Smithsonian Institution Museums ban selfie sticks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FieldingMellish, Mar 4, 2015.

1. FieldingMellish, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  2. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Good idea, total nuisance, and someone will get whacked by one in a crowded space, or accidentally whack an item on display.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a museum with priceless artifacts, you don't want to have a bunch of clueless tourists walking around with sticks just so they can take a selfie

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sounds like a most sensible policy, in the circumstances.

I actually had to look up what the words 'selfie stick' actually meant.

Good grief.

Now, in this context, what on earth does the word 'drone' actually mean?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Great idea by the Smithsonian.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Shouldn't be taking photos in a museum in the first place. You're there to enjoy the art/artifacts/etc after all.

7. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Hahaha ...

The only reason I knew, is our most recent two trips to Universal Studios the end of last year, they were _everywhere_. I keep seeing these long sticks with what appeared to be cameras popping up from the sea of people. Most of these appeared to have a tiny camera (vs. a phone) mounted, assuming it's sold all together (and camera electronics are so cheap now).

Do we take pics? Sure. We get out of the way, don't suddenly stop in a high traffic area, use an iPhone, quickly shoot (talking < 5 seconds) and we're off.

While I'm on it, you folks with the nice P&S cameras, that should be able to go from off to a nicely framed, instantly focused shot ... WHY do you take so long to shoot a photo? Learn to use the camera _before_ you're in a position to want to use it.

:D

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I have been working in some of the poorest most troubled spots in the world for most of the past two years, and 'selfie-sticks' are something none of us had ever even heard of.

What an extraordinary idea.

For what it is worth, my camera is entirely manual and still runs on film; when I remember to take it with me, it takes great photos.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Usually a camera equipped quadcopter. They come in all sizes and price ranges these days.

B

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

For once, I'm speechless.

Now, re the other usual context in which the noun 'drone' has been used, needless to say, I am, of course, quite familiar with that.

Right. A 'quadcopter'. I see. Well my grateful thanks to you for the explanation (and accompanying link).

This is one of the reasons I come on to this site most days; I actually get to see and learn things I would otherwise never encounter or hear about.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely.

Well, in light of the kind explanations vouchsafed to me as to what these implements actually are, I am at a loss to understand why anyone would view them as a necessary accompaniment in a museum where priceless artefacts are on display.

12. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

"Look Brosephs! It's me and King Tut! Party!!"

<insert photo I have no time to create>

13. rhett7660, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hey I love my selfie stick ( :D ), would I use it in an area like that, not a chance. But since we did get one, we love it. Have gotten some pretty cool shots with it to boot. But again, I wouldn't take it to place like a museum or an area that is super freaking crowded.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Okay, you have me laughing with that.

Well, as someone who never got the hang of 'selfies', it is clear that this takes things to a whole new dimension.

I have learned something new, today.

15. a.guillermo macrumors regular

I usually only see egotistical teenagers carrying around these sticks, and solipsistic individuals like these probably do not fully appreciate fine art. I say that anyone with a stick thusly named should not be permitted into any high society place.

My own solipsism is blinding me.....

16. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I'm not big on "selfies"...but I don't see the harm in it in this case. What's the difference between someone taking a selfie infront of some museum artifact, and someone having a friend take a picture of them in front of said artifact?

Yes, there are amazing, timeless, priceless artifacts all over the museum. Why can't someone view those artifacts, fully appreciate them, AND take a picture "with" them? Most people here make it sound like you can't go into a museum and take a few selfies while at the same time appreciating your surroundings. I don't understand why these things have to be mutually exclusive?

Personally, I would rather have a picture of myself standing next to the Mona Lisa, rather than a picture of "just" the Mona Lisa. Or just a simple memory of the Mona Lisa in my head, no picture at all.

Taking pictures of yourself next to museum artifacts might be a little narcissistic. But I also feel like it could enhance your experience in the long term, having pictures to look back at and appreciate.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Reading the article, it is clear that 'selfies' per se, are not prohibited, just the version known as 'selfie sticks'.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They're not banning selfies, they're banning selfie sticks:

[​IMG]

Last thing they need is some dingbat who's not paying attention to knock over a priceless artifact with their stupid selfie stick.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

20. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

.. Unless the selfie sticks were found to be carried low, such as underneath skirts? And they didn't want to create a rash of copy-cat offenders?

Next up: Stealthy selfie sticks.

What looks like an ordinary cane or the steadily tapping white cane for the blind, or the walking stick used by hikers, all of which can be configured to accept a camera at a split-second’s notice. It's Selfie-Time!

21. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Right. I guess I was getting more of a vibe of people being totally against selfies at the museum in general, rather than specifically using selfie sticks. I can understand why they don't want people bringing selfie sticks into the museum though. Like some have mentioned, there's always a risk that someone could knock something over with it, bump another museum goer with it, etc.

22. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Thank you 'Smithie' for implementing the new rule. You think people themselves would recognize the inherit danger in the museum, but some people did not get the 'common sense' text.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hehe, the usual joke is that "common sense isn't that common," but I have yet to find any proof that it exists at all. :p

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Well the quadcopter I think is kind of cool. For example my friend purchased a drone with a camera on it and then used it to take this aerial landscape video of a hotel and the beach he was staying at in Mexico. I thought the video was pretty cool actually. Of course there are privacy concerns, but that exists with existing types of technology anyway.

As for the selfie sticks, I agree those should be banned in the museum. You have seen these in pictures, but imagine walking on campus seeing some people using them. There's something so narcissistic about it, but I don't know what. I see people taking normal selfies which is fine, but with the stick it's a whole new category.