Snow leopard, clean install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mjsanders5uk, Dec 24, 2009.

1. mjsanders5uk macrumors regular

Hi there,

I've staved off installing Snow Leopard but a ready to jump in now.

Big question: Does it need a clean install or is the upgrade from the CD OK?

Many thanks

Michael

2. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

I've done both and didn't have any issues with either. That was with 10.6.0 as well. Make sure you have a backup, and do whichever you think would work out best.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

In the majority of cases, upgrade is just fine. I've always done it that way. If you find a conflict you can't resolve manually, you can always go back and do an archive & install.

Always make sure to have a current backup before upgrading. At a minimum, a Time Machine backup. I have both TM and a bootable image backup. After I've done the image backup, I'm ready to do the upgrade.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...for goodness sakes...has this not been asked/answered enough times in the past 3/4 months...please - search the forums before asking what's been done countless times already.

And just so I am not a total 100% Scrooge - as has been said, in the vast majority of cases a simple upgrade is perfectly fine and that has certainly been the case with the 10.6 upgrades I have done here at Duff HQ...oh yeah!

6. bgardner15 macrumors newbie

7. akadmon macrumors 68010

No. And that's the main problem with an upgrade install. You keep all the garbage you've accumulated since the last clean install of OS X. Doing this is like getting rid of the old furniture and setting up the new ones without bothering to paint the walls and sweep the floors. Just make a backup and go for it. You have nothing to lose except mold and dust.