Snow Leopard slow for me?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Abokiniec, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Abokiniec macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm running a MacBook Pro 13"
    Processer - 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory - 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

And I've noticed that it doesn't load as fast on start up since i installed Snow Leopard, it was faster on just Leopard, Is it me? Is there a setting needing to be changed? Is it a glitch? Or just nothing to worry about?

Thanks

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I'd chill your beans :D

It should get better in a day or two...

-Omi

3. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I am having the same problems, everything seems slow.

4. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I found the same thing immediately after installing. I rebooted once and all seems zippier.

5. parnelljw macrumors newbie

Snow is slow...

I'm with you. I definitely have noticed slower performance. Particularly with Firefox/Safari. Browser is jumpy and latent.

also seems like fan is maxed all the time. macbook (13" aluminum) also feels like its running hotter than before.

actually considering rolling it back to regular leopard.

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Have you guys tried just doing a restart?

Things have never been snappier this end, but immediately after installation I was getting beachballs.

Now I'm not.

-Omi

7. yettimillan macrumors regular

Definately runs slightly slower for some apps.

Has anyone noticed the startup is slower?

8. lamadude macrumors 6502

To me everything seems noticeably faster, especially the core apps and processes (mail, finder, boot up and shut down time etc). 3rd party apps such as firefox seem neither faster nor slower. This is of course all very subjective since I didn't time anything before installing SL

9. yettimillan macrumors regular

Admittedly the shutdown is faster but only marginally, I always found it very fast anyway.

I am considering re installing Leopard until 10.6.1/2 is released.

Also I have a problem with my batter icon, it continuously says calculating.

10. helix21 macrumors regular

I know exactly how you feel. Restart it about 2 times and you will see it speed up dramatically

11. david803sc macrumors member

david803sc

I did an upgrade on a current model Mac Mini after the upgrade and rebooting several times, I noticed it was slower than before the upgrade, nothing I did worked, finally after making sure I had a good backup I rebooted to the Snow Leopard disk deleted the partition, and created a new one than did a fresh install this time out of the gate was 100% better and faster, if you have a good back up and it is still slow you may want to try a fresh install it worked for me.

David

12. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

I'm in the exact same boat. Performance of some applications seems to have gone down a little bit. Shutdown feels faster, however, startup feels slower than Leopard. Same config as first post.

13. Deepdiver macrumors newbie

Speeding up Firefox with Snow Leopard

I too have noticed that the load times for pages became so slow after I did a upgrade to Snow Leopard with Firefox. After poking around in the advance setting I discovered that a setting advance setting had changed.

I set the network to configure Proxies to access the internet to "Use system proxy setting" from the "Auto-Detect proxy setting for this network " This located under the Firefox Tab under the advance, network, setting. If this corrects the problem you will noticed a instant improvement afterwords.

14. *GG* macrumors regular

I do regret installing Snow Leopard. It has definitely slowed things down. I get the spinning pizza a lot with safari now - I didn't before. The sync for mobile me goes none stop now as well - and it is constantly asking me to merge things. On top of that I have lost a pile of stationary I used to have in Mail. I have given up on trying to sort things out on it to run smoothly and just hope they do an update to fix things soon. :(

15. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

If before upgrading to SL you were using AdBlock in Safari, it is now broke under SL. I was getting beach balls as well until I:

1.) Downloaded the new version of AdBlock
    2.) Toggled Safari to use 32bit mode (Get info).

16. wjlee91 macrumors member

same

I had the same problem. But everything got better after I erased some fonts in the library. Seems like some of the fonts are not compatible with SL and so the fonthelper program is taking some cpu and making this slower.

17. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Is this on the iMac in your signature? I've installed SL on my 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac (aluminium late 2007), with 4GB of RAM, and it's definately noticeably slower. I don't run any haxies or status bars or any CPU-hogging add-on either.

18. aygie macrumors regular

My MacPro has been noticeably slower. Going to try a fresh install a see what happens, will report back...:)

19. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

I've not noticed a thing, it's definitely NOT faster.
    Maybe there are a few bugs that will be fixed in 10.6.1

20. arsine macrumors newbie

i have a mac mini and i have been experiencing sluggish system response as well since the snow leopard update.

21. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

22. wizbo macrumors newbie

I did a "check permissions" & "repair permissions", then rebooted before installing Snow Leopard on my MAC Mini and iMAC and didn't experience any problems after or since...

Did anybody try doing this after the installation to see if that helped?

23. hobofoto macrumors newbie

Restarts fixed it

Pretty strange - I was having *very* slow application load/quit on my 20" iMac: 30+ seconds to start Firefox, nearly a full minute for Photoshop Elements, 30 seconds on iPhoto. 13" Macbook was much faster for all of the above. So i followed folks' advice: restarted the iMac several times. Each restart was faster, now all of the apps are faster than I ever saw under Tiger or Leopard.

The big difference between the iMac & the Macbook: I shut down the Macbook several times each day, the iMac stays on.

I'm happy, but I don't have a clue how the restarts seem to have fixed the problem.

... hf

Aluminum iMac (10.6.1, iLife-9) White Macbook (10.6.1, iLife-9)

24. jst2bd macrumors newbie

I have also noticed a huge slow down since upgrading to 10.6.1.

It wasn't really noticeable at first, the spinning beach ball started to get more frequent in about 2 weeks since upgrading. Everything including the finder will at times appear to freeze for 5 mins or more.

I decided to do a fresh install, removed all peripherals, 3rd party ram, install only basic apps to see any improvements. Everything seem fine aside from the slow startup for about 2 weeks. Then again it started to get real slow. This time after doing some video conversions. (I'm normally a light user.)

I'm ready to wipe my hard-drive again and only install 10.5. I was perfectly happy with Leopard only.

24" iMac 2.8 Duo 2008
    2 Gig factory ram
    320 HD

25. CK-MAC macrumors newbie

everything was faster at first (launch and shutdown), and before you know it there were plenty of crashes then startup and shutdown are much slower than it was in leopard.