Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a series of rumors, Snapchat today launched the latest version of its connected sunglasses, the Spectacles. The company says that the new pair of Spectacles have a smaller profile, so they're slightly less bulky on the face than the original.

spectacles-version-2.jpg

Additionally, Snapchat is pitching the new Spectacles as a go-to summer accessory for its users thanks to added water resistance. Snapchat's web page for the device says that users will be able to wear them at pool parties and on rainy days, and they "can even take a photo or video in shallow water."
We want Spectacles to be the simplest and easiest way to make memories from your point of view, and we appreciate all of your thoughtful feedback -- many of these improvements were inspired by you!
The second version of the Spectacles has improved audio, and can record clips that last up to 30 seconds long by tapping a button on the left side of the frames, like the original pair. Pictures can be captured now as well by tapping and holding the same button. Snapchat says the HD transfer process to the mobile app is "up to four times faster," and the Spectacles can take up to 150 videos or 3,000 photos before needing to import to the Snapchat app.

Snapchat is also now offering Spectacles in prescription and polarized lenses through a partnership with Lensabl, only for users in the United States. The new Spectacles are available to order today in the U.S., UK, Canada, and France for $149.99. Colors include Sapphire, Onyx, and Ruby, and each option has two lens shades to choose from.

Article Link: Snapchat Launches New Water Resistant Spectacles for $150

Reactions: AngerDanger

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
The provider for the prescription lenses doesn't take any insurance, looks like I won't buy them!

Kognito

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
At least they're launching these slightly more sensibly than last time. They might gain a bit more momentum as opposed to the previous trickle launch.

I think these rely on it becoming a 'fad' with kids and young people who use snapchat - but unlike most fads, we're talking a pretty sizeable investment up front which I really think will hurt adoption rates. Installing Snapchat for free on a device you already own is one thing, $150 for some glasses whose only extra utility is capturing circular video is harder to stomach.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
These look like they belong in cheap Christmas Crackers, along with the nail clippers, jumpy frog, plastic spider, mini playing cards, comb, cheap metal puzzle and orange fish that tells your fortune.

Reactions: twistedpixel8

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I would buy them for my trips to exotic locations if they looked better and I could install prescription lenses. I already have a GoPro in the pool and the beach most of the time so this would work great.

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Why don't they invest the time / money in making some glasses that look good ?

I don't know anyone who would wear glasses that look as bad as those.
That’s my thought too.

Not that some people wouldn’t love that design, but there is no way that one style works for all when it comes to sunglasses.

mrzz

Suspended
Mar 25, 2017
I question the legality of recording someone without their consent or knowledge in some states.
I would even say it's a bit dangerous to wear them as not all the people are willing to be recorded by a silly obstacle owners..

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
And who would buy these?

That’s actually a good question. Technically They are meant for anyone, but I honestly see this appealing to a really younger demographic (more or less teenagers) who just want to have fun with these. I think that’s really what they’re meant to be, just to have fun and utilize the technology for those who appreciate Snapchat/social media. Its an extremely niche product, but some will appreciate the spectacles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.