Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Well with a major blizzard/snow in a good chunk of the country this past week...what are your thoughts of snowboarding vs skiing?

to me..snowboarding is like apple as skiing is like msft.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
i have to think the correlation between interest in tech and interest in snowboarding is a pretty strong one.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why does one have to be better then the other.

Sounds more like personal preference. I like skiing better but that doesn't mean skiing is superior, just that I like it. Someone else will like snow boarding.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
i have to think the correlation between interest in tech and interest in snowboarding is a pretty strong one.

I have to think that the correlation between your baseless theories and your general assumptions is a pretty strong one.

Snowboarding is not for just today's youth but it is a sport that is dominated by a younger crowd. When I learned, many a years ago, older people weren't real interested in it. Those who were out there already skied and had no reason to move to a snowboard. When snowboarding became huge more and more people started doing it. Much like skiing of course. I certainly don't correlate snowboarding to those interested in tech but if you have to stretch it that way then yes it could be fairly true because kids like tech and kids, if they're going to be in the snow, are probably likely to snowboard more so than ski.

Snowboarding however is not better than skiing, it would be a personal preference.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
I have to think that the correlation between your baseless theories and your general assumptions is a pretty strong one.

Snowboarding is not for just today's youth but it is a sport that is dominated by a younger crowd. When I learned, many a years ago, older people weren't real interested in it. Those who were out there already skied and had no reason to move to a snowboard. When snowboarding became huge more and more people started doing it. Much like skiing of course. I certainly don't correlate snowboarding to those interested in tech but if you have to stretch it that way then yes it could be fairly true because kids like tech and kids, if they're going to be in the snow, are probably likely to snowboard more so than ski.

Snowboarding however is not better than skiing, it would be a personal preference.

well apple is better than msft...so snowboarding can be better than skiing with that same line of reasoning.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

And to me, it's the opposite. You wouldn't catch me dead on skis after learning to snowboard and Apple will never see another red cent from me for their computers. Windows 7 is a great OS for my computing needs and the iMac that I had (and had stolen) was a piece of junk that I don't miss a bit.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
And to me, it's the opposite. You wouldn't catch me dead on skis after learning to snowboard and Apple will never see another red cent from me for their computers. Windows 7 is a great OS for my computing needs and the iMac that I had (and had stolen) was a piece of junk and I don't miss it a bit.

well sorry to hear the iMac you got was a piece of junk. should have gotten one of the non-junk versions.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
well sorry to hear the iMac you got was a piece of junk. should have gotten one of the non-junk versions.

Maybe calling it junk was a bit strong, but there were several simple tasks that continuously failed on the iMac that went without a hitch on my Windows Vista laptop immediately after. Maybe I did get a bad one, maybe the tasks I was attempting just weren't "OSX compatible". I'll never know. But the fact stands that Windows has always been more reliable for me.

I'd love to have a MBP that runs Windows 7. The machines themselves are certainly not hard on the eyes.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
I love skiing but have no interest in snowboarding. I learnt to ski at the age of 8 and, 11 years later, would describe myself as competent on the snow. For this reason, i would not even try snowboarding as i don't want to become a beginner once more

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I prefer sledging or tubing. They're more like Linux or my 1992 Casio personal organisers OS because they're things that do stuff and yea innit they're aweSAM and makes more sense than yet!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
well apple is better than msft...so snowboarding can be better than skiing with that same line of reasoning.

Yeah here's where I just think you're trying to troll. I don't get why, but it feels that way to me.

Snowboarding is not better than skiing, in my opinion. You're entitled to yours.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Well with a major blizzard/snow in a good chunk of the country this past week...what are your thoughts of snowboarding vs skiing?

This is an unfortunate point of view.

Snow riders like all types of devices, respect each other on the slopes and, most important, have fun together. That's the way it should be. :)

BTW, FWIW all of my snowboarding friends use PCs. My Mac using friends all ski with the exception of me. I do both (skiing & snowboarding) and use both (Macs & PCs). Go figure.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
I go snowboarding next Saturday in the Alps and I have never skied so I can't really compare. Ski sounds more technical (and let's say it, old fashioned) to me when Snowboarding appear cooler... But it's just personal opinion.

I have a lot of respect for people practicing both. Most of my mates who ski told me they feel totally unable to switch to snowboard because of the very different position.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

You're wrong

While I have snowboarded the last 10 years in CO, I have many many friends that are much much better skiers that like tech

Oh please:cool:

PS: How is that awesome snow in Florida lol

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Snowboarding! Have only been boarding the past two winters, but I'm picking it up quick (the basics that is) and it is so much fun!

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
One, Apple is not better than Microsoft.

You're saying that like it's a fact, and it's not. It's all preference.

One person could like Microsoft better than Apple, and one can like Apple better.

Same with snowboarding. There is no definite 'better' sport. Some people prefer snowboarding, some prefer skiing. Nothing wrong with either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.