Snapchat Spectacles Now Available to Purchase Online for $130

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If I see you in public wearing these I'll punch them off of your face personally. Not just because of their horrendous looks, but also because I value my privacy and don't really like people with camera's in them walking about and being able to take pictures everywhere in an instant. Not happening.
Honestly, your first sentence worries me more than these glasses do. Going around punching strangers because you don't like what they're wearing is not the same thing as free speech.

Reactions: GeneralChang

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
If I see you in public wearing these I'll punch them off of your face personally. Not just because of their horrendous looks, but also because I value my privacy and don't really like people with camera's in them walking about and being able to take pictures everywhere in an instant. Not happening.
Cool. Then I'll make sure you're prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. You might even serve jail time. Then I'll sue you in civil court and make you pay, maybe even ruin you financially. And the best part is reed not likely to be a single picture of you on my Snapchat glasses. Meanwhile, your picture will be instantly plastered across the Internet by dozens of witnesses taken on their phones. Mission accomplished?

Reactions: CarlJ

scrumpyjack

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
They look exactly how they should for what they are; a novelty. I think this is more a bit of a goof than something people are going to use like the app. I'm glad they look so ridiculous, if someone's filming me I want to know.

GeneralChang

macrumors 65832
Dec 2, 2013
They look exactly how they should for what they are; a novelty. I think this is more a bit of a goof than something people are going to use like the app. I'm glad they look so ridiculous, if someone's filming me I want to know.
Oh for sure, spy tech these are not.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Never mind that almost everyone who would buy something like this already has their phone out while they're walking around. It's pretty easy to start recording. The primary demographic I see for something like this is self-absorbed vloggers. They can add it to their arsenal of gimbals, GoPros, Sony A7SII, Rode shotgun mic, and DJI Mavic or Phantom Drones.
I wouldn't even classify a GO Pro in this catergory. Even as a niche product, it has a strong following for outdoor enthusiasts, sports/athletes, even law enforcement has contracts with Go Pro to use for body camera's. Yes, they have slowed down. But they have way more of a demographic than Snapchat shades and Other superfluous items.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
The way we're spying on each other is getting ridiculous..... enough to make everyone and their uncle paranoid.

DUIduckSAUCE

Suspended
Sep 12, 2016
You will probably get locked up.

WinstonRumfoord

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2014
Do people in 2017 honestly believe they have privacy in public?
Yes. As a working photographer, I still expect people to maintain their expectation of privacy. I would never photograph someone without their consent, mostly because I could not legally use their likeness in a commercial way.

Also, I am a decent human with scruples.

Reactions: mkeeley and S G

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm ashamed to be a millennial. This is ridiculous.
Plenty of reasons to be ashamed to be in the millennial generation but not this. My generation had Members Only jackets, Parachute Pants, and Pet Rocks (I proudly had none). No badge of honor there. Every generation has stupid clothing and fads. Also I doubt these are going to sell by the boat load. They were a gimmick when sold in pop-up vending machines. Now that they are more easily obtainable my guess is their 15 seconds is up.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Yep, we're the first generation to have goofy-as-hell clothing and odd cultural phenomena.

If anybody needs me, I'll be putting on my bellbottoms, hairspraying my mullet, and heading off to the local building with many computer cabinets and bespectacled children.

Let's just say this isn't the only thing about this generation that is embrassing.
Plenty of reasons to be ashamed to be in the millennial generation but not this. My generation had Members Only jackets, Parachute Pants, and Pet Rocks (I proudly had none). No badge of honor there. Every generation has stupid clothing and fads. Also I doubt these are going to sell by the boat load. They were a gimmick when sold in pop-up vending machines. Now that they are more easily obtainable my guess is their 15 seconds is up.
Oh believe....There are plenty of reasons I am embarrassed by this generation, but this is just another.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Yes. As a working photographer, I still expect people to maintain their expectation of privacy. I would never photograph someone without their consent, mostly because I could not legally use their likeness in a commercial way.

Glad most professional photographers don't work that way, we wouldn't have some of the greatest moments in photographic history then. There's such a thing as asking for consent to use the image after the photo is taken. And it's routinely done by ethical professionals all over the world every day. Most people are flattered, and those who aren't don't sign.

One of my favorite photos was taken by a professional photographer in Carmel, who took a photo of me playing with my dog on the beach. He gave me his email and said he would give me a digital copy, and asked if he could display it in his studio/shop or otherwise include it online, or in book collections. I told him it would be fine as long as he didn't sell it by itself, and he sent me a release which I signed, which had an option for commercial distribution if he wanted to sell which I agreed to. To my knowledge he never exploited it beyond hanging a print in his studio for a period, but had he not done that, I would not have that picture.

Moreover, I take photos all the time with people I don't know in them, be they of friends or family, or just scenic, and I post them on the Internet. I couldn't care less who the other people are. Recently on vacation I was at the beach clearly taking photographs of the beach with my iPhone, and every single person on that beach was in my photos, some more featured than others. Not only were they not the least bit concerned I was doing it, but in a few instances, I actually had people volunteer to pose for me in my shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlJ

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013

That's cute and everything but public life has no expectation of privacy. I photograph people without their consent all the time tbh and considering most people let the government spy on them indiscriminately I don't see the problem.

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
That's cute and everything but public life has no expectation of privacy. I photograph people without their consent all the time tbh and considering most people let the government spy on them indiscriminately I don't see the problem.
The difference is that he has at least some intent to sell his photography. Without consent of people that you feature in your photos as models, you can't sell your photography commercially. You could still possibly make money if they could be sold and used for editorial purposes though.

Reactions: mkeeley

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
I really like them. 2 bad its 2 cheap 2 buy, the price look nothing 2 me and i only use things that females knows r expensive cause thiz is what women want: expensive thingz u know what i mean? The good thing is that i can record gurlz being sexy with me and i can share vids qith my friends cause they wanna watch more bout my private life lol so i gonna buy a few 2 bad they dont made them in yellow cause its a color i luv. Hope they make a gold version i dont care 2 pay 1k usd 4 them since i will look great. Hope i can broadcast live my life a lot of ppl will watch how good my life is but i cant show my biz u know what i mean??

Last edited: