SMS Relay Setup

garettap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Got 8.1 and Yosemite GM. Flip the SMS Relay toggle from my phone and it wakes up the messages app on my Macbook Air, but there's no pop up with any code.

I don't see a code anywhere at all!

Anyone else having this issue?

tosbsas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
Got 8.1 and Yosemite GM. Flip the SMS Relay toggle from my phone and it wakes up the messages app on my Macbook Air, but there's no pop up with any code.

same here - to me it looks liek facetime and imessage server is down

aldoF

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
FWIW...it worked really sweet while testing in the early beta stages, I miss it....so looking forward to getting it back

DanRyb

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
Agreed! Loved being able to SMS Text from my MacBook or my iPad. Really convenient and I thought it worked beautifully. Guess they didn't lol. But either way, I'm really anxious to get this back!

tomg2tg

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
When it was working (and will be working) does it work through iMessage to relay the SMS or does it work through handoff?
Basically what i'm trying to find out is if it could forward the sms to my other iphone without it having to be on the same wifi and in bluetooth range.
I've heard conflicting information on how this will work.

thanks!

garettap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Try turning the text message relay toggle off and on. A lot f times, this will trigger the code popping up on your Mac.
Been toggling all day hahah.

My computer knows it's happening because Messages pops open, but there's no code to be found. :(

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
SMS was working this morning, guess I don't have enough android friends :)

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Make sure that in OS X, in the "Messages" preferences/accounts tab, the iPhone phone number is (also) selected. That prevented my Mac from popping up the verification message from my iPhone.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA

Exactly where in Settings is the Toggle. Is it NEW with 8.1? I am on 8.02.

UPDATE: I installed 8.1 and it is NEW under Settings / Messages / Text Message Forwarding - Had to enter code from both my Mac Mini and my Macbook Air. Works fine now.

Last edited:

recklesslife85

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Wales, UK
Phones calls work for me but text relay does nothing. Tried everything so must be a problem Apples side.

iPhone 6 Plus - 8.0.2
iMac - 10.10 preview 4

garettap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Tried on another computer - same result - wakes up the messages app but no code to be found.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure you need 8.1 at this point. I installed it, got a prompt to set up relay automatically, entered the codes from both my Macs, and it's been working perfectly. Messages show up at exactly the same time on phone and computers, and it even handles group MMS + pictures without a hitch. Pretty impressed so far.

aldoF

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
will sms relay also work on the iPads?
yes it will, at least it did....whenever they flip that switch as long as you're using iOS8 and Yosemite all iMessage and Text Messages will appear across all devices, this might not be everyone's cup of tea but I love it!

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
will sms relay also work on the iPads?
I had to put 8.1 on my iPad to get my iPad to work along with my 2 Macs which started working after I put 8.1 on my iPhone. Had to allow my iPad under iPhone Text Message Forwarding like I did for my Mac's. Working great so far.

garettap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Driving me nuts.

I've got Yosemite GM 2 and iOS 8.1 B2 and I still can't get a pop-up with the syncing code to appear.

I think it's just not my time yet :(

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
What's driving me nuts is that the calls received on my iPhone do not appear on my Mac as an alert/banner.

I can start a call from my Mac and receive SMS/iMessages with no issues, so I guess everything is set up correctly.

Myabe there's something wrong with the Notification Center preferences but I can't still figure out what the cause might be.

Frustrating.

All I want is my Mac to let me know when I'm receiving a call on my iPhone. Maybe I'm asking for too much.... or leave my request to the next iOS/OS X iteration. Or buy a new Mac.

Time will tell.

Mark.