Sniped an Ipad Pro 9.7 Cellular, Is there anything productive I could do with it on my commute?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bytecurious, Feb 2, 2017.

1. bytecurious macrumors member

bytecurious

Hi all,

I just bought an iPad Pro 9.7 because I knew I could sell it for around 100 € profit, after ebay tax.

Now I'm thinking I might as well use it, as I spend 60 minutes in the train every day and I don't have a particularly mobile laptop.

What I'm wondering, apart from watching course materials on Udemy or reading pdf files, is there anything productive a coder in training could do with an Ipad?

Sorry if that sounds naive, I'm just wondering if there's an actual added value in having this, or if I'll get frustrated and go: "Man, I wish I had a laptop instead" every time I use this.

For instance, I once saw a really cool app called Duet Display, which lets you use the Ipad as a second monitor, which I thought was a productive use I wouldn't have thought of.

Rant: What's up with accessory prices for this? 50 Euro for a smart cover? Another 50 for a back cover? 100 for a pen? Are they having a laugh?

2. RedOrchestra Suspended

When you're in Apple's world ... it's either ... Go Big, or Go Home.

3. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

If you use Microsoft office often, Microsoft office for iPad is a powerful toolset.

For coding, I guess you could find some apps for coding python, JavaScript etc. .

If your train route has decent mobile signal coverage, you could set up your home computer as a Remote Desktop server. Then you could use this iPad as a Remote Desktop client, and continue coding on the go.

iPad could also be used to learn Swift.

And much more.

4. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

Pythonista is great if you're learning Python. Coda 2 from panic apps is great for writing code - it does syntax highlighting and auto complete which is very nice. Depending on your level if you're still learning how general programming functions work then Workflow is great to play with - and they have support for APIs which is great too.

5. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

There's plenty of time to be productive, play Mario Run on the commute :p

Seriously though, depends on what sort of coding you plan to do. If you're just getting into iOS development for instance, take advantage of the cellular connection to read through Apple's documentation for starters. There's so much of it, it takes a really long time to get through. So the more often you can read it the better.

I also second the Remote Desktop suggestion, its handy to fire up Jump Desktop (or your preference) and do a bit of coding in Xcode on the go.

Oh and the Apple Pencil might seem expensive but as someone who's used dozens of styli over the years, including some costing as much, or more than the Apple Pencil. I have to say the Apple one is worth every penny compared to the competition. It's an absolute delight to use, incredibly responsive and accurate and just gets the job done and done well. If you have a valid use for it of course. If it's not something you'll use a lot there's no point spending money on it.

6. PetuniaCat macrumors newbie

PetuniaCat

--- Post Merged, Feb 3, 2017 ---
    Download Inkpad and learn how to do vector drawing. If you already know how, practice. 1. It's incredibly easy. You can make stuff that looks professional. Including using the built-in geometric shapes. And in vector drawing you can move the line and change the colour of the line after you've drawn it. 2. Knowing how these techniques work that are used to make the graphics in the stuff you're going to make with code it's just good in itself. It's also a lot of fun. Inkpad was made by Stephen Strang for iPad.

Oh, and learning how to do something brand spanking new on the computer will give you a feel for what people will experience when they use the UI that you make.

7. bytecurious thread starter macrumors member

bytecurious

Honestly, I didn't even know about office on the Ipad.

Has anyone used the OneNote app?

I also saw that WolframAlpha is on the app store, wasn't aware of that. Cool beans.

8. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I do use OneNote, but on Windows 10 with touch screen. Honestly speaking it is awesome. I believe with apple stylus support, onenote for iOS could be equally awesome in regular use.

9. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

OneNote is fantastic with an iPad. There are other good note taking apps too, like goodnotes

10. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Cellular support is something I'd always get with an iPad. Sometimes you just don't know when or what you'll do with it but every time I've needed cell support I have been so happy to have it. You'll figure it out. I'd never buy an iPad again without cell support. The options are cheap these days too and you don't need contracts or any of that crap.

12. JackieInCo macrumors 603

Agreed. I have an iPad Mini 2 and an iPad Pro both with cellular. I don't really take an iPad with me anymore these days with the bigger phones, but it's nice to know I can get service at home whenever they may be a power outage which happens a few times a year here.

13. bytecurious thread starter macrumors member

bytecurious

Yeah, cellular support is pretty neat, I pay 10 € a month, no contract, for 15 GB, and ever since then I don't need a phone contract any more. My prepaid comes down to maybe 10 € a year.

14. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

Another agreement here. Especially with the rise of "200mb free data" sims and affordable pay as you go data it's worth investing for the option of having data - plus you get a higher price when you sell it later which helps recoup some cost.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Without cellular I could not work in the field so it is always a must for me.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If my work laptop didn't have LTE, I would consider having my iPad for on duty and LTE. Definitely see the benefit.

17. 960design macrumors 68030

Coding would be better / easier on a $159 Asus or $179 Dell Inspiron 3000, but I've taught basic coding classes ( HTML5 / JS / CSS ) on iPads using JSBin.

18. bytecurious thread starter macrumors member

bytecurious

Yeah I'm not going to code on it, that would be ridiculous. I do have a Dell Chromebook 13 with a 256 GB SSD running Ubuntu, but obviously that doesn't ahve a SIM card slot.

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

No cellular means you will not be able to use GPS :)

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don't think your quote specifically applies here. More so, to this thread. Apple has options and isn't restricted to one thing if someone wants to purchase various tiers or models.

21. bytecurious thread starter macrumors member

bytecurious

Not sure where this cellular vs. non-cellular came from now. :)

22. JackieInCo macrumors 603

The thread title mentions cellular.

23. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

You can with offline maps...

24. James.K.Polk, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

James.K.Polk

I'd be hesitant to use an iPad Pro on my commute. Then again, I'm in Chicago.

25. bytecurious thread starter macrumors member

bytecurious

I live in Germany, up until a year ago I would have laughed at the idea that taking out a laptop / tablet on the train might be somehow risky.

But even today, during the 9-5 commute times, it's extremely unlikely to be robbed.