Snow Leopard CD doesn't run

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sebkom, Dec 26, 2010.

1. sebkom macrumors newbie

I have a MB Pro 15'' that's almost 4 years old (=it's the previous model).

I bought a Snow Leopard CD to upgrade from 10.5.8 a few days ago. I tried it on Thursday and the driver wouldn't accept it, it would try a bit to run but then it would get spitted out. I assumed it is because of the scratches the CD had. So I bought another one. And I am having the exact same problem: Although the CD is in perfect conditions, it just won't run. This time the driver tries a bit harder (I can tell by the sounds) but in the end it just won't get accepted.

Any ideas about what is going wrong?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

3. sebkom thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, with no problem at all!

It's really strange, I just can't imagine what's wrong. Could it be the model of my MB Pro?

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Nope. It should at least read it. You're inserting it while you're booted into OSX right?

5. sebkom thread starter macrumors newbie

Sigh...?

I am inserting it...now? After the OS has been booted, that is.

Do I have to insert it while it IS booting? Do I press any buttons too then?

6. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Usually you can do both. If it is booted, there is an app inside the DVD that you can click to install. It will reboot into install mode. You can also insert the DVD immediately after turning the computer on, and press "C" to boot from the DVD.

7. sebkom thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That doesn't work either, it takes a while longer than usually to boot, and from the sound of te driver it does so because it is teyin ro run the DVD, but in te end it refuses to boot from the DVD..

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have my suspicions. First off, Snow Leopard ships on DVD, not CD. Is this "Snow Leopard CD" a black retail Snow Leopard DVD, a gray System Restore disc for some other computer, or some other disc from some other source?

FWIW, if your disc is not a black retail Snow Leopard DVD, then it is virtually guaranteed not to work.

9. sebkom thread starter macrumors newbie

As I wrote on the first post on this topic, I have tried with two cds/dvds: I bought the first one (family pack) from an Apple Store and the second one from a Dixons, in the airport. The box: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Mr2sqLev3...AHc/_qqRBkdqDvY/s400/Mac+OSX+Snow+Leopard.jpg And the dvd: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2603/3872097851_3e188cffb5_z.jpg

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You mentioned it read other CDs ok, but have you tried other DVDs? The fact it won't read the disc while booted makes me suspicious of your optical drive. Even if, for some reason, you can't boot off the install DVD, it still should be readable from the Finder.

11. sebkom thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, haven't tried other DVDs. I will do and will update this in a few hours when I get home.

12. sebkom thread starter macrumors newbie

Just found my Leopard DVD and gave it a try: Same behavior. Tries to run it but it doesn't and just ejects it in the end.

I guess I need an external drive then, right? Damn...

13. InOut macrumors newbie

Hello and best new Year 2011.

I have the same experience on a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2. 2 partitions, Tiger 10.4.11 and 10.5.6 SnowLeopard

All versions of OS X are ejected from the DVD. Can not boot from the internal drive, but only from an external FireWire drive.

No error messages and the player accepts other CD-DVD.

Can not say how long this situation has occurred, no major install, apart Logic 9, since its acquisition (2 years).

Has anyone how to rectify this problem? Thanking in advance.

Best Regards.