Snow Leopard is Apple's Vista

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doug in albq, Nov 9, 2009.

1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

In more ways than the obvious ones.

I upgraded from 10.6.1 to 10.5.8 over the weekend. My speedy, properly functioning Mac is back!

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

this could've been a really good thread but lazy OP kills it

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't have any problems other than my macbook refusing to stay asleep if I leave the screen open or monitor plugged in.

Not exactly Vista style frustration by any means....

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

"if i'm not having problems, everyone else's problems are irrelevant"

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

I upgraded from 10.5.8 to 10.6 and my speedy, properly functioning Mac is even more speedy and just as functional.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's probably due to the fact that Apple tried to change too much too fast, just like how MS tried to change too many subsystems too fast with vista. Not many new features, but a new audio,video, and something else subsystem make for a whole lot of issues, no matter what kernel you're running.

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

How many of these threads do we need?

Snow Leopard has problems, but didn't Tiger until 10.4.2? Didn't Leopard until 10.5.2?

Who has used 10.0? or 10.1 or 10.2

Snow Leopard is way better than any of those three. Yes it has problems, but I wouldn't call it Vista just yet...

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

Not any more than "If I'm having problems, then others should too, and the entire OS is crap and everyone should be as mad as me"

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

11. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

I agree Snow Leopard has it's problems (none of which I have personally experienced), but it is better than Leopard's initial release in which iTunes used 50% of the processor to play a song.

And it is NOWHERE near the failure that is Vista. Every OS has problems, its just the nature of very large complex programming projects. Something is bound to get overlooked.

But instead of whining about your problems why don't you try submitting them to Apple so that they can fix them with future releases. Mac OS X Snow Leopard Feedback

12. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

This is a useless thread. Try and post something a little more constructive next time. :confused:

13. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Snow Leopard has been the least problematic major OS X update for me, and I've been updating since the start. I work on or maintain four computers, and I've had just a couple small issues. From what I've read and the amount of threads on problems, people in general have had fewer issues than in the past.

I think most of the issues come from people who have installed hacks or haxies that operate at a low level of the OS. Also, printer and scanner drivers were a bigger annoyance than in the past (in part because they released it a month early), but most of those problems have been fixed.

14. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

+1.
    Nothing wrong with Snow Leopard, it has been far less buggy –for me– in its .0 and .1 releases compared with Leopard and Tiger etc.

15. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Who is saying this? People are just getting irate because their problems are being discounted as trivial because heaven forfend someone criticize Apple.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Great DIET thread, made with 95% fewer new ideas.

Less filling and satisfying that a REAL new thread.

17. gibbz macrumors 68030

I didn't say anyone said it.

I was merely pointing out that

Does NOT equal

18. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Umm, the OP is. He's equating it to Vista in the title, which in this community is akin to the Scarlet Letter. He's completely discounting the masses of people who aren't having problems with their installation of Snowy.

Secondly, and probably most importantly, it's not like Apple's sitting on their thumbs when it comes to those having problems with their install of 10.6. Or, have you missed the articles on the 10.6.2 beta that have been posted?

19. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

just like loads of people had no issues with Vista, you mean?

20. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, because when Vista came out, most people had problems with it. That is just not the case with Snow Leopard.

S-

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

More like "I'm having problems, that means the rest of the world must be, therefore this system sucks" from the OP.

Does it have flaws, of course it does its millions of lines of code. Is it as bad a vista? Never in my experience have I had the same amount of frustration as that OS.

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Retail 10.4 and 10.5 worked fine here and in my test environment of PowerPC and Intel machines at the time. 10.4.4 on Intel was solid as well for being the first out.

Sadly my experience only goes back to 10.2.8 and it worked well enough for being the end of the pinstripe Aqua era.

I think that Vista comes up as the closest comparison. The hype machine was tuned to off and Apple just tried to slide it out the door quietly.

Snow Leopard was supposed to feel like a refinement and it was marketed as such. Sadly 10.5.8 feels like a much better experience. Leopard was just so good and we've been more or less let down by 10.6. In my opinion Apple should have waited until the iMacs were ready to ship Snow Leopard. It really needs some bugs sorted out.

The quiet launch is turning out to have quite the negative effect.

23. halisray macrumors regular

SL just came out.. wait until some updates.. anyways i don't find it bad at all

24. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I disagree. Snow Leopard does feel like a refinement. I get better performance and user experience with Snow Leopard than I did with 10.5.8. I just proved that to myself by running an old backup.

Do you have any experience testing something as massive an OS? The test lab and beta testers can only test so many configurations. At some point, you just have to release the OS and see what happens in the real world. You hope no major bugs show up but you know bugs we will show up that you never saw in testing.

Snow Leopard, for the vast majority of users, is just fine.

S-

25. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

"my anecdotal evidence is more valid than your anecdotal evidence, because~"