it is, but you need effective people on your team. Yep there is a Mac version. :) As far as HOTS vs Smite, they are both good games. I think Smite feels more dynamic at least in Arena play the only mode I play. I think HOTS is better for lane play.