So Android and WP8 will have OFFLINE Maps and free turn-by-turn

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by DieAllianz, Jun 20, 2012.

1. DieAllianz, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

DieAllianz macrumors member

Attached Files:

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Okay.

iOS 6 also offers this.

Google has offered it on Android since day 1.

Different companies do different things.

Goodbye.

3. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Symbian has had turn by turn free for years using Nokia's Naviteq and was excellent IMO. Being Naviteq, you could install only the maps needed, i.e., only install Ontario maps instead of having to install entire Canada.

Anyone know if IO6 maps stored on the device for offline use? If not, it won't be too useful for foreign travel - high data roaming charges.

4. SurferMan macrumors 65816

You must have missed the "offline" part, i.e. these programs will now download and work "offline" for Nav just like a standalone GPS unit or 3rd party app's you had to buy like Navigon etc. iOS Maps will need data connection.

5. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Maps, I'm not sure, there is some caching going on, at least. However, a constant data connection is needed for turn-by-turn, which kinda kills the point for longer trips in the US. Android turn-by-turn is fine without a data connection, it simply doesn't update the graphics, but still routes you (ONLY if you don't go off course, lol).

6. DieAllianz thread starter macrumors member

of course it's about the offline-feature! to buy an App + a few maps for other countries is over 150-200 $/€, depending on how much maps you need. With the option to save the worldwide maps-data from google or Nokia it is a major major selling point to a Phone-OS and a huge benefit for customers.

But it seems the war on google is more important to apple than the customers

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

What I don't get is why people are complaining about this etc, there are plenty of apps at the present to do all of this and more. Last time I checked my Navigon app does offline turn by turn just fine and the maps interface looks superb.

Also it still even works on old as hell phones like the iPhone 3G and devices without a GPS like an iPod touch with a GPS attachment.

You don't have to use the apple maps you know.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Google has had offline forlike a year or more now. It just required you turning it on in Google Labs. Now they are just backing it completely into the app.

9. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I think you may be mistaken. In another thread someone used turn by turn on iOS 6 and lost connection on their journey and it continued....

10. pmz macrumors 68000

All Turn by Turn voice guided systems are horrible...every single one. If you rely on any of them, rather than simply planning your route from the overhead view of the map, you are a fool. Plain and simple.

Turn by turn is for lazy people who don't actually care if they make it to their destination safely or on time.

Apples solution is no better, other than the fluid and seamless changing between 3D and 2D which is key for navigation.

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Not necessarily. Also look at how it reroutes you around traffic and accidents.

12. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I know I use it on my GSII all the time ;) , before it would "cache" the maps in 10 mile radius I think.

13. pmz macrumors 68000

That is yet to be proven as anything more than a gimmick and not something you should rely on, at all. You'll end up going the wrong way, or driving a long way only to get stuck in the same traffic again.

I do like crowd-sourced traffic, though.

14. nfl46 macrumors 603

Oh well. You know Apple isn't giving us Offline Maps until iOS 7. They could at least give us lane navigation.

15. Seiga macrumors regular

Ever heard of Waze?

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Clearly you have no clue how the correct way to use Turn by Turn guidance system.

My general way of using my Voice guidance system is I look on a map were I want to go (normally google maps) and then often times I let Google give me the first set of direction as that speeds up the process greatly.

From there I look them over and see if there is anything I would change and make a note of it.
    From that point I will go over to the GPS system as that means I can get away with not paying attention to the signs as much and focus on driving. I use the voice system to give me a heads up when my next turn is and also it is left I have to directly remember. I can go down to where I made the notes of things I would over ride in the system.
    Next bonus is if and when I miss a turn the system can correct it for me instead of me having to be in very unfimilar area going in circles trying to figure it out.

Now I have used it for quick on the fly changes to where I was going where I did not have time to look at a map and then yeah I feel back completely on it.

----------

yeah do not count on that being worth much. There are plenty of systems out there right now that can and do use that and they are flaky at best going around messes. I do not see Apple doing any better. Biggest reason is the data is not that great. Even with crowd sourcing it still a lot of best guess and the mapping software is still going to want to default to major roads. Plus there generally are not that many good alternative routes to places.

17. pmz macrumors 68000

:rolleyes: There isn't much to know. Or at least, there isn't supposed to be.

I've been testing Apple's implementation of Siri + Apple maps for Turn By Turn.

It leaves a lot to be desired, but who knows maybe it will get better by release???? No, not likely, as the core functionality isn't going to change.

The way you describe using it is EXACTLY how I always use these solutions, because its beyond foolish, as I already stated, to pop in a destination and let the pretty lady's voice take over for you.

18. Brenz macrumors member

I have been using turn-by-turn without a data connection without a problem :rolleyes:

19. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Then this error,

"Cannot provide directions,
    The map server is unavalible"

must mean it's working offline for me. :rolleyes:

Hey - it may even be exactly how the offline support is supposed to function!

20. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Not to mention WP 8 will have transit directions, too.

21. Brenz macrumors member

Its still a BETA and it might not be working perfectly but there is certainly some offline turn-by-turn capability. Data coverage where I live is very patchy with 3G only available in towns but turn-by-turn works without fault excluding the images of going the wrong way around roundabouts.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Make a note the beta excuse is pretty weak. This is feature lock and only going to be minor bug fixes. How it act now is pretty much how it is going to be in final release.

23. Brenz macrumors member

Exactly but that doesn't explain why some people don't get offline turn-by-turn when others are, that's not a lack of the feature its a problem with the BETA.

24. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

just out of curiosity how do you have any idea what is a set in stone feature and what isn't? Apple has showed some of the new features of iOS 6 to the public and that is it.

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Yikes is all I have to say if you judge an OS's
    advancedness" based on its GPS.

If you want even better navigation buy a dedicated GPS like Tom Tom and Garmin.

Although a GPS is nice to have, I buy a phone to use as a phone and I'm sure many others do too.