Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VS007

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
I too realized SL requires frequent reboots to keep it snappy,else it starts dragging even to open a mail app or even dashboard!
This happens even when I am casually surfing(not youtube sites).

Lately I have found two reasons why my MBA turns on fan or starts dragging:

1. Swap: When my MBA starts for the first time and with safari open, the free memory is around 1.2GB. After few hours of browsing and after using few apps like Mail, Textedit and closing them completely, the free memory starts hovering around 400-500M. Looks like there is a memory leak as I cannot get back to original free memory even with quitting all the apps. It is just a matter of time before free memory becomes ~30MB and the MBA starts swapping with 100MB.

2. I use my MBA mostly for surfing, and sometimes I often I see this process WebKitPlugin, lately I have seen it spinning or rather hogging my CPU resources to 79%!! I have mentioned in this post:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/800178/

The bottomline is I have started using the Unix based laptop more as a DOS based and reboot everyday or couple of times on weekends. The only plus point of SL is reboot times is faster. :D

Regards

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Mine is dragging... 1 Minute it will be fine.. another minute you cant even force quit an app... I expect better from apple....

ravis144

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
Reinstalling Snow Leopard resolves sluggishness

I too found everything was sluggish after installing Snow Leopard. Apple Support recommended reinstalling Snow Leopard. Nothing else.

That seems to have worked - Firefox opens faster and I can switch quickly between programs.

JDEvolutionist

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
Oh so slow Snow Leopard

I too am having major problems now with speed - using a MacBook Pro - also use MS Office 2008 and this gets so slow at times that you have to wait for the letters to come up when typing. Now starting to get very frustrated with the whole thing. I've only recently switched over to Apple and I'm beginning to wish I had not, there was a lot of additional investment to make the switch and quite a few things have been a lot less that 'straight out of the box'.

What's Apple supposed to be doing about it all?

Disgruntled User!!

I have also noticed a huge slow down since upgrading to 10.6.1.

It wasn't really noticeable at first, the spinning beach ball started to get more frequent in about 2 weeks since upgrading. Everything including the finder will at times appear to freeze for 5 mins or more.

I decided to do a fresh install, removed all peripherals, 3rd party ram, install only basic apps to see any improvements. Everything seem fine aside from the slow startup for about 2 weeks. Then again it started to get real slow. This time after doing some video conversions. (I'm normally a light user.)

I'm ready to wipe my hard-drive again and only install 10.5. I was perfectly happy with Leopard only.

24" iMac 2.8 Duo 2008
2 Gig factory ram
320 HD

AmazingRobie

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
I thought it was just my imagination and I've been going out of my head. Installing SL sped up my computer until I installed the first set of updates, now every Adobe App runs friggin' slow. Illustrator...slow, Photoshop...slow. I'm uninstalling this piece of crap and going back to Leopard and then never updating. The last generation basic build is fine for what I use it for. :mad:

POS Apple

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Hey guys,

I'm running a MacBook Pro 13"
Processer - 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory - 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

And I've noticed that it doesn't load as fast on start up since i installed Snow Leopard, it was faster on just Leopard, Is it me? Is there a setting needing to be changed? Is it a glitch? Or just nothing to worry about?

Thanks

I run SL on a Quad Mac Pro with 8 GB RAM and also was unable to find any hint of the promised performance boosts that Snow Leopard was supposed to bring. Quite the opposite happened - I think the new Finder is a good deal slower than Leopard's.

The worst for me is how unreliable and slow wireless connections are in Snow Leopard. Wireless works great in 64-Bit Ubuntu 9.10 Beta and on 64-Bit Vista Ultimate Edition on this computer (both native installations, of course), but it's almost unacceptable in Snow Leopard.

From an overall perspective, Snow Leopard wasn't worth installing.

mlibrescu

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
California
Same Problem

I bought Snow Leopard on the day it came out. Everything was running fine until about a week or so ago. Now booting up takes forever. First I get a gray screen for about 30 seconds, then a gray screen with the apple logo for maybe another 30 seconds. Then a blue screen, then my desktop wallpaper, then the dock, and finally, the icons for my HD and connected drives and everything on the desktop. When I open up an app like TweetDeck, I now get a spinning beachball before after it opens that goes away after about 15 seconds.

I'm going to try repairing permissions and also re-setting my modem and router in case this is some kind of network problem.

aygie

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
I bought Snow Leopard on the day it came out. Everything was running fine until about a week or so ago. Now booting up takes forever. First I get a gray screen for about 30 seconds, then a gray screen with the apple logo for maybe another 30 seconds. Then a blue screen, then my desktop wallpaper, then the dock, and finally, the icons for my HD and connected drives and everything on the desktop. When I open up an app like TweetDeck, I now get a spinning beachball before after it opens that goes away after about 15 seconds.

I'm going to try repairing permissions and also re-setting my modem and router in case this is some kind of network problem.

Exact same issue here, 20-30 second grey screen, then apple logo grey screen.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Snow Leopard is buggy...

But the gray screen on powerup is most likely caused by a minor problem. Go to System Preferences, Startup Disk. Switch it to something else, and then back to your main drive.

Then go to Display. Change the resolution down one, and then back to maximum.

Your long grey boot screen should be gone.

mlibrescu

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
California
My Problem Solved, Most Likely Network Problem

First, I noticed that I had a really large file on the desktop (over 1GB) and trashed it. Next, I shut down the Mac and unplugged the power to my cable modem and router and then re-attached their power cords. Booted the Mac up and this time it booted OK. The hint that it may have been a network problem was that TweetDeck started slow and I also noticed that Safari loaded really slowly when started up.

aygie

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
Just wanted to chime in and say that someone on another forum had some bad performance issues, we got to the point where he created a new user account and his machine was back to a good speed.

As soon as he tried to put the wallpaper onto the picture folder mode and to cycle through the photos every 5 secs his machine went back to being slow again.

He jumped back into his main account and did removed the wallpaper option and voila his computer seems to be running great. I suggest everyone try the same and report back their results. :)

Talos

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
Odd fix?

First, I'm a newbie here.

I wanted to share an apparent fix for this problem that someone e-mailed to me. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but maybe it will to you. :confused:

1. In System Information, choose Sharing.
2. Uncheck File Sharing.
3. Remove all of the entries in the list of Shared Folders.
4. Reboot.
5. Now, if you use use File Sharing, go back and turn it on again and add the folders you want to share.
6. Reboot.

Well, it worked for me ... night and day. And I don't think the 2 reboots have anything to do with it, because I tend to reboot every day anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.