Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kokoloko80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Israel
Been wanting to replace my 2012 imac for a long time with 27' 5k late 2017 imac, i was holding my decesion until today's apple event and unfortunatlly no new imacs or upgrades...
Should i wait a little longer (march 2019) ot take adventages of the price drops on the late 2017 models?

just to highlight my 2012 imac is breathing it's last breath... :(

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
Use refurbished store if you can.
Avoid Fusion drive, get only 8GB ram and update it later yourself for fraction of the cost - have fun.
I did same thing last month and couldn't be happier.

I assume you don't do anything crazy considering you are still on a 2012 so it is fair to say you will be very happy with the 2017.

Reactions: zweirad

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Use refurbished store if you can.
Avoid Fusion drive and have fun.
I did same thing last month and couldn't be happier.

I assume you don't do anything crazy considering you are still on a 2012 so it is fair to say you will be very happy with the 2017.

Not OP but trying to work out options-what’s the deal with fusion drive?

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Not OP but trying to work out options-what’s the deal with fusion drive?

Search the form there are loads of other threads on this topic... Some people prefer SSD only iMacs. Some people prefer fusion drives (which are a combination of a relatively small SSD with a larger HDD which Apple mush together to appear as one, given a compromise). Price/performance trade off basically, depends what you do with it.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Old tech, small SSD partition and etc. Avoid.

It’s not really old tech. There isn’t anything that has supplanted it for the purpose it was designed. It is a great solution for the problem of wanting to have more storage without spending a lot of money. I do agree that some of the fusion drives Apple sells are shamefully small.

I’d personally not buy a fusion drive with less than 128 GB. But I’d also never pay a $600 premium to get a 1TB drive or even $200 for the for 512 GB for my iMac.

Reactions: green86

MBM007

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Boulder
Indeed. Mac Mini = 8th gen processors, faster memory, not so good graphics options, more ports, bluetooth 5, 10Gb Ethernet.

The logic board in my 2011 27" iMac sh$t the bed 5 weeks ago and I've been waiting for this October event for what seems like an eternity! Just got back from shamefully buying a 2017 27incher in dire need of a desktop, but possibly thinking of returning it and going with a Mac mini to hold me over until there's an upgrade. Hard decision though as my 2010 Mac mini is still going strong hooked up to my flatscreen and easily handles downloading media and playing it...which is all I ask of it, so I won't really have much use for a new mini when the new iMac comes out.

What's a good looking monitor to pair with a Mini? I've got 3 of the older 20" silver cinema displays (one of which I'm using in portrait orientation next to my iMac for emails and extra screen real estate), but resolution is lacking with them and would like something 4k that isn't my tv.

Reactions: Icaras

droog

Suspended
Apr 10, 2018
It’s not really old tech. There isn’t anything that has supplanted it for the purpose it was designed. It is a great solution for the problem of wanting to have more storage without spending a lot of money. I do agree that some of the fusion drives Apple sells are shamefully small.

I’d personally not buy a fusion drive with less than 128 GB. But I’d also never pay a $600 premium to get a 1TB drive or even $200 for the for 512 GB for my iMac.
It's not really old? There is an entire world of computing outside of apple that is light years ahead of where Apple has left you.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
It's not really old? There is an entire world of computing outside of apple that is light years ahead of where Apple has left you.

No, it isn't old in the sense of outdated. What has replaced a Fusion drive for pairing fast SSDs with slow HDDs?

Pearple

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2017
There are several reasons, why no new iMacs were introduced:

1. 9th Generation CPUs not ready.

2. too many iMac pros still in stock.

3. Processing issues with the new Aluminum body (recycled metal of course)

4. Bondi Blue not yet vibrant, not good looking enough

5. Issues with new touchbar wireless keyboard and Touch ID mouse and trackpad

6. 2tb ssd and 4tb ssd still to expensive

7. burmeister speakers not yet fully designed

8. oled panel still not mass produced

9. new iWork not yet ready

10. uncertaincy over screen sizes (20 about to be dropped, 34 wide screen introduction)

When these issues have been solved in January, we will expect a keynote around feb 2-7th.

I would wait for that.

Source: Ming Pak Choi Chop Suey

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I'm planning to order a 2017 iMac for myself then give my late 2015 iMac (i7/395x) to my kids. I was hoping to see an update today but that didn't happen. The machine I'm looking at is -

• 4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 - I'll upgrade to 32GB myself
  • 3TB Fusion Drive
  • Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory

Price is $2599.00

Going with a 1TB SSD instead of the 3TB Fusion will add $600 plus I'd have to add an external hard drive. I need at least 2-3TB for drone videos. Is it really worth it? I'm all about performance but also like to save money. My next question is about doing that. Are the Black Friday deals worth it? Apple doesn't discount much but some retailers do. B&H Photo? $50-$100 isn't really a big deal but I wouldn't mind saving $200-$300. and not pay sales tax.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm planning to order a 2017 iMac for myself then give my late 2015 iMac (i7/395x) to my kids. I was hoping to see an update today but that didn't happen. The machine I'm looking at is -

• 4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 - I'll upgrade to 32GB myself
  • 3TB Fusion Drive
  • Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory
Price is $2599.00

Going with a 1TB SSD instead of the 3TB Fusion will add $600 plus I'd have to add an external hard drive. I need at least 2-3TB for drone videos. Is it really worth it? I'm all about performance but also like to save money. My next question is about doing that. Are the Black Friday deals worth it? Apple doesn't discount much but some retailers do. B&H Photo? $50-$100 isn't really a big deal but I wouldn't mind saving $200-$300. and not pay sales tax.

