Smokers get more breaks during their work day than non-smokers...?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Prof., Apr 2, 2011.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I've noticed, at my job at least, smokers take more breaks than non-smokers. Since my job is Union, if you work four hours, you get one fifteen minute break. If you work seven or eight hours, you get two fifteen minute breaks, and if you so choose, an additional thirty minute lunch/dinner break that is unpaid.

What I've began noticing in recent weeks, now that it's getting warmer out, is that during my co-workers four or six hour shifts, they're taking one or two extra breaks; in addition to their sanctioned fifteen minute break.

Why should smokers get more breaks than non-smokers? Does anyone else see something wrong with this? Has anyone else noticed this at your place of employment?

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you should focus more on your own work ... and try not to be so petty with some of your co-workers.

3. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

They shouldn't, it's a management issue they need to address. Its also not a new concern. Started long ago when the tobacco industry started getting attacked and new policies put in place at businesses.

Heck now we have to have a birthing room or whatever they call it to allow breast feeding new mothers the time and a private place to feed. Problem is we have no female employees.

Gotta luv-it. I volunteered to manage the room and recruit but they said "No"

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I never agree with that. Now one company I am intersted in apply for makes it very clear to be hired you have to be a non-smoker. If you are a smoker you will not be hired. I am fine with companies making that policy. It means more producitve workers and cheaper health insurance for everyone because everyone else do not have to pay for the higher risk category the smokers are in.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You should have joined Smokers Local #201 union. Their collective bargaining agreement is better.

Seriously, that more companies don't ban smoking is beyond me. Less productivity, more sick days, higher insurance premiums, disgruntled coworkers who are jealous oe extra breaks...smokers are a PITA.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Buy some of those smoke free vapor cigarettes and go outside.:p If you can't beat them join them.

7. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I manage a small team of 5 on nights here in a hotel. Out of 5 of them, 2 smoke. I allow the other 3 to have the same length breaks as the smokers. It fixes the issue, yes it is unfair that smokers get to take "smoking" breaks, while non smokers don't get to have a smaller break without smoking. One of my night porters suggested the same thing as you did, this is when I allowed them to have breaks also.

Is that not discrimination? :S

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That is one darn lame union. Where I used to work (not in Illinois), it was understood that you got a 15 minute break at intervals of no more than two-and-a-half hours — according to state law.

9. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    rofl..

some of my co-workers used to get a few extra breaks as they claimed they needed to pray five times a day.. if this was the case thats fine but they were caught chillin in the caferteria... boss was not happy with them :mad:

p.s. if one was a chimney smoking, breast-feeding, religious mother
    wonder how many breaks one would get then?

10. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

11. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

That sounds fair, but out of curiosity - with all these breaks, how are they putting in all of the work hours they are supposed to have in their shift? Or are they all just equally short?

No.

It used to be 15 minutes per 4 hours where I worked in high school, and I believe it was also state law.

12. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

They still get all the work done, night shift in a hotel isn't exactly busy ;)

In total, they get arpund 45 min breaks, the non smokers take this all together, while smokers take it in smaller portions so they can smoke every so often.

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yeah, I would say this is the issue. It's not that smokers "get more breaks", it's that they are going outside without anyone stopping them. If management was on them and made the rule, I'm honestly betting most of them would comply.

I work in the entertainment industry, and thus know a LOT of smokers. Most of them take breaks when they are supposed to, and rarely just wander off when it's not break time. But for the most part, as long as your job is getting done in the time required, I'm cool with it. As long as there isn't a time-sensitive issue at hand, I don't really care that much. Of course, I used to be a smoker, and still do periodically, so I'm a bit more lenient on the issue.

On the other side of the fence, I used to have an assistant who DEMANDED hourly 15 minute smoke breaks. That means 25% of his day would be spent on break. This was also in a fast-paced, time-sensitive work environment. I told him I would be demanding his departure from work if he ever brought it up again. He whined for a few minutes, and that was that. Again, if he was a hard worker and got his work done in a timely manner, I would have had no problem with a few extra breaks. But he wasn't...he sucked.

And as for the person whose union job is two fifteen minute breaks and an unpaid 30 minute break "if you choose" during an 8-9 hour shift...you need a better union!

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

20 some years ago, people could just smoke anywhere (where I worked), so it was not an issue.

15. Abstract, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Based on my comprehensive experience of TV watching, I need to go back to the 60s and work for Sterling Cooper.

And if you really feel that smokers get away with more breaks than non-smokers, then just go out for a smoker's break and not smoke. Go for a walk.

At my job, people don't look over your shoulder, or babysit. You work. If you need to go for a short walk to clear your head, then go. If you need to go to the cafe and get a coffee, then go. Nobody is tracking you, bu at the same time, people expect you to be an adult and work an honest day. This doesn't mean you can't just go out for a 10 minute walk if you need it. I rarely do it because I rarely need it. In fact, I rarely even take my 15 minute break, although i have taken 30 minute breaks! I also get into work 30 minutes early everyday and start working 15 minutes early. ;)

Personally, I think smokers breaks are fine, as long as non-smokers are ALSO allowed unscheduled breaks when they need it.

Treat everyone like an adult, and most people won't abuse the system.

16. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Well even if they are getting more breaks they are the ones that are smoking, so you're better off :D

17. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is, but smokers aren't a protected class so it's totally legal.

18. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

If you need a break, just go to the restroom.

19. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I'm not so sure they do OP, they get the same times but at intervals at least at where my mate works and they cut lunch down too if they want extra time during the day for a cigarette :)

Where I worked though you get a 5-10 minute break each hour/hour and a half plus a 30 minute lunch with nothing deducted for extra smoking time :D I sure liked working there but it was an internship and I have since left :(

This is in the UK so it could be completely different in the US (most likely is).

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've noticed this a lot. Smokers do take more breaks then non smokers. Where I currently work not too many people smoke so it's not an issue

It used to bother me a little but then in the dead of winter you see them huddled outside taking a drag on their cancer stick freezing in the cold temps it's actually kind of sad and pathetic

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I've noticed it too. Since I've quit smoking, I don't get a break. Not that I'd want a break, I like to distract myself from wanting to smoke.

So basically, I don't care. It's their lungs. I'm happy to continue working whilst they smoke.

22. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Depends on the job. When I go outside for a cigarette and think about a problem I'm stuck with the whole time, I wouldn't consider this a break.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most people would disagree with you. Appearances are that your outside chatting with your friends not working. Most peoplemwho hear that I'm working on a problem while I smoke would roll their eyes in disbelief

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I would consider that a break. What is the difference between that and going for a coffee instead of a cig? Nothing, apart from people don't need a coffee every hour of the day. You can still think about the 'problems you're stuck with' no matter what you do in your break. After all, it's not as if thinking about a problem is actually fixing a problem is it, which is what you would be doing if you didn't smoke.