Snow day!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Jan 14, 2008.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, I'm in a great mood today! We got an unexpected snow day! Don't ask me why, there's like half an inch of snow on the ground, but really, who's complaining? So I'm gonna' hunker down and play some video games. So, what is your favorite thing to do on a snow day?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Put the Jeep in 4-wheel drive and go have some fun.

It so rarely snows out here (Virginia Beach) that even a heavy dusting will shut this place down. :eek:

(Since we didn't even get a good tropical storm this summer like we usually do, I hope Mother Nature has a blizzard in store for us) :D

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You dont school because there is half an inch of snow? :eek: Where do you live? I wish I dont have to go to "work" if there is half an inch of snow on the ground, that's like everyday here. :D

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This coming from a girl born and raised in So Cal..snow days exisit?!!! It seems like such a novelty.

But if it snowed and I was off work or school I'd spend it in bed. :) I like beds and I'm a fan of spending extra time in them.

Enjoy your snow day. I'm sure if it is eventful you'll let us know. ;)

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

It didn't happen without pictures. Grab your camera and let us enjoy some snowwy landscapes.

6. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Here ya go!

Attached Files:

7. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

I'd sleep.

But it never snows here -- once in high school, we had a "snow day" when it rained because they thought it was going to snow.

8. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

haha, I was going to make the same thread, I sleep in and hang out with friends usually, but today I have a ****load of homework since the end of the semester is on friday, don't you just love midterms?:mad:

9. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Not fair! I miss school and the random reasons for not going. Snow days, bah!

My favorite thing to do when I didn't have to go was sleep! Ah, how I miss those days.

10. neoserver macrumors 6502

Nice! I'd definitely head out with some friends and go tobogganing.. (yes, at 18 I still think tobogganing is fun...) Where I'm from, we've had 5+ cm (~2in) of snow in the city... school has never been closed... I think nothing short of a nuclear attack would close the schools in urban Canada....

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Halfway into January and theres not a drop of snow here. We had a little bit early on but it had more or less melted by 11am.

England's too warm :eek: don't know if I could move anywhere colder though.

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Bah, I don't get snow days. There could be a billion inches of snow and Chicago wouldn't shut down! Especially not near a hospital...

Enjoy yours though! :)

13. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Hey, if any of you are bored I have a live ghall snow day feed going here. I'm doing a video game marathon (I'm currently playing Zelda: OoT) so come and check it out if you want.

14. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

It is pretty, but it is like shoveling wet concrete...

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know how that its. my school only ever shut down once, and that was because the storm was classed as a 'blizzard' and even the city couldn't handle it. but no matter what else, we were open.

16. gavd macrumors 6502a

Or no doubt, even if it's not eventful! :p

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Congrats. We have had several inches on the ground here since the new year, and we are supposed to get more on Wednesday morning.....my kids might have a snow day!

Enjoy yours ghall!

18. shecky Guest

shecky

i just shoveled snow (i live near ghall) and it was not bad enough to close schools, etc.- maybe 3 or 4 inches (tho i was pleased that i did not have to teach this AM!)

i love panicky new englanders. snow!!! OMG!!!111!!! go buy bread and milk! fill the bathtub with water! where are the candles!?!?!?

19. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I have a snow day today too (I live in Boston). We only get snow days if it snows like a foot, but it did today!

Where do you live that only looks like an inch!?

20. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Pictures of my Boston snow day.

Attached Files:

21. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I have a snow day too. We got at least 1" of snow here in CT. I live on a private road so the town doesn't plow it (we pay them to, but they always just do it last). My mom said she one of my neighbors was stuck in an LX470 because the snow was so deep at the end of the road.

22. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In most of Western Washington and Western Oregon any snow causes either a one or two hour delay to the start of classes. More than one inch will almost always close schools and some businesses. WSDOT and ODOT usually use only sand on the roads to give some traction, however it doesn't melt the snow, and because of the mountains, it is rare for the sun to shine after a "snow event" so that doesn't melt the snow either. One inch of snow can often stay around for a week or more before melting. WSDOT has been experimenting with using salt water, but it is not wide spread, they both use diluted de-icer in some major areas, but it to is not wide spread.
    Portland is the worst when they have snow, as after 3 inches they usually ban travel in the city without chains, the light rail often shuts down, and busses run 24/7 in a vain attempt to keep the roads clear.

In Michigan on the other hand, I was around when it snowed 9" overnight. Nothing closed and nothing was delayed. They use salt which melts the snow and ice, plus the sun comes out and warms the pavement.

TEG

23. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Snow or Frost, Being Freelance, i get out of bed when i feel like it, depending on the project and weather i get a good kip, if i miss a deadline ? it's no biggie, Life's too short to worry.

24. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

The worst thing about college is that, there are no snow days. On the east side of Washington, it actually snows (unlike the 1-2 inches the westside has). We easily get over 6" of snow, and school still goes on.

25. Frisco macrumors 68020

They were predicting 7 inches overnight here in Northern NJ. Woke up to nothing but rain. The forecasters really got this one wrong.