Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Free or not

• Free

Votes: 49 16.3%
  • Not

Votes: 194 64.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 23 7.6%

• Total voters

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Before, Apple used to have two OS development teams. One created new technologies (primarily of interest to developers), the other created new features leveraging those technologies (for end users). Even though supposedly merged the two team, I believe the pattern seems to be continuing:

10.2 Jaguar: New tech (Rendevous, Quartz Extreme, Address Book API, journalled filesystem, major changes to Core Audio)

10.3 Panther: Features (new Finder, Expose, Fast User Swithing, Preview rendering pdfs)

10.4 Tiger: New tech (Spotlight API, launchd, Core Image, Core Video)

10.5 Leopard: Features (major UI changes, Time Machine, Boot Camp, Quicklook, Spaces)

By that logic (and by what Apple have said) 10.6 is a new technology release. While there will certainly be new features, it's quite possible the most notable changes (apart from speed & stability) will be of most interest to developers.

I'd still expect them to charge full price.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
My vote is that Snow Leopard will not be free, but if it is as good as all the hype I'll gladly hand over my hard earned greenbacks for it.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
There hasn't been all that much hype... just a single page listing a mere 5 things.

Yes, but Steve can make it sound like an absolute must have ultimate product of your life. Even when (and especially) when it is less capable and inferior to the previous version.

Just look at the new iMovie (I haven't even managed to get anything semi useful from it). I can import video into it, and then I'm lost. All I can do is make it worse.

The old iMovie just works (a thing of beauty). I can work with the video without screwing it up first.

So, I'm sure the new Snow Leopard could fall flat on it's face, be little more than a mere web browser. And the salesman that he is, Steve could sell it like it was the most advanced operating system you've ever seen.

We'll all scramble to buy it, and discover that we've essentially just got Safari 5.0 without an Operating System.

Steve could sell you water in a flood when all you really need is dirt (to stand on). Or, put the other way, he could sell you sand in the desert when all you need is a drink of water. Steve is the ultimate salesman.

He can sell anything. Even if you can't use it, you'll think you need it.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Yes, but Steve can make it sound like an absolute must have ultimate product of your life. Even when (and especially) when it is less capable and inferior to the previous version.

Just look at the new iMovie (I haven't even managed to get anything semi useful from it). I can import video into it, and then I'm lost. All I can do is make it worse.

The old iMovie just works (a thing of beauty). I can work with the video without screwing it up first.

So, I'm sure the new Snow Leopard could fall flat on it's face, be little more than a mere web browser. And the salesman that he is, Steve could sell it like it was the most advanced operating system you've ever seen.

We'll all scramble to buy it, and discover that we've essentially just got Safari 5.0 without an Operating System.

Steve could sell you water in a flood when all you really need is dirt (to stand on). Or, put the other way, he could sell you sand in the desert when all you need is a drink of water. Steve is the ultimate salesman.

He can sell anything. Even if you can't use it, you'll think you need it.

I had no idea that Steve had hyped Snow Leopard so much. I seem to remember him mentioning the name at WWDC and that was it.:rolleyes: I guess I missed something.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I had no idea that Steve had hyped Snow Leopard so much. I seem to remember him mentioning the name at WWDC and that was it.:rolleyes: I guess I missed something.

Nope... I was referring to the release announcement. He'll sell it like he always does. You'll insist that you must have it by the time he's done.

I'm sure I'll want it as well. I just won't know it until he tells me ;)

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH

I have to disagree.

Being a post-iMovie 08 switcher, I had no experience with either iMovies. I used iMovie 08. It was simple, easy, understandable, and, despite the lack of effects, more powerful. iMovie 06, on the other hand, was harder, more complex, and not as good (in my opinion).

I honestly don't care that they got rid of the effects. iMovie 08 is MUCH better than iMovie 06.

AutumnSkyline

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
I love Apple, but I am sorry.

This is pathetic, people are defending Apple for making them pay $129 for a service pack!? That's what snow leopard is, It's essentially a service pack! A service pack that SHOULD have been included in Leopard to begin with, but the all important iPhone stole the show, delayed the launch by 10ish months, rushed some features, left others out (R.I.P Res. Independence) and Apple is now raping your wallet... wow, just wow.

If leopard wasn't so bloated to begin with, you wouldn't have to worry about "snow leopard".

I hope Apple has the brains to realize that charging for a service pack is a mistake... Or maybe they will decide to rob the people who chose not to upgrade to leopard and give those who did a free upgrade/discount! That'll teach them a lesson, you NEVER skip out when Apple tells you to do something...

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I have to disagree.

Being a post-iMovie 08 switcher, I had no experience with either iMovies. I used iMovie 08. It was simple, easy, understandable, and, despite the lack of effects, more powerful. iMovie 06, on the other hand, was harder, more complex, and not as good (in my opinion).

I honestly don't care that they got rid of the effects. iMovie 08 is MUCH better than iMovie 06.

