Snow Leopard and MacBook Pro's Trackpad Input

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, Aug 31, 2009.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the trackpad's responsiveness since installing Snow Leopard? I did an update, then decided to do a clean install as I had a few hacks on my Leopard install.

Things like scrolling feel different - I have my trackpad set up exactly the same as Leopard. It just feels almost sluggish.

Anyone else noticing this?

2. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502

aaronhead14

Snow Leopard and MacBook Pro's Trackpad Input

In the Trackpad Preferences you can change options like scrolling speed, whether or not you want secondary click, and other things like that. maybe your scrolling speed is just set differently than it was before. check that out and see what it does for ya.

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

As I said, I have everything setup exactly the same as before.

4. miralize macrumors member

I'm having issues too. The single button needs more pressure to click (not tap). How do I get Apple to address the problem?

5. BigJohno macrumors 65816

Yeah I have the same issue. I did spill stuff on my trackpad before and it was working fine then and now I have to really hit it hard to work. hmm

6. ejosepha macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard and Macbook Pro's Trackpad Imput

I had to reinstall Leopard because i could not navigate comfortably without the single touch to click and other click to drag, etc. I was forced to physically push the touchpad click too often, which I find unpleasant. Perhaps when this buggy system is repaired I'll upgrade again.

7. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

When I want to tap to click, I sometimes have to click twice, I hope this is a software issue and not hardware......

8. waffle911 macrumors regular

Please Help

I'm having a bigger issue in the same vein as this.

None of the three- or four-finger gestures are working after updating to SL. Two-finger scrolling works fine. Two-finger pinch-to-zoom and twist-to-rotate do not work. Haven't tried re-installing SL, but I'm hesitant to go through that without knowing if it would actually fix the problem.

I never used tap-to-click (I always have it turned off), so I can't comment on those features. I always found that frustrating and I hate how you can't turn it off on Windows-based laptops. But I am not having the issue of increased resistance to pressing the trackpad-button. But then, I never spilled anything on it, so...

9. audiodan macrumors newbie

10. Odid macrumors regular

two finger scrolling sometimes doesn't work for me. I have to really press down in order for it to register.

11. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

I just posted another thread about this (sorry, I know, I know... search). I'm so GLAD you guys are having this issue too. As my other thread stated:

"It seems now like my trackpad gets "stuck". It will just randomly not two-finger scroll until I "click" on something, then it works again. Sometimes the dock won't pop up when I point down to it until I click something". Annoying but glad to know it's not my computer.

Safari keeps crashing too. I might downgrade back to Leopard until an update comes out. :(

12. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

13. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

i have same problem. :(

difficult to click is hardware problem, not snow leopard.

14. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

I personally am just talking about gestures. In LEOPARD I could navigate around without physically clicking the button ever. Now it's just... not as good.

15. Scallywag macrumors regular

Yes, I'm having the same trackpad issues after upgrading on my 2008 unibody Macbook Pro, and it's driving me CRAZY...

How on earth did this make it past Apple's testers/developers??? On 10.5.8 the trackpad felt perfect...now its just sluggish and the acceleration is a mess. There used to be a smoth transition between slow and faster scrolling... now there's a jarring break in the acceleration, and it's really jumpy. Tapping is spotty... feels like I[m dragging the pointer around as opposed to it following my finger. this really sucks.

This issue is ruining my experience with the Macbook Pro... it's like the wheel alignment on my car is way off... just as annoying and it makes the computer feel like crap.

Apple, please please fix this!! I'm going back to Leopard until they do

16. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

You nailed it on the head. Can I re-install leopard and restore my snow leopard time machine backup?

17. boppin macrumors regular

Hi!

I have noticed this, too. I am really sure that this occurs since I installed Snow Leopard clean.

I hope Apple will fix that.

18. Uniquer macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm having the same trackpad issues after upgrading on my 2008 unibody Macbook Pro.

At first I thought it was just my imagination, then I thought it was just my computer so, I started googling it.

I did not have these issues in Leopard. I can't believe something like this made it past Apple developers.

another thread of the same thing...(http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2134425&tstart=0)

and another
    (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10155093)

I hope an update gets sent out soon!

19. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

So there's an update today (10.6.1) anyone notice a difference?

20. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Having the same problems reported.

Done the update, but I still think he trackpad is sluggish...:(

21. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

mmhmm me too.

22. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah - 10.6.1 didn't fix this. I hope we'll see a MacBook Pro specific update to fix this. Really irritating.

Especially the less sensitive tap - I always end up having to tap twice half the time.

23. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Try this:

Turn off ALL trackpad options in system pref>trackpad. Reboot. Re-enable however you like it.

(KNOCK ON WOOD) it seems better to me. Might be a placebo but I'm not seeing the problems I did like tap to click and two finger scroll randomly stop working.

24. boppin macrumors regular

I made a SMC Reset and now I am testing the system. Hope that helps.

25. waffle911 macrumors regular

"SMC reset"? How do you do that? Or is it just what MikesGravity suggested? It does seem to make some sort of sense that SMC would be at the center of all this. (I'm already somewhat familiar with what SMC is/does, I just don't know everything it can and cannot do.)

EDIT:
    ^^^^^^THIS WORKED!!!!!!! Everything works as it should now! Thank you!