SMS on iPad

HenMaster6000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
Don't you feel unfulfilled every time your iPhone buzzes but your iPad mailbox remains unchanged? The fact that the iPad can do everything the iPhone can except make calls and send SMS messages makes me crave a more complete solution.

Does AT&T have any API or app to check messages without using a device attached to their network? Combined with push, this would fill what's becoming a noticeable gap on the iPad.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
But don't you normally have your phone with you anyway? Why would you need to check your SMS using your iPad if you can just look at your phone?

HenMaster6000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
It's not totally necessary, the whole experience would just feel more complete. It just feels weird right now to switch to the iPhone, because texting is about as important to me in terms of volume as email is, and it's really the only thing aside from voice that the iPad can't do better than the phone.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
I just use Google Voice which sends all texts to my email which I can then reply to. Voicemails also get recorded and transcripted, which i can also check from my email.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Ugh, I agree with you HenMaster6000. It's really annoying that a device with the same OS but greater abilities can't handle this simple little task. Why keep track of two device when you can just use one? Why go digging for your phone when it chirps with an SMS message when your iPad is already in your lap? With a 3g iPad, you have two nearly-identical devices on the same network, yet you can't access your own SMS messages. I wonder if there's a way to install the SMS app from an iPhone on a jailbroken iPad, but even if you did, getting your messages routed there would be another issue. I know Google Voice offers somewhat of a solution, but I've had my non-Google Voice number for nearly a decade and am way too attached with it to part with it now :p

As for calls, that's another thing I'll miss on an iPad. Now, I've heard people ridiculing the idea of holding an iPad up to your ear to make a call, but with Apple's headphones, that requirement is bypassed. I almost never hold my iPhone up to my ear to make a call, instead opting to use headphones to call hands-free. Why not do the same on an iPad?

I'm not an iPad owner yet but once I am, I'll be looking for solutions to these issues...hopefully someone comes up with something...

danpass

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2009
Miami, FL
I'm ambivalent about this.

I keep all my text conversations. Having them on two devices would break up the chain.

disclaimer: most of my text conversations are business related though.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I'm ambivalent about this.

I keep all my text conversations. Having them on two devices would break up the chain.

disclaimer: most of my text conversations are business related though.
Yeah, I agree about that too. I kind of wish texting were like emails or IMs...that all messages would get sent to all devices, and replies, too. Just like how I wish I had an app on my Mac that would "ring" when my iPhone rings, so that I don't have to move it from its charger or dig it out of its bag.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
100% agree with this. I asked the developers of bite SMS about exploring an app that would link the iPad and iPhone so you could send from the iPad and the iPhone would send it. They said they would explore the idea when the iPad has been jailbroken! Can't wait to use quickreply on my iPad!

peestandingup

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2006
Just make the switch to a google voice number & you'll never be without your text messages again. And they'll also be with you forever.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Anything besides a main carrier SMS plan has a terrible delay on SMS. Googlevoice, aim, prepaid providers like virgin and all the text apps in the app store all have a horrible delay. I think a direct link to your cell will the best quickest and most straight forward.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
TextPlus is great for sending and recieving SMS on the iPad, and it's free too. The delay is usually only a few seconds for me.

cocoysalinas

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
SMS via bluetooth to iPhone.

Palm TX had an SMS application that retrieved and sended sms messages from any bluetooth phone, it was quite handy. Will someone come up with a similar app?

cocoysalinas

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
I mean...

I mean share sms text messages between iPhone and iPad via bluettoth, it would work great for all the iPads without 3G.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
This thing isn't a phone, it's a tablet computer, SMS only really comes on things that are supposed to serve as a cell phone. I usually have my iPhone on me at all times, the only thing that I'm not using as much is my MacBook pro :D

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
100% agree with this. I asked the developers of bite SMS about exploring an app that would link the iPad and iPhone so you could send from the iPad and the iPhone would send it. They said they would explore the idea when the iPad has been jailbroken! Can't wait to use quickreply on my iPad!
That sounds awesome!

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
But don't you normally have your phone with you anyway? Why would you need to check your SMS using your iPad if you can just look at your phone?
I send text messages from both devices. TextPlus allows you to send an unlimited number of texts but my iPhone Text plan is limited.