It's not just the effects. It's the way that putting together a movie and arranging sequences and such are done. It's just a confusing mess in iMovie '08.

Every time I try and do anything with iMovie '08, it does everything but what I want. It's either a severely messed up environment, or the learning curve is too high.

iMovie 6 was clean, simple, and didn't confuse me at all.

I just don't even get or understand what I'm looking at when I try and do something in '08. It's just too confusing.

iMovie 6 makes it extremely easy to get a movie to DVD and have it look very nice and professional.

iMovie '08 from what I can make of it is essentially iTube (great for making short clips to upload on the Internet). The thing is, I don't need any movie program to upload clips to the Internet. I can take them straight from my camera and upload the original camera files to do that.

To me, the interface is too messy. To many panels to work with. The appearance and the interface do not make it readily clear as to what you are trying to do with them.

Every time I open it, I feel like I just walked into a rats nest with stuff everywhere.

It's just not up to Apple's previous standard for a clean and clear interface.

It kind of feels as intuitive as the DOS Shell from MS-DOS 5.0. The only difference? I understood the DOS Shell.

I think Apple tried to combine Windows Media Player with Windows Movie Maker (the less capable XP version), and combined all that with a version of iPhoto designed for short videos, and came out with a program that is just to confusing to do anything serious with.

Sure, you can put movie clips in it. Sure, you can upload them to the Internet. Yes, there's a backwards way to get them to DVD. Yes, there's a backwards way to set chapters (through a music program no less).

It just feels like the wrong tool for the job. Too many hoops to jump through. To much confusion. And, no clear path to the intended destination.

It's kind of like I'm surrounded by clowns on the green, and trying to play golf with a toothpick.

In iMovie 6, I just import my videos. Drag them to the slides in the order I want them. Drag title screens (if wanted) to the location I want them. Click on the spots where I want chapters to start and place a marker. And, send it to iDVD to burn. It can all be done in mere minutes.

Sure, you can get all fancy with it, and spend a couple of hours really tweaking a movie to get all professional with it. And, I love that about it as well. I can create something comparable to a professional store purchased DVD if I want to.

But, with iMovie '08, I haven't yet managed to get any useful finished video out of it. All I've gotten for my time investment is more confused. Perhaps if all I wanted was to upload a movie to the Internet, then it would be fine. But, then I wouldn't use any version of iMovie to do that, I'd just upload straight from the camera.

Or, for web videos: if I wanted to crop them down or cut out certain spots, and perform light editing, I could do that with Quicktime Pro (and get it done much faster, and with less confusion).

The thing is, once you've used iMovie from version's 4 through 6, and seen how simple it is to create professional looking finished videos, iMovie '08 just feels like a mess.

Like I said, it's like playing golf with a toothpick while surrounded by clowns on the green. Even worse, is that one of the clowns keeps waving the flag around, and I can't see whether the hole is on the left or the right (is it behind clown A, clown B, or clown C? Perhaps it's behind the elephant?

Oh.... wait.... there it is, the Tiger just ran off with it in his mouth....

Are you sure this isn't miniature golf??????

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It's not just the effects....
....Oh.... wait.... there it is, the Tiger just ran off with it in his mouth....

Are you sure this isn't miniature golf??????

iMovie '06 is a horrible movie editor (ridiculously bad), '08 is nice for throwing together montages and family videos. If you want to make a movie get FCE.

applemacosx

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
definitely free

the snow leopard os is just an upgrade on the mac version 10.5 so it will be free , if not then it will be mac os 11 and not mac 10.6.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
I'll be quite happy if it adds a 10% decrease in boot time and nothing else.

How often do you restart? Sleep. :p

the snow leopard os is just an upgrade on the mac version 10.5 so it will be free , if not then it will be mac os 11 and not mac 10.6.

I'm with TS, its going to cost all the same as it has before, and there's no chance its OS11. Jobs has said that Snow Leopard will not add new flashy features, but its core is to make your mac faster. PPC support is out the window, Rosetta is optional in the latest tester, and its supposed to use the GPU more. Which is great, our nvidia boards can fail faster then. Hopefully more apps will be 64bit and I'd like to see aqua and iTunes come together so everything is nice and looks integrated, like it should...

bender7

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
free upgrade?

I just bought a new MBP yesterday... didn't realize SL isn't on it until a few months from now. Do I qualify for a free upgrade? If not, that'd really suck because MS gives free upgrade to Win7 if you buy a PC now...

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I just bought a new MBP yesterday... didn't realize SL isn't on it until a few months from now. Do I qualify for a free upgrade? If not, that'd really suck because MS gives free upgrade to Win7 if you buy a PC now...

There are no free upgrades. It does not "suck". They are not the same company and the purpose of upgrading is not the same. With Microsoft, you're updating from VISTA to Seven; moving from something worthless to something that is actually good for once.

With Apple, you're updating from something usable to something slimmer, faster, and more usable.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
You get it fir 9.99.... Just the price of shipping.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

Excellent research on a $2000 computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.