Snow Leopard: mouse 'show desktop' shortcut

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jhero, Aug 26, 2009.

1. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

I was just wondering if anyone has been able to assign a mouse shortcut to the show desktop expose function? It seems to not work for me regardless of the mouse button I choose under SL

thanks

EDIT: Steermouse is a workaround for the issue

2. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I've had times where it doesn't work right away. My biggest problem is that my logitech mouse makes 15 buttons appear and I forget which one I assign to each command. I only use the two buttons located near the thumb. So if you know what button corresponds to the right number, maybe logout?

3. jhero thread starter macrumors 6502

jhero

It's odd

I usually set it to Mouse Button 5 and when I set that mouse button to any other function besides 'show desktop' it works. Any mouse button that I set to 'show desktop' refuses to work

4. jhero thread starter macrumors 6502

jhero

5. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

It worked when I first set it. Then it stopped working. Now it's working again. I'm also using mouse button 5, by the way.

6. jhero thread starter macrumors 6502

jhero

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I dont normally use this feature as a mouse shortcut but i have tried it now and mines working fine.

8. Jangpatjaree macrumors newbie

me too,

I set extra buttons to activate Spaces and Show Desktop. Most of the time, it works. But after I upgraded to SL, it doesn't work at all. However, if I change the buttons to All windows and Application windows works, it works. Mine is logitech too.

Edit : solved!!! , http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10070005

9. DrD macrumors member

DrD

Not fixed, the thread you are linking to shows how there's just a temporary fix, i.e. the bug comes right back after restarting. I and several other people have this same problem, where expose's "show desktop" feature and the mouse do not get along. Make and model of mouse appears to be irrelevant.

10. Plastic7 macrumors newbie

Yes.

Same problem here.

Deleting the User/Libary/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist and log out will reset your expose settings and actually solves the problem but it comes again very quickly. whats the permanent solution?

11. jhero thread starter macrumors 6502

jhero

I am actually now using SteerMouse and it works great :)

12. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

13. mishaneah macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I've got the same problem on my Logitech MX Revolution

14. mishaneah macrumors newbie

Found a fix!

move the exposé.app file from Applications/Utilities to Applications and restart

15. full moon macrumors newbie

My iHome mouse has five buttons all work fine showing expose, spaces, and dashboard in SL.

16. bobgorila macrumors member

bobgorila

I've got a Logitech G5, and whatever I assign to button 5 doesn't stick.

Button 4 stays put no matter what, but after a while button 5 will stop doing spaces or show desktop (I changed it in case it was a spaces bug).

The Spaces pref pane still shows it's set to button 5, and changing the button then changing it back to 5 doesn't stick. I've tried USB overdrive, but it doesn't seem to help.

Related: is there a utility to map the useless + and - buttons on the top of the mouse? I'd love to have one of them trigger dashboard like I had on an older mouse.

17. IChing macrumors regular

Logitech did not up their drivers and command center for Snow Leopard

I've had some problems with my mouse and LCC so I went to Logitech and found this news from them .....

Update:

The LCC 3.1 should be available tonight or tomorrow.

LCC3.1 brief summary:
    - Supports both 32bit and 64bit Snow Leopard
    - Backwards compatible with all LCC supported devices

Reported problem not yet addressed:
    -Mac shortcut key is not yet addressed

Reported problem still under investigation:
    1. mx620: strange click behavior with "menu" item
    2. MX1100: Scroll Freezes on some applications
    3. Cursor: Jumping cursor with World of Warcraft
    It is still being investigated but something to do with Scroll Enhancer implementation in LCC.
    The following workaround will impact the scrolling performance, please try and see if works for you.
    Workaround:
    - Locate Scroll Enhancer files and move to different folder or Desktop
    - If it did work for you, keep it as is
    - If it did not work for you, move the files back to its original location

File Name: Location:
    LCC Scroll Enhancer.bundle /Library/Application Support/Logitech
    LCC Scroll Enhancer Loader /Library/InputManagers
    LCC Scroll Enhancer Loader.osax /Library/ScriptingAdditions

==================================================
    Past posts:

LCC 3.1 will be the first LCC version that supports Snow Leopard 32 and 64 bit.

