So apple is suing everyone over Android but why aren't they suing Microsoft over WP7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cali4ever, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Cali4ever macrumors member

So apple is suing everyone over Android but why aren't they suing Microsoft over WP7 and WP7 Mango?
    Windows Phone 7 has multi-touch and pinch and zoom. SO why isn't apple suing Microsoft?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. ViPhone macrumors 6502

They're not really suing "everyone", after all the manufacturers really have nothing to do with Android. They just say please and thank you when Google offers their software license for free.

Trust me, as a consumer, it will absolutely get back to you one way or another. As the consumer, you should be just as interested and (ideally) educated as the corporations involved.

Read the Business sections of the NYTimes or the WSJ, you'll understand why I'm saying this. And you'll be glad you did.

4. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

from what I understand both apple and MS own several pattents together...

5. ViPhone macrumors 6502

Those are mostly from the Nortell auction. They acquired these patents not so much for their own personal gain, but to protect themselves from future lawsuits from a very immoral company named Intellectual Ventures. IV buys thousands of patents then just sues the pants of major companies like Apple and Microsoft, often these are very broad patents. Because they are so broad, they can sue anyone for example, who violates their "telecommunications patent" which they can bring against a ton of people (AT&T, Verizon, Apple, Microsoft, Google, Motorola, HTC). That's why those patents were bought in a joint venture.

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/po...-Patent-Trolling-But-will-Reforms-Result.aspx

6. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I believe it's because they have a cross licensing deal in place to share each other's patent portfolio. AFAIK they have had it since the mid-late 90s and presumably they have renewed it since we never heard either of them trying to sue each other for something.

7. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Apple doesn't have enough money to fight Microsoft. They would lose

8. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Yeah, that 70 BILLION dollar cash reserve Apple has holds no weight, right?

9. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This makes me say "lol - um, what?!?" :D

Apple has a bigger market cap than MS, makes more money each quarter, AND has over $80 billion in cash. :rolleyes:

Btw, when was the last time either of the two sued each other?

10. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Apple has more cash than the US govt. 76 billion for Apple, 73 billion for Uncle Sam.

11. Xystence macrumors regular

I have not seen an Apple vs. Microsoft thread going this direction in sometime. Kind of neat though because the last time I did I was on Microsoft's side. Does that make me a traitor?

12. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Dude... You can't honestly believe all that.
    I like Apple stuff as much as the next guy, but as far as a companies go Apple is smalltime when compared to MS.

13. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Really now? Please explain.

I hate to come off as a rude fanboy, but calling Apple "smalltime" when they're approaching the world's largest company status (they're currently #2) doesn't cut it.

14. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I second this comment.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Half their cash is kept overseas (Apple doesn't want to pay US taxes on it).

--

It is generally believed that Apple and Microsoft have extensive cross-licensing agreements in place, dating from the 1997 one they negotiated after their GUI fight. That way, they don't have to spend all their time in court with each other.

16. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

That's true. Thanks kdarling! :)

17. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

They had, until the US was allowed to borrow again. I really hope this doesn't become one of those points people bring up over and over, it was only due to extenuating circumstances.

They have $76 billion.

18. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

No, Apple has more than that now.

19. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

edumacate yourself ;)

20. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

apple is number 2 in the world after Exxon.

number 2 at what?

.....guess :cool:

21. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Apple & Microsoft just got in bed together. Each of them benefits as they make a joint attack on Google. It's just the way the game is played in the tech sector. Nothing but business as usual. It all works out.

22. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

That and Apple is going after manufacturers, and a lot of people forget that Microsoft is doing the samething but only going after Motorola because they have made deals with Samsung, and HTC to spit out Windows Phone 7 devices instead of getting hit with lawsuits.

23. admanimal macrumors 68040

They made another $4 billion in the time it took you to type that.

24. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Killing people? :p

25. wlasikiewicz macrumors newbie

Didn't bill gates work for apple in the early days? Jobs and Gates are prob friends and with them being the biggest companies around it would be a financial error to sue each other.