Snow Leopard Battery Life

Discussion in 'macOS' started by finder39, Aug 28, 2009.

1. finder39 macrumors member

Does anyone notice a decrease in battery life from Leopard to Snow Leopard? I have the new 13" MBPu with the 2.53 GHz processor. I used to get between 5 and 7 hours. Now it seems to tell me i'm only going to get between 2 and a half and 4. Will this fix itself or whats up with it?

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

My first gen uMBP is showing 2:24 left, with 95% battery left.

However, that is with my screen one notch from full brightness, fairly loud music, Adium/iTunes/Skype/FireFox open, and charging my iPhone.

3. finder39 thread starter macrumors member

its so upsetting. i waited for the unibody w/o a removable battery for the battery and then this goes down. i hope it iis fixed in an update

4. danb77 macrumors 6502

Give it a few days to calibrate itself - you may well find that it returns to normal...

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Pretty dramatic decrease, probably not a correct value..

6. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

make sure you bring your screen brightness down and get your settings to where they were before.

7. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

my macbook looks like it lost several hours as well. Same settings as before. Don't know whats up

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Argh. Tiger to Leopard reduced my battery life, and I was hoping that SL would improve it again. This doesn't bode well :(

9. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

which mac do you use?

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

my battery time seems to have gone up around 20-30 mins with snow leopard...half brightness wifi safari, itunes, quicktime, and xcode running late 2008 uMBP

11. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

SL Ate close to 30 minutes of battery life - brand new battery, used to get 3:00 hrs on full charge and now it only gives 2:36 hrs. And it is not a reporting problem - it does only last for around 2 and half hours.

:mad:

12. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

For those talking about less battery life... I think it will just take a few cycles before it gets to where it needs to be. I noticed my battery said it was charged and the green light was lit on the power adapter. However, If you switch to percentage it only says 95% full.

When I unplug the cable and bring my brightness down I am getting about the same as what I was getting before, however I am still bothered a bit by the 95% and it saying charged. Anyone experiencing similar stats?

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

15" 2.33 MBP (Oct 2006).

14. fr0 macrumors member

Once the battery is charged it will not start a re-charge until you go below 95%. Just let it run down a bit and then plug it in again. It will go to 100%.

15. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Thanks I never noticed that before...

16. CrazedVW macrumors member

CrazedVW

I'm also seeing a big decrease in my 13" MBP since installing SL tonight. At half brightness with Mail, Safari, Adium, and Firefox open I've seen my battery estimate drop from 4-5 hours to 2. Also hearing my fan kick in pretty much continuously which it never did before.

17. re99 macrumors newbie

confirming battery loss

i just upgraded to snow leopard on a macbook pro4,1

before the upgrade i had 3-4 hours of battery life. after the upgrade i get 40 min to one hour.

i have reset the pram and other settings. and upgraded to the latest verion of snow leopard

is this just a scam to force people to buy new batteries ???

18. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

check to see if bluetooth somehow got turned on... I bought a new magic mouse and when I went to enable BT, to my surprise, it was already on. I'm "certain" I turned it off when I first configured Leopard. Just a guess though

19. tivoboy macrumors 68030

that sounds rather excessive, I wouldn't peg it to SL, see if there is something else that maybe wasn't upgraded possibly?

20. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Mine decreased as well. MBP 5,1 unibody 2.53. Went from over 5 hours to less than 3. This is with wifi/bt off, screen dimmed as far as it can go before the screen turns off, and after a fresh restart. :(

21. JarJarBinks macrumors newbie

Reduced battery life snow leopard

In my case, seriously degraded battery life (1 h 30 min with full battery), permanently running fan and increased CPU temperature (78 C) was caused by an old 32 bit version of antivirus software (Sophos) that was constantly running in the background.
    Upgrading to the latest 64 bit Sophos version completely eliminated the problem. Fans are off, CPU temp dropped immediately to 57 C and battery life is back at 4 h 30 min (this is still an older Macbook Pro 13" with removable battery).

Check what software is running in the background.

22. bigmur72 macrumors newbie

Battery Life

So, just upgraded to 10.6.5 with my 15 inch MBP. I'm seeing lots of battery problems.

1. Low Batter Shuts off Computer: When my batter gets to around 20 minutes remaining, the computer dies. Not goes to sleep, shuts off completely. This didn't happen before.

2. My Battery Health has been as low as 32% and now it's at 85%. This isn't right.

3. Batter life is REALLY bad.

Is this something to just accept, or will they fix this?

23. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Try calibrating your battery, that should help with the battery meter being more accurate. Instructions can be found through a Google Search or an Apple's website, but the gist of it is to leave your computer fully charged for at least 2 hours (connected to a power source), let the battery drain fully until it turns off, leave it in that state for at least 5 hours, and then let it fully charge back up and remain connected to a power source for about 2 hours after it has been fully charged.

Also, download CoconutBattery to get stats on your battery; if you're seeing that dramatic of a drop in health and you're below 300 cycles on your battery, Apple should replace it for you for free.

24. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Wow I'm glad I don't have any of these problems...that's so weird how upgrading from leopard to snow leopard is giving everyone these problems...I hope when they upgrade snow leopard it doesn't do the same thing. I'm perfectly content with the 6:30 hours of battery I currently get with my 2.26 MB I bought in November ;)

25. makinao macrumors regular

10.6.5? Is it out already?