So... anyone waiting for Rev. B?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fuzzy Orange, Jun 18, 2007.

  1. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

    Fuzzy Orange

    Jul 29, 2006
    I was thinking about buying an iPhone, but... I'm not sure if I can bring myself to buy a Rev. A iPhone, considering Apple's past Rev. A failures- the MacBook and MacBook Pro.
    Now, I know Apple has put a lot of energy and time into this project, but can we really be sure that this release will be bulletproof? Not to mention the somewhat weak storage... maybe Rev. B will offer better Flash storage (I just wanted 16 GBs of space, personally). Even though the iPod gets upgraded around every 1-1.5 years, it still retails for the same price- around $299. The iPhone retails for $599 (not counting the $499 model). I just hope they don't keep the same upgrade pattern of the iPod. I am thinking maybe every 2-2.5 years instead of the 1-1.5 years.
    All I am really saying is that we all know a Rev. B is coming, but what do you think we can expect from it? Are you waiting for it? Should I buy one soon?:p
  2. Stadsport macrumors regular

    Nov 9, 2006
  3. gr8tfly macrumors 603


    Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    You mean like other Rev. A failures, like the iMac, iPod,.... :)

    Anyway, NOBODY even knows the final feature set of the "rev. A" iPhone yet. Other than a very few hardware specs (maximum RAM and perhaps 3G), I can't see how one could reject the rev. A sight unseen.
  4. kamiboy macrumors 6502

    May 18, 2007
    Waiting a whole year for something I really want now because it might get "better"?

    Hell no!!

    As it is the iPhone is such a quantum leap over what I currently have and what else is available now that any notion of waiting seems preposterous to me. I'll take the iPhone, warts and all, right now over having to use the dog crap that passes for phones these days one second longer.

    In fact my mind is so made up on it that rather than waiting for the EU launch I have every intention of importing one at launch, even at the risk of not being able to unlock it in the forseeable future.
  5. applehero macrumors 6502

    Jun 12, 2007
    29º 25' 26"N, 95º 29' 36"W
    I would rather be part of the group that buys it now and contributes to the improvements through feedback that will help make iPhone a huge success. That will at least give me the right to complain seeing how I've invested in the product.

    I want it and it's going to be AWESOME. I can't wait until the "I told you so's" come out.
  6. n00basaur macrumors regular

    Apr 13, 2007
  7. lord patton macrumors 65816

    lord patton

    Jun 6, 2005
    SR iPhone ain't **** w/o penryn, n00b!
  8. slffl macrumors 65816


    Mar 5, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Ya, my 'Rev A' 17" Powerbook was a huge failure. Oh wait, it is the best computer I've ever owned. This whole 'Rev A' is nonsense. I don't know if you notice, but every 'Rev' has it's problems.

    I'll get a 'Rev A' iPhone. And when a 'Rev B' comes out, I'll sell it and get that. Simple.
  9. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

    Feb 22, 2007
    I'll be waiting for iPhone 2.0. Rumor has it they've already started working on it, and we all know it'll come with 3G. Right now the lack of 3G (combined with the price and ridiculous cost of service) is a huge deal breaker for me. I'm not about to pay $2500 over the next 2 years for a phone that doesn't have 3G.
  10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030


    Jan 11, 2007
    I'm wanting an iphone, but I don't NEED one yet.

    If my existing hacked treo 650 holds out, then no.

    I'm tempted to make a pledge and get an abstinence ring. To save myself form the Rev A headaches.
  11. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

    Jan 20, 2004
    I'm just waiting for Rev B solely b/c I want to see a bit more improved battery life (really as much as I can before I buy it, as well as they always update the battery a bit as technology improves) but more importantly more space. 8gb is just not enough, especially if they want me to put all my music on it, as well as some tv shows (every office epsiode) and a movie or two... but this device is awesome as is, and it has SOOO much potential
  12. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

    Feb 22, 2007
    Ah, another Office fan. I love it too!

    But I agree, 8GB isn't quite enough, and with the prices of flash memory dropping and dropping, I would definitely expect them to put more storage capacity in future versions of the iPhone.

    Also, did you read about the announcements made today, saying that they revised the battery life specifications? It now has hours of talk time, rather than 5. Something has me thinking that it was more a matter of tweaking the power optimization software than any new advances in battery technology though.
  13. gikku macrumors regular


    Dec 29, 2006
    waiting for the nano.
    or the shuffle, no touch-screen, ha!
  14. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

    Dec 28, 2006
    On one of my Macs of course
    I'll probably end up waiting for rev. B myself. I just signed up with Cingular last December on a family plan (my wife, my mother-in-law, and myself are all on the plan), so I don't have a clue as to how my switching to an iPhone would change my rates. I'm also out of the window for upgrading my cell phone, but that's really a non sequitur, as I can very easily justify the cost of the iPhone :D The primary reason I will probably wait is the storage capacity. I currently have a 30GB iPod and would like to replace my iPod (give it to my wife) with a 32GB iPhone (assuming multiples of 8GB in flash chip size), so I'll be waiting for a bit, maybe until rev. C, but then again ..... The more I read about the iPhone, the more I want it! I just don't know if I can wait!

  15. Twiztedklown316 macrumors member


    Oct 31, 2004
    Spokane, Wa
    Im going to wait for the version that allows you to run full version Final Cut Pro, and burn DVDs out of STUDIO PRO. :D

    In all seriousness, this phone is such a leap forward that I will without a doubt be getting one just as soon as I can possibly afford it. Hopefully by the end of July. If Im going to just wait for the next "better" version, then when that comes out I'll have to just wait till the better one yet comes out a year later.

    It'll be an endless cycle.


    1991 - Powerbook 170 is released -
    - "No I'm gonna hold off, I'll wait it'll get better."
    2007 - Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo is released -
    - "I just know apple has something better coming, so I'm still
    going to hold off on purchasing."

  16. theman5725 macrumors 6502

    Aug 2, 2006
    I'm waiting, but only because my Verizon contract doesn't end until September 2008. :(
  17. infobhan macrumors member

    Apr 27, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I've owned many revision A products: original iPod, original iMac, original 17" PowerBook, original MacBook. I've never regretted it. How are the MB and MBP Rev A failures? My MacBook is fantastic. Yes, it had some issues (sudden shutdown and "moo"ing), but all of these were fixed by Apple with no charge to me.

    I'm sure the Rev B iPhone will be better. And 3G would have been nice. But the fact is that it's not coming any time soon. And when Rev B comes out, a rev C will be in development. Instead, you could have Rev A now and wait for Rev B or C and then upgrade. Unless there's something that you need that Rev A doesn't do, I think it's worth getting it.

    On the other hand, if you are happy with your current cell phone, no one is forcing anyone to buy the iPhone.
  18. Gonzlobo Suspended

    May 9, 2007

    I've stopped searching for the best of anything electronic. I researched and shopped around for my latest mp3, pc, camera & hdtv, only to find out (after buying) that there's always something better, cheaper & faster than my research revealed. I still shop around, but I rarely regret those purchases... unless of course I bought a 4GB iphone. ;)

Share This Page