Snow Leopard messed up my external HD and Time Machine Partition?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drummerboy03, Sep 1, 2009.

1. drummerboy03 macrumors member

I'm not sure exactly what happened - I installed snow leopard and everything went fine.

Now when i try to do a time machine backup it errors and says that i should try to "repair the disk"

the other partition in my external enclosure is a HD for extra file storage. i tried opening a .dmg file from this partition and it says "dmg corrupt"!

what gives?! I'm scared that snow leopard made my time machine backup drive and my basic extra storage drive unreadable!

I'm trying the disk utility "repair permissions" right now on the Time Machine backup drive like the prompt suggested.. crossing my fingers this works. Should I try to repair permissions on the extra storage drive as well?? why is this happening?

any help if greatly appreciated

2. drummerboy03 thread starter macrumors member

repair completed and said: "the volume TM Backup OWC appears to be OK"

whats going on??!! It still wont backup!

3. MacbookWoo macrumors member

I just got my brand new MBP on Saturday and I installed Snow Leopard and decided to pass on it i reinstalled the previous software 10.5.8 I was running into some error messages with SL so i switched back and I have been running faster and no error messages, I am going to wait until they get a few updates before switching over to it

4. drummerboy03 thread starter macrumors member

still cant get my time machine to backup or open any dmg files from my external :(

5. drummerboy03 thread starter macrumors member

am i screwed? have i lost my TM backups and all my .dmg files??

i have not seen anyone else with this problem! help!

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You should be using "Repair Disk", not "Repair Disk Permissions". Give that a try on both external partitions.

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

install tm error logger, it gives more details about TM errors