Snapshield Secure release date?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by wesk702, Apr 1, 2012.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Anybody have an idea on the release date for this?
    Didn't see anything on the website.

2. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

I'm wondering as well. I did pre-order one on Amazon UK but it did not mention when it will be released.

3. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

The last I heard was April 15th. I'm also waiitng on this case. I saw the clear shell (regular version, not secure) at Best Buy and love the feel and look but I know once the secure comes out I'll want that one. Just wish it came out earlier.

I bought a $6 back case from ebay (free shipping) that came with a stylus to hold me down until that one comes out.

4. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

Saw on YouTube that the clear secure one was already on sale in Australia.
    Gonna run by Fry's today and check.

5. davereynolds macrumors member

Is this a Belkin product? I had the clear Belkin snapshield for iPad 2 and all four corners cracked without every dropping it or any type of abuse. So I emailed to get it replaced under warranty and the replacement also has cracked corners after 2.5 months!

6. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

Damn, that sucks.

7. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

i heard they revised the case to fix that. i saw the belkin shield at best buy (regular, nto the secure one) and it's a pretty flexible material so doesn't seem like it would break that quick.

8. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

I picked up the secure version a little more than a week ago in Japan, it has been great so far and no damage in spite of a heavy encounter with an airplane tray table frame this morning. The parting lines have been changed from the iPad 2 version, it seems to be more robust.

9. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

I wonder why it's out in Japan and not here. Bah...I wish they'd just release it already. I'm dying to start using my new leather smart cover and belkin case.

10. rwings01 macrumors regular

Can you post pics please when you have a minute or two :D

11. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

Aren't you the guy I emailed with photos three days ago?

12. vjacques macrumors member

just use http://minus.com/ or similar service to upload them and post them here!

13. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

Or send them to me. I will upload them somewhere. I PMed you my email address a few days ago.

14. rwings01 macrumors regular

Doh,

Brain cramp....yes you did :(

Sorry to many PM's to keep track of, lol

15. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

16. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Mine has arrived, perfect fit, and the magnet strip makes using it as a reader easier.

17. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

Where did you order yours from?

18. orlandocano macrumors regular

I placed a pre-order for the Snap Shield Secure from Amazon the week the iPad came out.

I just got an email from Amazon saying that my Snap Shield Secure now has an estimated shipping date: Between April 28th and May 2nd

I may cancel the order because the Snap Shield Secure I bought at target for the iPad2 fits well enough for my taste. It bulges a TINY bit in the back but it is not noticeable...

If I decide to keep the order, ill post a mini-review and pics as soon as i get it...

19. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

On Amazon UK, I have, shipped by 19 May. Here is what Belkin UK replied to me on Facebook : "Great question Frederik, they should be released now."

20. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

I preordered from macmall.com. It just says "status: backordered"

With the reports of the regular snapshield being kind of loose, I am considering cancelling and maybe waiting on the new Speck SmartShell. Anyone use this case for the iPad2? Looks pretty similar to the Belkin.

21. vjacques macrumors member

22. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

Update (copied from my post on another thread)

A quick heads up about the Belkin snap secure- today I discovered that the steel strip creates a pressure hotspot between the case and the back of the iPad.

Found a dark stain layer forming in the contact zone with my frost clear Belkin in spite of having cleaned both mating surfaces before install. Since the stain is dark, and the case isn't, it must be aluminum oxide.

Beware- this could eventually damage the surface finish of the iPad.

I was able to clean off this stain with some effort, but not too pleased with this issue.

Also, the tacky outer surface of the Belkin does get dirty with fingerprints quite fast.

Switched back to the Tunewear Eggshell I bought at the same time as the Belkin. Probably a better choice, time will tell.

23. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Hm. The Snap Shield Secure for iPad 2 doesn't have metal on the inside; the inside of the strip seems to be a thin plastic tape or other similar mounting. What exactly is touching the iPad in the new version?

Worse comes to worse, you can put scotch tape on the inside of the SSS and trim to exactly fit the strip. That should be nonreactive.

24. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

I didn't say there was exposed metal. I said there is a hotspot under the metal strip, where the plastic has been made very thin.

Tape might work, but it's the pressure hotspot that causes the problem in the first place and the presence of a tape layer may exacerbate the issue.

I have no intention of testing this premise. The Tunewear is a better solution for my needs, as I discovered that I dislike holding the device on the microfiber surface when the cover is deployed and locked back- I find it preferable to fold in half and touch the leather surface while holding the device.

YMMV, naturally.

25. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

Has anyone else who has this case had the same issuer as Archer? I'm debating whether I should cancel my order and go with the regular case instead.

Does anyone know of any other iPad 3 cases that with a magnet on the back besides this one?