Sneaky...NFC, hidden NFC, Stores you didn't know take NFC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 25, 2014.

1. dontwalkhand, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

These are how the terminals are at my local Basha's, a local grocery store. NFC is enabled, but no normal person can tell. I held my iPhone up to this screen, and the terminal beeped, transaction processed and everything went through fine.

The clerk manning the self checkout said that most people know the circles on the screen mean you can tap your phone. That is definitely not the "international NFC sign" that we are used to.

Any other stores where they're sneaky like this? Maybe it was just lazy programming not wanting to say "Swipe or Tap"

Also, this is how it is at most places I go to with NFC, the only place I've actially seen that sideways wifi logo is at Walgreens.

This kind of thing worries me because most people do not know the store takes NFC, looking at this terminal, to the untrained eye, they won't even try it, to them it's just circles on a screen! Things like this is why NFC won't gain traction. The store takes it but most won't even know thanks to this lazy programming. How hard would it have been to put the logo there or maybe even "Slide or Tap"

Apple Pay works fine at this store and great actually. I talked to the manager about this, and they said this is how their POS System provider programmed the machines and that it would cost too much money to "reword the screen" to exclaim they can tap as well. So you're telling me you have money to install all these nice new NFC terminals, that take both EMV Chip & PIN, and NFC, and they are all enabled, which I am happy about, unlike CVS, but it costs a lot more to re-word the wording on the screen? At least put a sticker on the terminal that shows you take NFC then!

I am happy they take NFC payments unlike CVS, but honestly, how many of you here would know that the circles on the screen means that they take NFC?

Attached Files:

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I sure as hell wouldn't have know those circles were for NFC. I would have been like *swipe card* "Damn they need NFC here"

3. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

I wonder if this is how BJ's works. I recall seeing them on the list, but no updated terminals. Maybe they are in fact hidden like such. I shall investigate on my next trip.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

For what it's worth, they're common over here.

6. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

That store employee was full of it. Those circles do not mean NFC. He was lying.

On another note if you see a POS terminal with a color LCD there is a huge chance it supports NFC. Just a general observation.

7. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I see terminals like that everywhere but never tried to use my phone to pay. Did you do anything to prompt that screen or just hold your phone up to the terminal after they totaled everything?

8. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Just held the phone up to the terminal, and held down Touch ID like every other NFC place. Sometimes the circles won't show up until you hold the phone up to the reader. Sad I know. They should really put the NFC logo on the terminal.

9. wxman2003 Suspended

Definitely a chip and pin reader, as you can slide your card into the bottom of the terminal, instead of swiping on the side. Quite often those are NFC capable.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What do those circles mean then?

I googled Verifone POS terminals. Apparently Verifone has included NFC in all new POS hardware since 2011.

11. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

They DO mean NFC, because when I presented the iPhone, all of the circles turned green, then the terminal said "processing"

12. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

They mean nothing really. I'm sure some graphic designer out there who programmed that store's POS displays wanted to show the steps you are taking to complete your transaction. That's what you get for using corporate graphic designers and unhelpful store employees.

13. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Then explain why the circles all turn green when I tap the iPhone? It is a lame graphic designer who decided this was effective enough to mean NFC, but it isn't as this already is generating a bunch of speculation, when I know first hand it means NFC. It also all turns green when I present my PayPass card.

14. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Most pay terminals, I always wave my card at them before attempting to insert the chip.

15. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yes but now you can wave your iPhone. :apple: I just wish they made NFC acceptance more clearer here in the US. There are plenty of places that take it, but because of this crappy labeling, most people don't even know you can use it.

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

BJs doesn't necessary have NFC now they just will by the end of the year :).

17. RCRod83 macrumors regular

RCRod83

The picture in OP is the same card reader that my BJ uses and I put my phone next to it and I was able to pay with Apple Pay. My here was no indication that it was NFC compatible.

18. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

It's funny that now that Apple has their own NFC/Mobile Payments initiative with Apple Pay people are acting like they now have to use this as a form of payment "or else..." Is it really that big of a deal to pay with your phone vs. conventional methods? I've had Google Wallet for a few years now, but haven't cared to activate and use it yet.

19. iZollo macrumors regular

iZollo

I just used Apple Pay at BJ's 2 days ago. I did not find a NFC logo I just tried it and to my surprised it worked

20. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

ApplePay uses tokenization so the merchant does not store or transmit any personal info(cc #, name, address...)

21. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Interesting...
    Why the hell do these stores not put out the NFC logo?

22. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Sounds like a job for 'the sticker', $0.01 each if printed in bulk.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is bad enough waiting is some checkout lines. This can only make it worst having someone whip out their iPhone and trying to get an nonexistent NFC terminal to react to their iPhone. I was a the grocery store just yesterday when a person tried to use the iPhone for Apple Pay and it would not work, worst is they left their wallet in the CAR! The lady at the register says that they have NFC but it does not work with Apple Pay.

24. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I'm thinking it's because of lazy programming from the old POS software or they just expect NFC to be so normal in the future that they don't need to label it. Way to confuse our European visitors too.

----------

Yeah I don't get how the store expects most people to just "know" a place accepts NFC with no signage or anything. This isn't the way to get people to realize you have NFC, and part of the reason why people think there's not many places you can use it, when in fact there are more than most might think!

----------

Apple should really be saying try tapping your phone on random terminals than to look for a specific almost non existent symbol.

25. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502