Its targeted release date is 2 weeks or sooner.

Updated subject line. Message Edited by woody on 09-16-2009 05:20 PM

Updated Message Body: (post on page 5)
    http://forums.logitech.com/logitech...&thread.id=2193&view=by_date_ascending&page=5
    The fact is we missed our target release date. Please don't read the following reasons as excuses.

1. I will post updates once I have a solid release date.
    2. We have introuced a lot of Unifying products which implemented new RF technologies this summer. Although our engineering resource was streched but we were still confident to release LCC in time or two weeks after Snow Leopard at the time of planning.
    3. In the original planning, the LCC3.1 release date was between mid Sep and early Oct.
    4. Snow Leopard came out earlier, and we thought we might able to release it in two weeks time but we missed it.
    5. Our engineering group is working hard to get LCC 3.1 released ASAP but it most likely won't be ready this Friday.

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=macmice&thread.id=2193

18. bobgorila macrumors member

bobgorila

Isn't the LCC for their wireless products? I'm not keen on installing logitech stuff just for a 5-button (7-button?) USB mouse, this stuff should be fairly simple.

Not to mention I suspect it's a Snow Leopard bug around mice with a fifth button...

19. Tygernoot macrumors member

I have the same issue with my old Logitech MX310 mouse. In Leopard it worked half the time. In SL it hasn't worked so far.

Pretty annoying, since I use(d) it a lot and now have to switch to hot corners.

When you click it in certain cases it does a normal left-click. It's like a partly functioning left-click button now :p

I never used the Logitech drivers since 10.3 or something.

20. pinchies macrumors newbie

Exposé: Show desktop bug

It is a bug. I've had this problem since tiger (!!), first with a logitech MX400 using LCC and then without, and now using a Microsoft Memory Mouse 8000.

The fifth button can be set to "show desktop", but after some time the *function* stops working, but I can reassign another function to the same button and that works, so it is not a problem with the mouse. Either it is a problem with LCC that has been left behind after installing (unlikely methinks) or a bug that apple hasn't yet seen or fixed.

21. beaudjangles macrumors newbie

Got bug?

First post.

I have this problem too, so I've assigned a 5th button to show app windows now and it's working fine. Show desktop will not work even as a 2 button mouse assigned to the secondary button.

5 buttons can work.
    Show Desktop will never work even as left click and all other mouse shortcuts disabled.

22. djRom macrumors newbie

This is still a major problem with me too! Only once in a while can I get osx to work properly. Only once in a while if I reboot with the mouse already plugged in at the time of boot. But that isn't even a guarantee. I never had this problem with my older macbook pro's. Just my late 08 mbp. Has anyone come up with any real solution? I've even reinstalled a fresh copy of SL to try and fix the problem.

23. TwisterMc macrumors newbie

I have this issue too and it's annoying. No matter what I set 'Show Desktop' to on my Logitech MX 310, it doesn't do a damn thing under Snow Leopard.

I've never installed the Logitech software, it just used to work by setting Apple's system preferences.

This is very annoying.

Anyone found a fix yet?

24. gid macrumors member

I'm still getting this in 10.6.3, although it's not wiping ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolickeys.plist that works for me: it's a wipe of ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.universalaccess.plist instead. The only Universal Access tool I use is Display Zoom (for checking individual pixels in UI design), but I doubt it's that.

I've taken a copy of the bad plist, but putting it back and restarting doesn't trigger the problem. Next time I lose capability to "Show Desktop", I'll diff the two files to try to find out where the problem lies.

Bizarre.

25. gid macrumors member

Following on from that... it just happened again, so I diffed the symbolichotkeys and universalaccess plists, and there were a few unexpected differences. So, I restored the old copies and restarted the Dock (which I believe is the process that handles Exposé) and it was fixed.

Okay, but I then restored the broken files again and restarted Dock and it was still fixed.

Something weird is going on. I'm starting to wonder if forcing a change to the file and restarting Dock might refresh a corrupted cached setting somewhere else. Next time it happens, I'll give it another shot.