Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tube

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
Ran into the problem discussed here (with MacBook Pro running SL 10.6.3). Just to report, the recipe below works, or at least worked for me. Cheers for the help! It's kind of odd the Mac doesn't offer the driver updates automagically.

Exceptions being (new updates I suppose) that the driver version is 1.2.0.224, though the page the driver updates are found is the same (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907). Pick the only 1022 driver which does not have Gutenprint, the Gutenprint version did not do anything.

The installer crashed/locked in the final stage of the installation of the driver package, but it doesn't seem to matter.

/T

Hi everybody

I found the solution on another forum and I have to say it works nice for my suprise. Here it is:

1) Make sure your running 10.6.1
2) Download and Install the latest HP drivers here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907
3) Go to System Preferences and add a new printer
4) Make sure your 1020 is plugged via USB
5) Make sure it says "Searching for new drivers"
6) In the Print Using drop down click "Select Printer Software"
7) Find the driver that says "HP LaserJet 1022 1.0.0.148"
8) Click Add and you should be good to go.

jonkun227

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
The Apple support doc download method worked for me. I'm running 10.6.3 on an early 2008 MacBook Pro.

The installer is HUGE (300-something megabytes) and installs over half a gig on your drive. And it hangs FOREVER at the end of the install (30+ minutes in my case), but when I came back after lunch it had completed. Installed the only available 1022 driver and it works perfectly.

Thank you everyone!

- Jon

Jasonscott71

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Northern Virginia
Ran into the problem discussed here (with MacBook Pro running SL 10.6.3). Just to report, the recipe below works, or at least worked for me. Cheers for the help! It's kind of odd the Mac doesn't offer the driver updates automagically.

Exceptions being (new updates I suppose) that the driver version is 1.2.0.224,

/T
I had the same successful result.

I would delete the previous reference to any printer in the system preferences too, so you don't have to specify which 1020 every time you print.

Using an early '08 MBP (2.4ghz, 4GB RARM), the install took about 7 minutes, with the final 3 minutes of that being the "hang up" others described at the end of the install. No crashes, etc., just the fan started churning.

I'm glad to have found this solution, so many thanks to those who found and confirmed this solution.

devriesfilms

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
It Worked!!

This worked for me! And I don't feel like a dummie anymore. By the way some tips: In the txt file is a discription of everything you need to do. Be patient, it takes a while, don't get nervous!! Every time you run a prompt (don't forget to push 'enter' afterwards) wait till your computername pops up. Specially in the beginning the running of the commands take a while. Then right down the next prompt. One time I had to quit the Terminal and to restart the computer and then just continued typing the next prompt.

Good luck, Jochem

Hey, everyone.

I made some instructions that are as simple as I can possibly imagine. It is exactly what I did and I am able to print to my 1020. No guarantees that this will work for you and if you know absolutely nothing about the command line it may be better to steer clear. That being said, it's so cookie-cutter that you should be able to do it regardless.

Standard disclaimer: this may not work for you and could potentially screw up your Snow Leopard install (although that's probably pretty unlikely).

Download the two files here: http://idisk.mac.com/geoffchapman-Public?view=web. One is a text file with the instructions and the other is a .zip file - expand it and you will find the Automator app I describe in the text file. FYI this app does not do the install for you (although I wish it did) - it's only to help with a small bit once you've got everything done.

Please post back with your system config and whether or not it worked. I am going to be around today - I'll try to get back to any quick questions. But I am going to be out of the country for two weeks starting tomorrow so at that point you're on your own.

Good luck!

devriesfilms

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Laserjet 1020 mac snow leopard

This worked for my aswell!! Thanks! Don't forget to register first as apple developer to get the necessary programs. I don't need to unplug the USB from all the time (I even use wireless printing with Airport Express). The only thing that I need to do is send the comment to the printer in the Terminal when I want to print a document. (was mentioned in the text). Ciao, Jochem

Follow the instructions here exactly. I can confirm that this works (so far) for my 1020 on Snow Leopard.

No idea if it's going to be possible to get the old driver to work but the 10.6 Printers folder looks quite a bit different. I wouldn't count on it.

devriesfilms

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Laserjet 1020 Snow Leopard

This worked for me!!
For those who have red this text. Be patient! It takes a while before all the commands in the Terminal are processed. You know when the command is processed when your computername pomps up. I'm gratefull and glad it finally works fine. I don't need to unplug the USB plug all the time (I even use wireless printing with Airport Express). The only thing that I need to do is send the comment to the printer in the Terminal when I want to print a document. (was mentioned in the text). Ciao, Jochem

Hey, everyone.

I made some instructions that are as simple as I can possibly imagine. It is exactly what I did and I am able to print to my 1020. No guarantees that this will work for you and if you know absolutely nothing about the command line it may be better to steer clear. That being said, it's so cookie-cutter that you should be able to do it regardless.

Standard disclaimer: this may not work for you and could potentially screw up your Snow Leopard install (although that's probably pretty unlikely).

Download the two files here: http://idisk.mac.com/geoffchapman-Public?view=web. One is a text file with the instructions and the other is a .zip file - expand it and you will find the Automator app I describe in the text file. FYI this app does not do the install for you (although I wish it did) - it's only to help with a small bit once you've got everything done.

Please post back with your system config and whether or not it worked. I am going to be around today - I'll try to get back to any quick questions. But I am going to be out of the country for two weeks starting tomorrow so at that point you're on your own.

Good luck!

bday09

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Hi Space Turtle,

Thank you for your post. Did using the instructions/downloads on the page:

OpenPrinting/MacOSX/hpijs
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/hpijs

work for you? That is, are you now able to print to an HP LaserJet 1020 printer with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

I have Snow Leopard and an HP LaserJet 1020 and I couldn't get it to work with the above website and downloads. Looks like that provides a lot of drivers but not one for the 1020.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.