Snapchat Launches New Water Resistant Spectacles for $150

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following a series of rumors, Snapchat today launched the latest version of its connected sunglasses, the Spectacles. The company says that the new pair of Spectacles have a smaller profile, so they're slightly less bulky on the face than the original.

[​IMG]

Additionally, Snapchat is pitching the new Spectacles as a go-to summer accessory for its users thanks to added water resistance. Snapchat's web page for the device says that users will be able to wear them at pool parties and on rainy days, and they "can even take a photo or video in shallow water."
    The second version of the Spectacles has improved audio, and can record clips that last up to 30 seconds long by tapping a button on the left side of the frames, like the original pair. Pictures can be captured now as well by tapping and holding the same button. Snapchat says the HD transfer process to the mobile app is "up to four times faster," and the Spectacles can take up to 150 videos or 3,000 photos before needing to import to the Snapchat app.

Snapchat is also now offering Spectacles in prescription and polarized lenses through a partnership with Lensabl, only for users in the United States. The new Spectacles are available to order today in the U.S., UK, Canada, and France for $149.99. Colors include Sapphire, Onyx, and Ruby, and each option has two lens shades to choose from.

Article Link: Snapchat Launches New Water Resistant Spectacles for $150

2. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Just incase the creep at the pool wasn’t creepy enough. Now with water resistance, not only will your specs cover your wandering eyes at the pool! You can now take pics and videos of creepshots above and UNDER water!!!

3. JimmyBanks6 macrumors member

JimmyBanks6

One massive flop wasn’t embarrassing enough, they’ve decided to go for a second.

4. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

The provider for the prescription lenses doesn't take any insurance, looks like I won't buy them!

5. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

6. elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

Would someone just release Star Trek NG glasses already?

star-trek-the-next-generation-levar-burton-0.jpg

7. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Why don't they invest the time / money in making some glasses that look good ?

I don't know anyone who would wear glasses that look as bad as those.

8. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

At least they're launching these slightly more sensibly than last time. They might gain a bit more momentum as opposed to the previous trickle launch.

I think these rely on it becoming a 'fad' with kids and young people who use snapchat - but unlike most fads, we're talking a pretty sizeable investment up front which I really think will hurt adoption rates. Installing Snapchat for free on a device you already own is one thing, $150 for some glasses whose only extra utility is capturing circular video is harder to stomach.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

10. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

These look like they belong in cheap Christmas Crackers, along with the nail clippers, jumpy frog, plastic spider, mini playing cards, comb, cheap metal puzzle and orange fish that tells your fortune.

11. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Same ugly glasses, but now waterproof! They've clearly fixed everything!

12. 98 others macrumors newbie

98 others

I question the legality of recording someone without their consent or knowledge in some states.

13. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

I would buy them for my trips to exotic locations if they looked better and I could install prescription lenses. I already have a GoPro in the pool and the beach most of the time so this would work great.

14. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

15. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Fixed that for you. ;)

Me, I am starting up a storage and waste disposal company. Should make a fortune out of Snap.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

How’s your Google Glass inventory?

Amazon Fire Phone?

17. OtherJesus macrumors 6502

OtherJesus

That’s my thought too.

Not that some people wouldn’t love that design, but there is no way that one style works for all when it comes to sunglasses.

18. mrzz Suspended

I would even say it's a bit dangerous to wear them as not all the people are willing to be recorded by a silly obstacle owners..

19. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

20. 98 others macrumors newbie

98 others

How many of these are going to capture the moment a right hook removes them from their face.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s actually a good question. Technically They are meant for anyone, but I honestly see this appealing to a really younger demographic (more or less teenagers) who just want to have fun with these. I think that’s really what they’re meant to be, just to have fun and utilize the technology for those who appreciate Snapchat/social media. Its an extremely niche product, but some will appreciate the spectacles.

22. cocky jeremy Suspended

cocky jeremy

Most people won't even know WTF they are, so they can't really care.

23. testcard, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018

testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

24. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

So, the original model didn't sell well, and someone in the organization said, "well, of course, that's because they aren't waterproof", and all the people around the table nodded in agreement?

25. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

As far as glasses go, they don't look bad.