Snapchat Spectacles Now Available to Purchase Online for $130

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After debuting exclusively inside special pop-up vending machines last year, Snapchat has today begun selling its video-recording Spectacles online for $129.99. Like in the vending machines, the Spectacles come in Coral, Black and Teal, and include a charging case and cable. At the time of writing, shipping estimates sit at a delivery time within the next 2-4 weeks.

[​IMG]

Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel said that the response to the Spectacles has been positive ever since the vending machines began appearing in California and New York. But, as TechCrunch uncovered in Snap's IPO filing, the company mentioned that "the launch of Spectacles . . . has not generated significant revenue for us." The filing further stated: "We expect to experience production and operating costs related to Spectacles that will exceed the related revenue in the near future."
    When synced with the Snapchat mobile app, users can tap a button on Spectacles to begin recording a ten-second video, which is saved in the "Memories" section of the app and can be revisited and posted to their Story. Even though distribution has been added online, Snapchat said that customers can still expect the vending machines to appear at random new locations in the future, after they have a "brief nap."

Article Link: Snapchat Spectacles Now Available to Purchase Online for $130

2. Jsameds macrumors 68040

3. man3ster macrumors member

4. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I'm ashamed to be a millennial. This is ridiculous.

5. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

The Snap IPO could be a success, but I really doubt it.

Stuff like this is a starting point for hardware, sure - maybe it could transition into AR at some point, but their company papers/messy roadmap indicate a volatile run ahead.

6. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Perfect for all the fools that wanted Google Glass but couldn't afford them.

7. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Yep, we're the first generation to have goofy-as-hell clothing and odd cultural phenomena.

If anybody needs me, I'll be putting on my bellbottoms, hairspraying my mullet, and heading off to the local building with many computer cabinets and bespectacled children.

8. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

Don't worry too much about it. Time and reality has this way of making things right and eventually all/most of the clueless subset of every generation figures out what works and what should've never seen the light of day. As for Snapchat, I think their future may be in doubt.

9. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Not even remotely close to the same product... I was interested in google glass, but have absolutely zero interest in this.

10. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

My point being it's a useless product that really doesn't serve a need. Google Glass had many more features, but the product itself simply had no need and not much realistic use outside of showing it off.

11. freediverx macrumors 6502a

I've yet to see one of these in the wild.

12. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

Think of all the money you'll save by never having dates.

13. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

I keep wondering when bellbottoms are going to be coming back. I cringe.

14. zantafio macrumors regular

in term of design, what a tour de force!

Not only are they ugly, but they even managed to offer them in a selection of two god awful colors

15. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

If I see you in public wearing these I'll punch them off of your face personally. Not just because of their horrendous looks, but also because I value my privacy and don't really like people with camera's in them walking about and being able to take pictures everywhere in an instant. Not happening.

16. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Neither does snapchat itself serve a need. It's never done what is was created to do, thanks to screenshots. The point of these glasses is not to serve a need. They're fun. And there's going to be a group of snapchat customers who think they're fun. The fact they aren't as serious as Google Glass will go a long way toward mitigating the damage GG did for this kind of technology. The kinds of customers who buy them may as well. The CEO of SnapChat is engaged to model Miranda Kerr, and all it will take is her and her friends lounging around the pool in the Maldives having fun with them in a Vanity Fair article, and a market will be created.

17. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Never mind that almost everyone who would buy something like this already has their phone out while they're walking around. It's pretty easy to start recording. The primary demographic I see for something like this is self-absorbed vloggers. They can add it to their arsenal of gimbals, GoPros, Sony A7SII, Rode shotgun mic, and DJI Mavic or Phantom Drones.

18. blcamp macrumors regular

blcamp

With crippety-crap like this, I seriously worry about the future of humanity.

19. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

You're right to be worried, because the future of humanity looks more like the Spectacles than the smartphone.

20. lunarworks macrumors 65816

If you're a geek, sure. But these are marketed towards the "life of the party" type. The "hipster", as you may disparagingly say. Snapchat is a huge part of their social lives.

I may be an asocial grown-up with no social life, but as a parent I'm generally aware of what's going on with youth.

21. smacrumon, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

I really like what they've done with the lens finishing and marketing of this.

I personally don't get snap craze, I can barely use the app, but I do appreciate how they're doing something unique.

22. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

23. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

Alonso Quijano

I'm sorry to tell you but even without Spectacles I take pictures and video of people in public all the time. Public life has no expectation of privacy.

24. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Haven't they already cycled back through like, twice under different names?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2017 ---
    Spoken like a true industry insider?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2017 ---
    Wait, you mean that if I'm out in public where people can see me I should expect people to see me? What is this madness?? /s

25. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

I agree, the expectation should remain that people should have privacy and not be broadcast without permission in public or otherwise.