Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cali4ever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
So apple is suing everyone over Android but why aren't they suing Microsoft over WP7 and WP7 Mango?
Windows Phone 7 has multi-touch and pinch and zoom. SO why isn't apple suing Microsoft?

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
They're not really suing "everyone", after all the manufacturers really have nothing to do with Android. They just say please and thank you when Google offers their software license for free.

Trust me, as a consumer, it will absolutely get back to you one way or another. As the consumer, you should be just as interested and (ideally) educated as the corporations involved.

Read the Business sections of the NYTimes or the WSJ, you'll understand why I'm saying this. And you'll be glad you did.

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
from what I understand both apple and MS own several pattents together...

Those are mostly from the Nortell auction. They acquired these patents not so much for their own personal gain, but to protect themselves from future lawsuits from a very immoral company named Intellectual Ventures. IV buys thousands of patents then just sues the pants of major companies like Apple and Microsoft, often these are very broad patents. Because they are so broad, they can sue anyone for example, who violates their "telecommunications patent" which they can bring against a ton of people (AT&T, Verizon, Apple, Microsoft, Google, Motorola, HTC). That's why those patents were bought in a joint venture.

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/po...-Patent-Trolling-But-will-Reforms-Result.aspx

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
So apple is suing everyone over Android but why aren't they suing Microsoft over WP7 and WP7 Mango?
Windows Phone 7 has multi-touch and pinch and zoom. SO why isn't apple suing Microsoft?

I believe it's because they have a cross licensing deal in place to share each other's patent portfolio. AFAIK they have had it since the mid-late 90s and presumably they have renewed it since we never heard either of them trying to sue each other for something.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Apple doesn't have enough money to fight Microsoft. They would lose

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looon said:
Apple doesn't have enough money to fight Microsoft. They would lose

This makes me say "lol - um, what?!?" :D

Apple has a bigger market cap than MS, makes more money each quarter, AND has over $80 billion in cash. :rolleyes:

Btw, when was the last time either of the two sued each other?

Xystence

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I have not seen an Apple vs. Microsoft thread going this direction in sometime. Kind of neat though because the last time I did I was on Microsoft's side. Does that make me a traitor?

DDar

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple has a bigger market cap than MS, makes more money each quarter, AND has over $80 billion in cash. :rolleyes:

Dude... You can't honestly believe all that.
I like Apple stuff as much as the next guy, but as far as a companies go Apple is smalltime when compared to MS.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States

DDar said:
Apple... said:

Dude... You can't honestly believe all that.
I like Apple stuff as much as the next guy, but as far as a companies go Apple is smalltime when compared to MS.

Really now? Please explain.

I hate to come off as a rude fanboy, but calling Apple "smalltime" when they're approaching the world's largest company status (they're currently #2) doesn't cut it.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010

Really now? Please explain.

I hate to come off as a rude fanboy, but calling Apple "smalltime" when they're approaching the world's largest company status (they're currently #2) doesn't cut it.

I second this comment.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Half their cash is kept overseas (Apple doesn't want to pay US taxes on it).

--

It is generally believed that Apple and Microsoft have extensive cross-licensing agreements in place, dating from the 1997 one they negotiated after their GUI fight. That way, they don't have to spend all their time in court with each other.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States

kdarling said:
Apple... said:

Half their cash is kept overseas (Apple doesn't want to pay US taxes on it).

--

It is generally believed that Apple and Microsoft have extensive cross-licensing agreements in place, dating from the mandatory one imposed after the GUI fight. That way, they don't have to spend all their time in court with each other.

That's true. Thanks kdarling! :)

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Apple has more cash than the US govt. 76 billion for Apple, 73 billion for Uncle Sam.

They had, until the US was allowed to borrow again. I really hope this doesn't become one of those points people bring up over and over, it was only due to extenuating circumstances.

They have $76 billion.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States

boss.king said:
Apple has more cash than the US govt. 76 billion for Apple, 73 billion for Uncle Sam.

They had, until the US was allowed to borrow again. I really hope this doesn't become one of those points people bring up over and over, it was only due to extenuating circumstances.

They have $76 billion.

No, Apple has more than that now.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Apple & Microsoft just got in bed together. Each of them benefits as they make a joint attack on Google. It's just the way the game is played in the tech sector. Nothing but business as usual. It all works out.

Hype2k2

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2010
Houston, Texas
Apple & Microsoft just got in bed together. Each of them benefits as they make a joint attack on Google. It's just the way the game is played in the tech sector. Nothing but business as usual. It all works out.

That and Apple is going after manufacturers, and a lot of people forget that Microsoft is doing the samething but only going after Motorola because they have made deals with Samsung, and HTC to spit out Windows Phone 7 devices instead of getting hit with lawsuits.

wlasikiewicz

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
UK
Didn't bill gates work for apple in the early days? Jobs and Gates are prob friends and with them being the biggest companies around it would be a financial error to sue each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.