sneaky genius at Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacPC, Jun 12, 2011.

1. MacPC, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

MacPC macrumors regular

I had a funny experience at the Apple Store yesterday. I took my digital AV adapter in for an exchange, the genius asked for my iphone claiming he needed to do a test to make sure the problem is not my iphone, so I handed him my iphone4. Very swiftly, he flipped to Soptlight page and very quickly he typed in the c and y characters, sure enough cydia didn't show up because the night before I took it in, I completely restored my iphone back to the non-jailbroken fw just to avoid something like this. How sneaky of Apple huh! Haha, I guess I beat the genius!!:p Next time before I bring it in, I am going to make myself a bogus app called Cythia with the cydia icon just to see what reaction I will get.

2. Cole JM macrumors regular

beating the Genius would be blocking Cydia from coming up in the search.

3. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Them checking for jailbreaking probably saves them a lot of money in warranty costs. :D

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I'm not sure I believe this story, but it was a cool one!

5. csjo00 macrumors regular

How about disabling all the different things in Spotlight? I do that on my 3GS just because it seems to speed it up a little bit.

6. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

Instead of going through all the trouble, you could have said my phone is fine, but if you don't think there is anything wrong with the AV adapter, there are quite a few phones at your disposal here in the store to test the adapter.

Or do it the hard way.

7. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I have everything blocked in spotlight. I'm not even jailbroken anymore, I just hate spotlight.

There was a time I used it... and then I realized I was using it because I had 100 crappy apps on my phone I never used. So I streamlined.

Anyway even if you did have cydia I don't see how they could use that as an excuse to not replace a bum adapter. What if you bought a bad adapter and were not an iPhone owner? What if it was a gift? etc, etc

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I pretty sure the Apple geniuses seen enough iPhones to already tell when one has been just restored. I think you were just paranoid. ;)

9. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I've always wondered what they think when they see a completely stock phone come if for a repair or replacement. I'm sure they know that it was just restored to remove a jailbreak.

10. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Except for one thing: The AV adapter has nothing to do with your phone. You could have just said 'no'. And what if he did find Cydia? You're there for a warranty issue on the adapter, not the phone.

11. geiman macrumors newbie

x2; jailbroken or not I wouldn't have given him my phone.

12. tlbwriter macrumors regular

Eh, I'm sure a lot of people do a complete restore in an attempt to fix whatever the problem was. But if I'd been in the OP's shoes I would have said "I don't have my phone on me, but I tried it on other phones and it didn't work so I know the phone isn't the problem."

13. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Maybe that's what they are asked to do.. who knows?

14. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Haha my Apple store is pretty laid back. I'm pretty sure there is at least a few guys running around with Jailbroken iPhones :D;):apple::apple: They've helped me out really well everytime I've needed it.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

When I got my phone replaced at the Apple store(5 ave & 58st in NYC), the guy didn't care to look through my phone or test out the problem. He just made sure it turned on and gave the hardware a glance. About three minutes later new iPhone. Best thing is that it's not even a refurb(according to the serial), and I did see him take it out the box.

My situation was the mic did not work unless it was on speaker. As soon as I said that he already had his device out for me to sign. I guess they had a lot of returns for that, but I haven't seen much about it online.

16. Scuby macrumors regular

Doesn't apply in this case, but if I had a problem with my phone and was expecting to have to leave it / have it replaced, i'd always do a complete wipe - don't want something with all my personal data, contacts, websites which auto-login, etc lying around the back of a shop.

David

17. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Likewise and if I'm leaving my laptop, I create a new admin account and wipe my own (I keep time machine backups), since I keep financial budgets on there that I don't want a Genius rifling through.

18. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

19. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It doesn't matter that it's the adapter. If the phone is JB, Apple won't honor warranty service.

20. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

maybe but on the flip side wouldnt a normal person do a "restore" to see if that fixes the "problem" before bringing it in?

21. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I hope everyone realizez they want you to restore your phone fresh before you go into see the apple dumbies. That way they know its not ewasily fixable with a restore, the first question they ask you is, have you tried a restore.

22. ikaveh macrumors regular

its not like if they see cydia on your iphone, they ban its serial number for ever. they simply ask you to restore it to a non-jailbroken FW, and come back, at least this is what I have experienced. so its not a big deal.

23. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

24. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

haha slippery pete's cousin

25. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Off topic, but are these guys actually genii. Has anybody ever asked for proof of mensa membership? If they are not actual genii, i'd reckon Apple is breaking our local trade practice laws.