Snow leopard license

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tunerX, Nov 23, 2009.

1. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I just bought a new iMac and I have the install disk. I want to order snow leopard for my older white iMac...

Can I make the purchase and instead of waiting for the disks to arrive, install from my current disks?

I don't know how the licensing works but figured that as long as a license was paid for that I could use the media I have on hand.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, the disk with your new iMac will only work on that model. Is your old white iMac an intel model?

3. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

All the installer disks that ship with a computer that you purchase will only work with that computer model, and not with any other model. Even if they have the same processor. (A tip because these installer disks all look identical: Make a note on the packaging exactly which model the disks are for. )

5. gjw4u macrumors 6502

OP, what are the specs of your old iMac? (CPU model / speed // amount of RAM)

6. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

24"

3GB RAM
    2.33 Intel core2 duo T7600
    Nvidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB

I chose the 24" model and upgraded everything to max.

I just ordered it, and there was nothing about choosing a platform or anything. Are the apple store copies for all models and the ones that come with a specific platform, platform-specific?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The restore DVDs supplied with a machine are very specific. The full, retail copies are not.

8. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

I guess I will wait for the new copy to arrive in the mail

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

As a licensing matter, I think you would be okay not to wait, once you've made the purchase, however.

10. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

I just tried it, it will not install. I have to wait anyway. I figured it was worth a try.

11. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Remember that the licensing agreement states that you are installing the OS on ONE computer, unless you purchased a full version, family pack, which allows you to install the software on up to 5 computers in the same household.

12. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

I was thinking that the license was purchased when my credit card was charged and not associated with the physical media.

13. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

So there's retail versions of OSX? What about he Snow Leopard purchased fro Apple - is that full retail?

14. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

Yeah, it has to be since I was never asked to provide any details about my system.

The disks included with your system are for that system. Retail disks are for all Macs.

15. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

Should be here tomorrow before noon.

Apple is pretty good with the shipping; if only I had patience... stupid instant gratification always gets me.

16. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

Got the disk, inserted it, 35 minutes later and it is running fine...

I installed Vista ultimate on a laptop with better specs than my old iMac... 12 hours with all of the updates...

17. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

If you purchase a new Mac from Apple that comes if 10.5 preinstalled and it comes with a disk for 10.6 in addition to the restore discs, you can us that Snow Leopard disk on other Macs you have. It's a full upgrade disk and not tied to the machine like the restore disks are. However it is against the agreement you mush agree too of one disk one install. It's only $27, just buy a new copy for your other computer.

18. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

It was actually 35 dollars with tax and shipping.

I bought the retail version. The i7 only came with restore disks, which didn't work on the older iMac. I didn't want to wait the 2-3 days for shipping... In the end, that is what I did.