• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Snap is designing a new set of "Spectacles" smart glasses that have augmented reality capabilities, reports The Information. Snap has sold several versions of its Spectacles, but current options do not have AR features and are instead equipped with a camera for uploading content to social network Snapchat.

snap-spectacles.jpg

The augmented reality Spectacles will be aimed at developers and creators rather than the consumer market. Developers and creators design the AR effects on the Snapchat app, and The Information suggests that Snap is hoping developers will use the Spectacles to build out new software experiences for the glasses, with the aim of later providing the AR glasses to all users.

The glasses, which are the first to include displays, will be able to superimpose existing Snapchat lenses on the real world, allowing people to see Snapchat filters on actual objects and people. There will be two cameras capable of recording videos, similar to the current version, with that video then able to be shared on Snapchat.

Snap is planning to unveil the Spectacles at its annual developer conference that will be held in May, and the AR glasses come amid rumors that Apple is working on its own version of smart glasses with AR capabilities.

Apple has an AR/VR headset in the works that could come out as early as 2022, but the smart glasses that focus on augmented reality are not expected until at least 2023.

Article Link: Snap Working on Advanced Smart Glasses With Augmented Reality Capabilities

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Will they release it into regular retail channels or will they pull that pop-up kiosk store stunt all over again?

Comment

Macintosh IIvx

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2021
So far their Spectacles have been a failure. Interesting to see if they keep pushing ahead or if they abandon it at some point.

Reactions: Huck
Comment

Fraserh02

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2017
So... everyone hated Google Glass because of privacy issues but now we're all ok with it...?
I had a pair and I thought they were really cool for the time. Back in 2013 it wasn’t as socially acceptable to have a camera out all of the time. This has now changed however with body cams, apps like Snapchat and tiktok where people record every moment. I remember people would look at me weird, both because of this weird thing on my head but also because they assumed it had a camera on them.

I only had two encounters where somebody got annoyed at me wearing it, and one was in Harrods in London the security asked me to take them off because they didn’t like body worn camera, which I found funny because the person next to me was taking a photo on their phone of a gold Xbox and apparently that was fine (I wasn’t even taking photos).

Comment

subi257

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
I wonder if that could be kind of the future of iDevices...as far as those, they are your screen if you will, all kinds of crazy resolutions and then there is just a pocket sized CPU that has battery to run for a day or too.

Comment

nitramluap

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2015
I can see augmented reality glasses having a place in many, many industries, however I see them having no place in society broadly (at least not for long. People aren't going to be happy having cameras pointed at them when having a conversation with some random person. It's a privacy nightmare.

Reactions: tranceking26
Comment

wigby

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I only had two encounters where somebody got annoyed at me wearing it, and one was in Harrods in London the security asked me to take them off because they didn’t like body worn camera, which I found funny because the person next to me was taking a photo on their phone of a gold Xbox and apparently that was fine (I wasn’t even taking photos).
Security doesn't mind if they know what you're doing such as taking a picture with your phone. The problem with most body cams is that it's unclear if the device is recording or not which makes your intent unclear to the security and that could be considered a threat by them.

Comment

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
If they make them black and hide the cameras like a MacBook Pro or the iPhone front face cam then they don't look like glasses for geeks.

Comment

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
No one cares, no one in any number will ever buy them, but it keeps the stock market goons happy thinking the company is doing something. It's a scam more or less.

Reactions: qoop and Huck
Comment

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
Personally, I'm really interested in this space. I cannot wait to purchase AR glasses...just keep imagining a HUD like the original Halo, LOL! Although, I don't think they should include a camera, way too susss for obvious reasons.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.