Snow Leopard Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jhartig, Mar 15, 2009.

1. jhartig macrumors newbie

So, I'm planning on buying a new 15" Macbook Pro through this deal offered by my company. The deal is really sweet; I get the Macbook Pro with a 3 year Applecare warranty for $1800. Problem is, I wanted to have Snow leopard pre-installed on the computer. However, the deal expires at the end of the month. Do you think Apple will give me some kind of reduced rate for Sow Leopard since I recently bought a Mac?

2. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

Take the Deal

I think you should take the deal get the MacBook pro. Then when Snow Leopard comes out just buy it separate, it will probably be anywhere from $150.00- $200.00 (can I get confirmation from anyone on that). :apple:

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It will be $129, just like every other release of OS X.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

As others have said, you won't get a deal. And 3 months isn't "recent" in terms of purchase history. If it was within 14 days of release, maybe they'd offer some up-to-date program for it (and that's just maybe), but being 3 months out, no chance you'll get a discount on it. Maybe you can get a discount through your company when it's released though? The EPP store has cheaper Leopard than retail price.

5. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

What makes you think that? There is absolutely no guarantee of that. Just because that happened in the past doesn't mean it will happen in the future. If apple want to make any money from upgrades, with a product that doesn't offer any visible benefits or will benefit the casual user in any other way they are unlikely to sell it for $129.

And before you go off on one like you do at every one else in who doesn't agree with you in any other thread I said VISIBLE benefits. I think a lot of people will boycott this update.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple likes to be consistent.

Fine, then. Don't buy it. I'll get it and have a visibly faster computer. If all that you care about is GUI enhancements, then don't get it. I don't really care.

7. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

If they are consistent then why have they just doubled the price of the shuffle? for example?

I did not say it wouldn't benefit everyone, just a large number of people who don't have a dedicated graphics card for example as most older macs don't. Not everyone has upgraded to the new "snow leopard friendly" macs and probably won't in a hurry. Macs last a long time and it won't make much difference to the casual user. It may well visibly improve your system but that depends on what it is.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The $2GB shuffle was $79. They doubled the capacity for the same price.

9. kolax macrumors G3

New design, new technology with VoiceOver plus double capacity. Determining if that is worth more money is up to you, but this is Apple.

Snow Leopard won't cost more than $129.

10. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

The price just doubled in the UK! I'm just pointing out that this isn't consitent.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, did it?! :eek:

Jeez, that sucks for you guys.

How consistent do you expect currencies to be, anyway. :p:eek:

12. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

I don't see Apple charging more than $129 for Snow Leopard. With the lack of noticible GUI enhancements, it's already going to be a tough sell for them.

13. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

Yeh it did, and I understand currencies are unstable.

Sorry if I sounded like I was having a go at you. I really didn't mean it to. I've had a very stressful day and reading back my posts I sound like a right dick. My sincere apologies.

I think Snow Leopard will bring great improvements to some and not to others. I also think it will be priced slightly lower than before but I'm happy to stand corrected on release day (Any ideas? lol -WWDC right?).

Once again sorry for having a rant.

Apologies.

CMelton

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe a lot of people are concerned about Snow Leopard.... wanting to postpone purchases to get it included, concerned about prices, etc. ... when SL will be a non-event for most average users. Remember, SL isn't going to focus on "bells and whistles", but rather, what's "under the hood". The ones who will benefit the most from SL are those who tend to "push the envelope" of performance. The average person who uses a computer for web surfing, email, basic photo stuff, etc. will probably see little or no difference at all between Leopard and Snow Leopard.

15. trip1ex macrumors 68000

There's always something better & cheaper around the corner in the tech world.

16. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I say hold off your purchase for 12 months. You'll get a better cheaper computer and Snow Leopard.

If you can hold off for 5 years all the better. You'll get OS XI.

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

1) He wont get a cheaper computer because Apple never lower their prices, however he may get a better computer, but if you work on that basis you'll always be waiting because theres always going to be better computers coming out.

2) Snow Leopard wont be OS XI, Snow Leopard is OS X.6 (OS 10.6)

Have a nice day :)

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's never a guarantee, but evidence strongly points to SL being retailed for $129. Apple will still make money off of it because it has legions of fans who will blindly purchase anything Steve Jobs tells them too.
    [/QUOTE]

I believe the "OS XI" was mentioned as a joke...

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

He wasn't saying OS XI would be Snow Leopard. He was saying:
    Wait 12 months and get Snow Leopard
    OR​
    Wait 5 years and get OS XI.​

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

But OS XI will be here in 3.5 years:confused:

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, it won't.

OS XI in 2019-20. That date keeps with the original plan for OS X.

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

if you don't need that mbp then don't buy it. don't buy a computer just because it's cheap (unless you are rich or you can resell it for profit of course).

if you need it then buy it. snow leopard will be out in 3-4 month earliest. i would even recommend to wait till they have fixed all the major bugs. that means you look at 9 month.

23. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

1800+130=less than new MacBook Pro. Buy it now and upgrade to snow leopard when released. It will still be cheaper than buying it with snow leopard

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's always a good idea to wait several months after initial release to switchover! Let the early adopters deal with the major bugs.