Snow Leopard Time Machine HELP and more....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sbbrown333, Sep 6, 2009.

1. sbbrown333 macrumors member

So I installed Snow Leopard on launch day and I'm having some trouble. My main problem is I want to use Boot Camp to partition my Macbook to run Windows Vista to play some games that I have. Boot Camp said I couldn't do this yet and that I needed to restore because files cannot be moved. So I went to do a new Time Machine backup on Snow Leopard and it's amazingly SLOW. It calculates forever and is really slow to the point I've given up on it. And it's trying to backup the whole HD again when I just want it to do like before and just add the newer stuff on my HD to the backup. Also I'm getting a blue screen and loading spinnner when shutting down, and I thought Snow Leopard was faster shutting down. Now it takes almost a minute to shut down. Any help on these issues is greatly appreciated. I'm new and I hope I put this in the correct thread, if not I'm really sorry. Thanks.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I would clone your HD with a program like SuperDuper! and then reformat/partition your hard drive and restore everything back onto the Mac side with migration assistant.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Is it your first time backing up? If so, that's why, you have to give SL time to do its magic.

Also, my first back-up in SL (after the SL upgrade) took me a while. The next where simple, fast and painless.

4. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Maybe it's not finished?

A couple of comments:

- do you shut down Vista before using TimeMachine?
    - when TM is slow, do you give up on and just shut down the MacBook
    anyway?

From what I understand, the first time TM runs after SL installation, it may
    be slow - apparently, it needs to update more things.

And the other thing I understood was that VMs can still be changing files
    while they are on, so maybe TM can't finish because the VM is busy. I
    certainly don't know all the details of this . . . And I'm running VMware,
    not BootCamp.

For reference, my first TM backup was actually faster than what I remember
    on Leopard. It needed to backup 50GB or so, and the initial process of
    "calculating" what had changed was represented by a progress bar, and
    finished very quickly. Then the rest of writing the 50GB went at a typical
    pace (I have my TM drive on an FW800 port).

Hope this helps . . .

5. sbbrown333 thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm not running the other partition yet. As I said it won't let me do it without doing a restore. But I'm thinking now I should just erase everything and start over, but just copy all my music, movies, and pictures from my external HD. Idk if its Snow Leopard or if its trying to install Windows but it's really slowed my MacBook down and I don't like it, at all.

6. jbuckley1944 macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard Time machine Problems

I was using Time machine for quite a long period with the same hard drive. When I switched to Snow Leopard, my Time Machine Backup hard drive began having problems which led to copy errors. I checked the hard drive with Disk Utility and the only way I could fix it was to reformat the drive losing my backups.

Now every time I try to use Time Machine, I get exactly the same problem.