Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Snow Leopard Screenshots Show Little New

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Over the holiday weekend, some screenshots and video of the developer release of Snow Leopard were posted to a german site.

Overall, the images show little new from the WWDC build originally released back in July, but may be of interest to some readers. By its nature, Snow Leopard will have little in the way of visual changes and most of the improvements are said to be "under the hood". New Apple technologies such as Grand Central and Open CL will allow developers to easily tap into multi-core CPUs and GPUs that reside in most Macs.

Apple is expected to update the Mac mini and iMac to incorporate the latest NVIDIA GPUs. In doing so, they will enable all shipping Macs to take advantage of many of the benefits of Snow Leopard. Apple is rumored to be showing Snow Leopard at Macworld Expo which kicks off on January 5th.

Article Link: Snow Leopard Screenshots Show Little New

El Carbonite

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
Apple could just be keeping things a little close to the vest and not distributing builds to devs with features that they don't want to be leaked. Look what they did with Leopard.

Who knows?

Comment

Rorikynn

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
This is shocking....not.

This is hardly shocking or even news worthy.

I'm not a developer and my computer runs very fast already. Apple is going to have to do a lot more than that to convince me to upgrade.

Then don't upgrade. Jeesh.

Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Why is this on page 1?

I think the 10a222 developer release has already been discussed a lot, and that this build is far from finalised seems logic.

More of a "move along, nothing to see here", IMHO.

If there is something new to be seen in Snow Leopard, we'll see it @ MWSF... even if Schiller is going to demo it (I just cannot get used to the idea... I'm sorry).
The dev builds following MWSF will give us plenty of screenshots and movies to play around with. ;)

Comment

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
To my understanding. Snow Leopard is not really anything special for the everyday consumer. What it will do is fix a lot of security issues the Leopard has that everyday consumers don't know about but ppl in the IT industry do.

Comment

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I will be curious to see how this is priced. Many changes will be under the hood yes, but I know many will buy this just to get rid of Entourage in an Exchange world. Using iCal, Mail, and Address Book to connect natively to an Exchange server will be fantastic.

Comment

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
Umm..

This is hardly shocking or even news worthy.

Then don't upgrade. Jeesh.

That's what he said, actually. He won't upgrade, without a compelling reason.

Not everyone has a huge wallet to throw at every upgrade on their production box. If that's a prerequisite for liking Macs, we have a problem.

Comment

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I will be curious to see how this is priced. Many changes will be under the hood yes, but I know many will buy this just to get rid of Entourage in an Exchange world. Using iCal, Mail, and Address Book to connect natively to an Exchange server will be fantastic.

I wonder about this myself. I also wonder though, how will Apple demo this with so many features not visible to the average consumer's eye?

Comment

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

I can tell you that I won't upgrade for this reason. I use an Exchange and happen to like Entourage for it. Makes my life easier not having to open multiple apps to get to what I need. And what does "connect natively to and Exchange server" mean anyway. Nothing native about it since the Exchange servers are Windows based.

Comment

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Obligatory "I want ZFS standard and resolution independence" post.

Is this news, really? Hopefully this 32-bit compatibility mode will be dead before launch...

What do you care? Your kernel will be 64 bit and your OS will take advantage of that natively. If you have a pet application that isn't 64 bit yet, cutting 32 bit compatibility won't accelerate it in time for the release. There are tons of UNIX applications that will be moving to 64 bit, not just on OS X, but on Linux, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris/Solaris, AIX, NetBSD, etc.

They aren't handcuffing the OS with a 32bit kernel and 64 bit app layer.

Comment

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
If the changes are under the hood then you will upgrade or expect to do without software/hardware upgrades that require 10.6 to run.

Comment

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
Snow Leopard seems to me like an admission that Leopard needs improvements and has flaws that need fixing. Not quite the flawless OS that the marketing dept tout it as uh.

I welcome the improvements as Leopard has some major performance issues IME. It's a shame they need a .1 release to do this though and it will be interesting to see how many users cough up the cash for the upgrade.

Comment

Matt342

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
Those screenshots ARE OF THE WWDC BUILD! Notice how not all processes are 64-bit (which they are on the latest seed of Snow Leopard), and on the video the about dialog box shows build 10a96.

Comment

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Well, I have to give this one a big 'ol Duh.

Anything could have changed in the past 6 months.

Comment

Matt342

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
The way this sentence is phrased: "Overall, the images show little new from the WWDC build originally released back in July, but may be of interest to some readers.", makes it sound as if the screenshots/video Sevenmac posted are DIFFERENT from the WWDC build.

Well, I have to give this one a big 'ol Duh.

Anything could have changed in the past 6 months.

Comment

delhokie

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008
More than meets the eye

Look at how much smaller Mail and iCal are- amazing! This is the kind of thing they promised, and I think this is a great move!

Regarding pricing/upgrade... I have a theory that they will tie an upgrade to ilife with upgrading the OS. What if they bundle iLife with OS X? That was a rumor a year or so ago, and this may be the time to do it. I'd upgrade if I get a new version of iLife that gives me more features and takes advantage of snow Leopard's goodness.

Comment

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I can't wait for Phil...

They aren't handcuffing the OS with a 32bit kernel and 64 bit app layer.

I can't wait for Phil to explain why it was so wonderful that 10.5 gave full support for 64-bit, but without requiring new 64-bit drivers and 32-bit compatibility mode - but now 10.6 gives true full support for 64-bit, but requires all new drivers and 32-bit compatibility mode.

Apple 10.5: Ship 32-bit kernel, and knock Windows for the issues that a 64-bit kernel introduces.

Apple 10.6: Ship 64-bit kernel, and admit that Windows did it right the first time?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.