So all iphone 4s Won't fit in normal iPhone 4 cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Oct 8, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Why is that? Is thd phone slightly bigger then? Or is it just due to the top corner and camera lens?

2. Truckondo macrumors member

Might be if the side of the case involves the cutouts for volume buttons and mute switch. It looks like they changed the antenna design to resemble the CDMA iPhone 4.

3. mattydee87 macrumors regular

4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I could easily be wrong, but I was thinking they would fit in Verizon iPhone 4 cases. Am I completely off here?

5. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

The Bumper is still being sold for iPhone 4/4S so size hasn't changed.

6. Anthony.L macrumors member

Element Cases posted a press release on their site stating they are very confident all of their current iPhone 4 cases will also fit the new 4s. They of course won't know for sure until it's released, but they say the dimensions are identical.

http://www.elementcase.com/Articles.asp?ID=273

7. Alacheer10 macrumors member

Well, they said the white iPhone 4's (not 4S) wouldn't fit in the black iPhone 4 cases, but I have an otter box case for the black iPhone that fits my white 4. It doesn't interfere with any of the bottoms and I have no problem with my service. The reason the 4S won't fit 4 cases (other than the bumper thing) is because the camera is Bigger in the 4S. The bumper is obviously going to fit because it does not cover the camera. Also, since they added another antena to the 4S, the 4 cases might interrupt this and you might have service connection problems.

8. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

The camera lens on the 4S is NOT bigger and how would an internal antenna be affected by a case exactly?

Pic of 4S from Apple's site:

[​IMG]

Pic of iP4 from Apple's site:

[​IMG]

Looks the same to me.

9. tanster macrumors regular

tanster

My concern is about the location of the mute and volume buttons. I currently have a Belkin Grip Vue for my AT&T iPhone 4, and I'm not sure it's compatible with the 4S.

Check out Apple's Compare iPhone Models page.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other? Thanks!

Attached Files:

10. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

It will fit, its the same phone, it just has different parts inside. the outside is exactly the same. ;)

11. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Not true.... I called Otterbox and they said it won't fit because of the proximity sensor. There are any threads about this already. The case covers the sensor therefore leaving the screen on all the time while on a call, or so they say :cool:

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No, it's not. The buttons for volume are slightly lower.

13. fujigonewild006 macrumors newbie

at&t iphone 4 cases won't fit. Only cases compatible with the verizon model will fit.

the reason is because the mute switch is slightly moved, so cutouts for it won't fit.
    iphone-vzw-hands-dsc0559-rm-eng.jpg

Looks like someone already answered this above ha

14. steve dave macrumors 6502a

This is the correct answer. Cases for the ATT iPhone 4 will not fit any 4s. Cases made to fit the Verizon iPhone will.

15. tanster macrumors regular

tanster

Okey doke, thank you! :)

16. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

From what I've seen posted on case makers sights the 4S would use the Verizon cases. I think a lot of cases got redesigned to work with both GSM and CDMA when the CDMA i4 was released.

17. steve dave macrumors 6502a

True. A prime example is Apple's own bumpers. They made the cutout for the mute switch bigger so it would fit both the ATT and Verizon iPhone 4.

18. Alacheer10 macrumors member

Ok jackass. You don't have to be so rude about it. I was just going by what was said on the iPhone 4S video on Apple.com.

19. steve dave macrumors 6502a

The funny thing is that he is wrong.

20. javiwankenobi macrumors member

Everyone step out from their tiny little consumer point of view and look at it from manufacturers business standpoint. Of course they will not fit, sillyheads.

And if they were supposed to at first, hundreds of cases manufacturers pressured Apple to change it.

21. NJFP macrumors 6502

I have a Linear case/cover that I bought for my iP4 from one of the ad's on this forum. It's cutout by the volume/mute buttons will clearly allow the 4S to fit. As long as this is the ONLY external change, you're good to go.

The cover can be found at: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=linear+cases&qpvt=linear+cases&FORM=IGRE
    I'm NOT promoting the site, I simply purchased one from them and am happy with it.

22. BBC Model B macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G/3GS.

23. chaosbringer macrumors member

chaosbringer

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC670ZM/B

i'm guessing it's the second version of the bumper that came out the same time as the Verizon iPhone and that not only fitted the Verizon model, but also the allready existing AT&T model, and now, the 4S..

So from what i understand:

Fits Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4 --> Fits iPhone 4S
    Only fits AT&T iPhone 4 --> Does not fit iPhone 4S

24. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nevermind... Apparently missed the posts where the answer was provided. :)

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yes I knew that one as well, and the best part of all is that the new bumpers also have a larger dock connector opening for using third party cables :)