SMS on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HenMaster6000, Apr 7, 2010.

1. HenMaster6000 macrumors regular

Don't you feel unfulfilled every time your iPhone buzzes but your iPad mailbox remains unchanged? The fact that the iPad can do everything the iPhone can except make calls and send SMS messages makes me crave a more complete solution.

Does AT&T have any API or app to check messages without using a device attached to their network? Combined with push, this would fill what's becoming a noticeable gap on the iPad.

2. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

But don't you normally have your phone with you anyway? Why would you need to check your SMS using your iPad if you can just look at your phone?

3. HenMaster6000 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not totally necessary, the whole experience would just feel more complete. It just feels weird right now to switch to the iPhone, because texting is about as important to me in terms of volume as email is, and it's really the only thing aside from voice that the iPad can't do better than the phone.

4. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

I just use Google Voice which sends all texts to my email which I can then reply to. Voicemails also get recorded and transcripted, which i can also check from my email.

5. ks-man macrumors 6502a

TextEm
    If they text back to you it will go to your e-mail (assuming you put that field in).

Or just follow these instructions:
    How To Text from Computer

6. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Ugh, I agree with you HenMaster6000. It's really annoying that a device with the same OS but greater abilities can't handle this simple little task. Why keep track of two device when you can just use one? Why go digging for your phone when it chirps with an SMS message when your iPad is already in your lap? With a 3g iPad, you have two nearly-identical devices on the same network, yet you can't access your own SMS messages. I wonder if there's a way to install the SMS app from an iPhone on a jailbroken iPad, but even if you did, getting your messages routed there would be another issue. I know Google Voice offers somewhat of a solution, but I've had my non-Google Voice number for nearly a decade and am way too attached with it to part with it now :p

As for calls, that's another thing I'll miss on an iPad. Now, I've heard people ridiculing the idea of holding an iPad up to your ear to make a call, but with Apple's headphones, that requirement is bypassed. I almost never hold my iPhone up to my ear to make a call, instead opting to use headphones to call hands-free. Why not do the same on an iPad?

I'm not an iPad owner yet but once I am, I'll be looking for solutions to these issues...hopefully someone comes up with something...

7. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I'm using Text + and love it....

http://www.textplus.com/get-textplus/

8. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I'm ambivalent about this.

I keep all my text conversations. Having them on two devices would break up the chain.

disclaimer: most of my text conversations are business related though.

9. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Yeah, I agree about that too. I kind of wish texting were like emails or IMs...that all messages would get sent to all devices, and replies, too. Just like how I wish I had an app on my Mac that would "ring" when my iPhone rings, so that I don't have to move it from its charger or dig it out of its bag.

10. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

100% agree with this. I asked the developers of bite SMS about exploring an app that would link the iPad and iPhone so you could send from the iPad and the iPhone would send it. They said they would explore the idea when the iPad has been jailbroken! Can't wait to use quickreply on my iPad!

11. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

12. peestandingup macrumors regular

Just make the switch to a google voice number & you'll never be without your text messages again. And they'll also be with you forever.

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Anything besides a main carrier SMS plan has a terrible delay on SMS. Googlevoice, aim, prepaid providers like virgin and all the text apps in the app store all have a horrible delay. I think a direct link to your cell will the best quickest and most straight forward.

14. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

TextPlus is great for sending and recieving SMS on the iPad, and it's free too. The delay is usually only a few seconds for me.

15. cocoysalinas macrumors newbie

SMS via bluetooth to iPhone.

Palm TX had an SMS application that retrieved and sended sms messages from any bluetooth phone, it was quite handy. Will someone come up with a similar app?

16. cocoysalinas macrumors newbie

I mean...

I mean share sms text messages between iPhone and iPad via bluettoth, it would work great for all the iPads without 3G.

17. bmb012 macrumors 6502

18. otis123 macrumors 6502a

This thing isn't a phone, it's a tablet computer, SMS only really comes on things that are supposed to serve as a cell phone. I usually have my iPhone on me at all times, the only thing that I'm not using as much is my MacBook pro :D

19. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

That sounds awesome!

20. wgary macrumors member

Agree

21. heathpitts macrumors member

I agree 100% on this! I would like to have an iPad app and a windows/mac app as well for my days sitting at my work laptop. Bite SMS is great. Sadly I updated my 3GS and now I cannot jailbreak for now :(

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

23. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Google voice is currently not available. Invite only!

24. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Yep, I agree. I was so impressed I purchased the ad free version :)

25. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I send text messages from both devices. TextPlus allows you to send an unlimited number of texts but my iPhone Text plan is limited.