Snow Leopard / Genius Bar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ooo, Jul 13, 2009.

1. ooo macrumors 6502

Well it was kind of lame today. I was denied service due to the fact I had snow leopard installed even though I had a hardware issue. Just a heads up for people who have snow leopard installed and need their machine fixed.

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Not surprised, really. I have all my things backed up so if worse comes to worse I have no problem wiping the HD to put Leopard back on.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Are you a developer cause that's stupid if they don't help devs?

And I'm guessing that maybe the drivers for Snow Leopard aren't 100% up to par and maybe would affect performance of hardware but I don't know.

4. ooo thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess that's where having an air without an optical drive is an issue. Time to do a time machine backup and 3 hour reinstall of leopard.

Yep, I'm a WWDC attendee so I got a badge and the dvd to show them. I guess Snow Leopard is still beta, so its understandable. I guess it's use it at your own risk. Now I'm wondering if the machine freezes on the login screen and for some reason you can't bring up the boot menu, then I guess your out of luck.

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah - I mean I guess it makes sense since Geniuses aren't trained on non-released software so it may cast doubts on if it's a hardware or software problem.

Good luck with with reinstallation - I can't believe it takes over 3 hours :eek:

6. ooo thread starter macrumors 6502

Network installs are a pain =/

Now I wonder how this restore is going to work when the time comes. If I time machine snow leopard and I reinstall leopard. Does that mean when I get my device I will have to reinstall snow leopard before reverting to my time machine?

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

In that case, thats just retarded of them. I'm not really fund of the Apple store.

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

As someone said, it's still in beta, so the user has to assume the risks that come with that. Apple can't expect their retail workers to know the ins and outs of a beta product and properly support it.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...the Apple Store wasn't progressing backwards. You could make an argument that they were not progressing forwards.

To the OP, I wonder if the people at the Dev. Connection can help?

10. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Then again, I might have said that cause my experience with Apple store up north at least has been retarded.

11. ooo thread starter macrumors 6502

My issue will be the same whether its leopard or snow leopard. Basically I have a fan issue. This isn't the first time I had my fan repaired. I experienced this problem when I was running leopard. When the fan hits 6200rpm it refuses to lower. It'll stay there even at idle.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Sorta not so much my point.

13. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

While that's true, it's annoying that Apple sells their Genius bar reps as anything other than tier 1 tech support, which is what they are. The trouble is that the Geniuses buy into the hype.

14. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I get your freaking point.

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I might say your real problem is the Macbook Air, not the Genius....

16. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

It all depends on the apple store you're at. Good ones bad ones!

17. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I don't think Apple gave you any right to take a computer with Snow Leopard installed and show it to anyone who isn't under an NDA, and that includes Apple Store employees.

You are a software developer, you figure it out. Either on your own, or by discussing in private with others who are under NDA.

18. ooo thread starter macrumors 6502

So that means if anyone peeks over my shoulders I have to close the lid of my machine?

Well the whole beta thing really sucks for iPhone / iPod users then. If you're currently using 3.1 and your headphone jack refuses to work or screen messes up, they can deny you service. You can't even revert to 3.0 when your in beta. Sometimes, issues are clearly due to hardware and not software.

19. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

They would not help me with my iPhone because I have 3.1 on it. Can't blame them really... Then I came home and fixed the BT issue myself.