iPad mini So, am I the only one with an iPad Mini 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dan70, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Dan70 macrumors regular

It seems as if there is a lot of hate and negativity towards the Mini 3, am I the only one here who has one? I picked one up earlier today as I had an iPad 3 and wanted Touch ID, a gold iPad, a larger size (32GB up to 64GB), AirPlay and Apple Pay.

I think it's great so far. My iPad 3, although it served me very well and would recommend if someone was thinking of getting it, I felt I needed an upgrade to a mini. So far, I'm really pleased with it and was wondering whether anyone else has one?

I do understand the main frustration was that there wasn't much difference from a Mini 2 to Mini 3 but I think in my case (iPad 3 to Mini 3), it was a pretty decent upgrade if you're like me and wanted a smaller screen. I found my iPad 3 very heavy and hard to hold which is what prompted me to get a Mini over an Air.

Thoughts?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's a significant upgrade from the iPad 3. I probably would've still opted for the iPad Mini 2 instead since it's cheaper with the same internals and even the same physical hardware design.

3. drjsway macrumors 6502a

So you paid $100 for Touch ID? Mini 3 is great and I'm sure you'll love it. Most people, I think, would rather save the $100.

4. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

I have an iPad 3 as well, but I just feel weird spending the money on a new iPad with last year's processor. I was interested in the mini form factor, but not if Apple is going to treat it as a "5c"-like product.

5. Dan70 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I thought there were some nice features coupled in with the Mini 3. Whilst it's not a massive overhaul, I thought it was a decent purchase. I'm happy with it anyway so no complaint from me. If I had a mini 2 I wouldn't have upgraded.

6. Jawnathin macrumors 6502

People here are really finicky.

It is the same thing they bought and loved a year ago, except now it comes with better price vs capacity (64 & 128gb) and features (TouchID & Apple Pay), all for the same price they paid earlier in the year. Yet its horrible.

The Mini 2 here is a nice value at $100 less, but the Mini 3 is still a solid tablet

7. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Love my Mini 2 that I bought november last year. The Mini 3 is just as great and a little more so because it adds TouchID. And you can opt gold. To me that's no bonus because I wouldn't opt that colour. I'd like to trade my Mini 2 for a 3 but I wouldn't throw in an extra 100. You now can get a refurbished one for 259 (euro's) from the official Applestore, 14 day return window and 1 year Apple guarantee. That's a 140 euro difference. To me that's a no brainer. I think a refurb Mini 2 really is the best of any possible ipad deal at the moment. Tempted to buy another one:p

8. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I have the rMini and don't plan to upgrade, but if I was getting a Mini for the first time I would get the Mini 3. I really like touch ID. I think you'll be very happy with the Mini 3.

9. matraco macrumors regular

Thing is, he cant opt for the mini 2 brand new if he want a 64gb model so he had no other option. Still a good upgrade.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

As long as you are happy with it, that is all that matters. Enjoy your new iPad.

11. rkuo macrumors 6502a

It's a good upgrade. But technology is supposed to improve every year and in this case it barely changed. So the rap it gets is quite deserved.

12. rgarjr, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

the rMini is a nice little tablet, it's just that Apple decided not to upgrade much this time around.

13. DSTOFEL, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I don't think it's a matter of people around here being finicky or thinking the Mini's are horrible. It's more a matter of understanding what the Mini is and what it isn't. The Mini is a fine tablet. I've owned both previous versions and enjoyed both of them. However, I knew what I was getting into with each of the previous Mini's and I accepted their shortcomings.

No, the Retina Mini's are not spec'd out with the same processing power or RAM as the Air 2, but they are still a fine smaller tablet for those who value portability. The main shortcoming of the Mini (2 & 3) is with the display, with the inferior color reproduction (muted washed out colors and severely limited 62-63% gamut). That's not a few finicky people on this forum subjectively claiming that. Rather, most professional reviews are finally admitting it's an issue. Other than displaymate, I don't recall any reviews focusing on this glaring issue when the Mini 2 launched last year. Instead, most reviews that I saw last year stated something to the effect (ie paraphrased): "The Retina Mini and Air are exactly the same......the buyer just needs to decide on the screen size". Of course this was not true as there were major differences with arguably the primary component of a tablet.....the display!

For those not bothered by the display issue (ie color), the Retina Mini 2 or 3 is a fine choice. However, it's better to be aware of the facts going in so as to better make an informed decision.

14. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

If I didn't already own last years mini 2, I would get the mini 3. I would pay the $100 for touch id. As it is though, I'm not ready to upgrade yet.

Anandtech discussed it, and in my opinion gave a fairly objective assessment of it.

15. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

As far as I recall, no iPad model has Apple Pay…

16. runningtowin macrumors member

Apple Pay yes. NFC - only on the Air 2 (Unsure about this point).

Regardless, it's not for paying in-store, it's for buying things online.

17. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

So, am I the only one with an iPad Mini 3?

Both the mini 3 and air 2 have the NFL chip, as confirmed by iFixit. It's assumed they need the chip to securely store apple pay details. Neither has the NFC antenna tho needed for wireless payments.

18. Dan70 thread starter macrumors regular

Apple's website confirms that the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 are the only iPads to support Apple pay but they both only support in-app purchases, not NFC purchases in-store.

However it's still region locked. With me being in the UK I can't use it yet, but changing my region to the US (like you can on an iPhone) enables Apple Pay.

19. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Did you at least check out the Air 2? Its not really hard to hold and not that heavy. Just a thought... I was pretty set on getting a Mini of some sort to replace my old iPad 2, but when the Air 2 came out, just... had... to... get... it! :apple:

20. Strange Famous macrumors member

I did the same sort of upgrade today, but it was an iPad 2 to an iPad Mini 2. I'm liking the size and weight of the mini much better than the older full size iPad.

21. irnchriz, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014

irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

It's a good upgrade from the 3. It's just getting some stick for being last years iPad mini retina with only Touch ID added and with the same limited display. I think Apple thought last years model was good enough and wanted to widen the spec gap with the Air 2.

22. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

I bought a mini3 64Gb cellular yesterday. Really wanted a mini after having the Air last year and finding it too large.

Bought 2 x iPad mini 2's from the refurb store as wanted to save some money and wasn't bothered by Touch ID. However the first one had a horrible yellow screen and the second had a massive blue spot at the top (and a lump poking through causing the blue spot on the lcd!)

So not wanting to play the screen lottery with any more refurb mini 2's, went to the Apple store yesterday and bought a mini 3. More money than I wanted to spend but actually using it I find the Touch ID is really useful. Tried the air 2 which is really nice but still convinced it's just too large to be truly portable.

23. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad 3 and I'm trying to sell it. Personally for me, the iPad Air 2 is the perfect upgrade. If the OP's is comparing weight, I agree; they should have checked out the Air 2 as it's sooo much lighter and thinner than the iPad 3. When holding it I felt there was no need for an iPad Mini imo.

Anyone want to buy an immaculate iPad 3?:D

24. Nozuka macrumors 68000

it's not that the mini 3 is bad... it's just that the mini 2 is such a great deal now and the disappointment that they didnt give the 3 the update it deserved is just another reason not to buy it.

but i'm very happy with my mini 2 and if someone really needs or wants touchID they should go ahead and buy the mini 3.

but hopefully more people buy the mini 2 and apple gets the message.

25. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It's not a wrong choice, being a good upgrade from an iPad 3, but I still think the Air 2 to be a better deal, unless you really need a smaller screen.
    Even if bigger, the air is very easy to handle compared to previous generations iPads like the 3.