Get the Fusion drive if you need it. I've used them since they were introduced and don't have any issues with them, I need the storage for my workflow and don't want (even more) external drives around. I would say if you would use the SSD do not get the 1TB and rather the 512GB option to save money (or 256 but that seems too low for an iMac). Or rather just get the Fusion and come around to using an external SSD in the future as your primary boot up drive in the future because it doesn't seem like SSD storage is lowering in price on Apple products anytime soon. The Fusion performance isn't as good as a pure SSD but I think it's still a good value for the storage you get.

With Black Friday deals you won't be able to customize the computer unless you get it from Apple, and historically Apple only offers an extra gift card with a purchase. I recall something like a free 50 or 100 dollar gift card with a purchase, maybe more or less. B&H Photo I don't know much about their promotions, but they might have some deals on some configurations but maybe not a significant enough value more than what you posted. It is hard to say that the might offer this year and if it's worth it, if it's anything at all.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
New iMac refresh next month along with MBP updates.

More worthless predictions.
[doublepost=1540959983][/doublepost]
B&H Photo? $50-$100 isn't really a big deal but I wouldn't mind saving $200-$300. and not pay sales tax.

I love B&H, they stock MANY configurations, and you can sometimes save a couple hundred dollars, but I would not buy a computer there because they do not take computer returns. The odds are low that you're going to get an Apple dud, but they're expensive machines and I don't want to be spending time at the genius bar wondering if they're going to be able to figure it out after spending MUCH $$$ money on a new iMac.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Been wanting to replace my 2012 imac for a long time with 27' 5k late 2017 imac, i was holding my decesion until today's apple event and unfortunatlly no new imacs or upgrades...
Should i wait a little longer (march 2019) ot take adventages of the price drops on the late 2017 models?

just to highlight my 2012 imac is breathing it's last breath... :(

I played a gambit in July with the 2017 model, and I think it was worth it. My guess is that the next iMac will either be a simple coffee lake refresh with t2 chip and true tone display or a major redesign with a touch id keyboard or something. If you cant stand having to wait until June of next year, then just bite the bullet as I did and pay top dollar for aging tech thats still very competent. Knowing me, I’ll probably get really jealous whenever the new iMac comes out, so if that’s like you you might want to just wait it out another 7 or so months. I dropped $3k on mine so I pretty much have to live with whatever happens but it’s definitely an iffy choice either way.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I played a gambit in July with the 2017 model, and I think it was worth it. My guess is that the next iMac will either be a simple coffee lake refresh with t2 chip and true tone display or a major redesign with a touch id keyboard or something. If you cant stand having to wait until June of next year, then just bite the bullet as I did and pay top dollar for aging tech thats still very competent. Knowing me, I’ll probably get really jealous whenever the new iMac comes out, so if that’s like you you might want to just wait it out another 7 or so months. I dropped $3k on mine so I pretty much have to live with whatever happens but it’s definitely an iffy choice either way.

I did a similar thing, buying my 2017 iMac this past May. Glad I did. I use it every day, and the thought of staying with my old machine waiting month after month for the holy grail of a new release made absolutely no sense to me. I'm of the school "Buy One When You Need One." Otherwise it's like trying to time the stock market -- not worth it and too much aggravation. Plus, my 2017 is fantastic.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
No, it isn't old in the sense of outdated. What has replaced a Fusion drive for pairing fast SSDs with slow HDDs?

Bigger SSDs that can hold the complete OS, all of your applications and temporary files.

Even on Apple, a 256 or 512GB SSD is within reach - if you need more than that, then it’s probable for bulky stuff that is no problem to keep on an external drive, NAS or cloud storage - and it makes sense not to have your movie/photo/music library etc. sealed inside an iMac.

Of course, look beyond Apple and you can have systems with expandable internal storage and/or that don’t force you into the most expensive super-fast SSD that Apple uses.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
wait, you will get a better mac on lmost the same price with better design and better thermals and specs

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Bigger SSDs that can hold the complete OS, all of your applications and temporary files.

I don’t really consider that a replacement. That is just SSDs getting cheaper and coming with larger capacity. And that doesn’t make Fusion Drives old tech. Fusion Drive is still a good tech for pairing two different drives together. It could still be used to pair an even faster storage device should one come along. It can even be used to pair two SSDs, if you had such a need. It still solves a problem for some people even if it doesn’t apply to you personally.

Of course, look beyond Apple and you can have systems with expandable internal storage and/or that don’t force you into the most expensive super-fast SSD that Apple uses.

I’m not a fan of Apple’s options and pricing for drives. But that isn’t a problem with Fusion Drives. That is Apple marketing choices.

Also when dealing with all-in-ones and laptops upgrading components is always going to be more challenging. I’m not saying I approve of soldering memory on or things like that, but the form of the computer does make a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.