SMS & pics

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rob129, Oct 15, 2008.

1. rob129 macrumors newbie

Did apple ever make it possible to send Pics thru SMS like every other phone on teh market?:cool:

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

sms+pics = old skool MMS
    Apple is all about nu skool :D u email pics to people that generally have no clue how to access email on their phones!

Lord Jobs has spoke so it shall be

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If your phone is jailbroken then it is possible through SwirlyMMS. Otherwise from Apple the answer is no.

4. gr8gonzo macrumors member

gr8gonzo

losers

it is ridiculous how you have to goto a website and memorize the f*&^in password and ID to see a sms, come on apple get with it!

5. Joe23 macrumors 6502

http://www.o2mms.net - If you're in the UK.

6. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

if sending MMS is old school...
    then sending SMS is old school as well.

why doesn't apple just get rid of SMS and say "texting is old technology, just send an email if you want to say something"?

7. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

+1

I received 3 "MMS" messages over the weekend and had to flip back and forth between the username and password screen and the website to see them.

8. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Because apple failed miserably in trying to deliver a push e-mail service :D

MMS is newer than e-mail anyway so it's hardly old-school. E-mail is oldschool and i think someone said before, no one knows how to get e-mail on their phone so why rely on it when 99.9% of other phone users don't use e-mail!!! :rolleyes:

9. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i know...i was being SARCASTIC!

point is...MMS is NOT old or dead...apple just has some stick up their butt about it.

the iphone should have MMS, SMS and email.

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

i know...... don't shoot me jeez!

11. garybUK Guest

garybUK

if i go out with friends and we take pics, i'll bluetooth or MMS them to them so they have copies, it's perfect! I will also see something in the shop, take a pic and MMS it to people to see if it's what they want.... there's so many uses for MMS.

And the world is bigger than America and a lot more networks than Verizon you know, MMS here is just like a fancy SMS.

12. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

MMS is so 2006

13. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

+1

I'll take the real internet and everything else this phone can do over a crappy LG with it's biggest feature being the ability to send those chain letter picture messages with sound clips any day.

14. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Yeah, like Java, Flash etc.... :rolleyes: LG are rubbish anyway, ill stick to my N96 :)

15. GERGreg427 macrumors member

GERGreg427

MMS Reasons

Apple dosn't use MMS because:

1) it costs to much to the end user. Why send a pic for $1 when you can email it for free.

2)Why would Apple want people MMSing a photo from a phone with a 5.2mp camera so iPhone owners see how much better that camera is.

I'm not saying i hate the iPhone's camera, i actually think it is the best camera i have ever had on a phone to date, but, if a larger heavier phone has a larger camera in it, Apple doesn't want it on their iPhone to discurage users.

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Because of course data charges for the reciever are totally free. That is assuming they know how to setup email on their phone which can be quite a complicated procedure.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

At this point, I doubt Apple will introduce MMS.

18. rwbmke macrumors newbie

Maybe a bit off topic, but has anyone else received an MMS and tried to open it and get the cannot open page message? I've tried many times to open the page and it always times out. This is on 3G.

19. Ferrd macrumors regular

Ferrd

I've had that same issue. That to me is the biggest problem by not having MMS. I can live without it...but it would sure be a lot easier if the damn web site to view the pictures worked like it should.

20. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

The ATT site for retrieving MMS messages is pure garbage. I suspect it's a 486 running WinNT 3.5 and is sitting under the desk of the fellow stuck in the basement.

I've never seen such a slow server from a large corporation like that one.

ATT could at least encode the login as part of a hyperlink in the SMS message received so that you don't have to deal with the annoying hex number logins.

21. mutantblack macrumors regular

I use quite a lot of MMS. But after using iphone, i terribly miss MMS and being able to share ringtones and pics with bluetooth. I don't understand why iphone cannot do what other old school phone can. Sometimes I just wanna go back to my TILT.

22. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I don't get any type of message when I receive an MMS at all I would like to have the mymessage.com thing or whatever it's called.

23. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I agree with you, but most people I know have those crappy LG's and even most who don't (Blackberrys or newer Verizon phones: ENV2, Voyager, etc.) don't have email on their phones. While I prefer to email, MMS is still a commonly used feature for non-iPhone users and it would be a nice feature to add until we transition away from MMS and go to email/bluetooth exchanges only.

On another note, the locked bluetooth on the iPhone is the feature (or lack there of) that pisses me off the most. F*** AT&T and there retarded policy, we should be able to send things to other phones and computers via Bluetooth. Even my old RAZR v3i could send things via bluetooth. As another user posted in a different thread, it's like using a Verizon phone with bluetooth and is barely worth having at all.

Also consider that Bluetooth headsets are becoming accessories for 3 MAIN crowds: those who need to use it because it's a law (like here in California), the over 45 crowd, or poor/ghetto-chic people who are trying to look like they have money. -Not my own words, some other user posted that but I really am starting to agree...

24. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Yes, it's called email.

MMS is sooooo 2002 (I was living in Asia then).