So. Apple might be losing a customer after this.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sleepyrose, Aug 25, 2016.

1. sleepyrose macrumors newbie

sleepyrose

I've had my iPhone 6 since launch. It's always been in a case, never externally damaged. Lately the screen has been, for lack of a better term, having a seizure. I ignored it the first couple times because I know things like that can happen randomly. Finally today I called Apple and told them my gripes with the phone. I know I would have to pay a solid amount of money to get my phone fixed but this support guy said it would be $328. I'm trying to be level headed as I can be but COME ON. I don't have that money but I'm still going to the Apple store on Friday to speak with someone there. How is it that my mother paid $109 for a shattered screen repair but my phone is more than triple that?? If they don't budge on the price I have no other choice than to get a Galaxy phone from Verizon. I'm really upset because I've been with Apple for years now. Never have I heard of this problem happening or it being over $300 to fix.

Has anyone else had this issue with their iPhone 6? I really hope I'm not the only one.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. cynics macrumors G4

4. dennysanders macrumors 6502

dennysanders

screen repair is cheaper, yes...any other issue is going to be a full out of warranty price

5. Applejuiced, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it's just the screen then you don't need the phone replaced.
    You don't have to pay Apple, you can go to another iPhone repair place and depending on the issue of the device it could be cheaper.
    Replacing the screen and replacing the whole phone is not the same. Try AppleCare plus next time.
    And btw Samsung has a lot worst customer service than Apple when it comes to hardware issues.
    You think Samsung will fix your phone or replace it for free if you break it?

6. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

^^ This. I know people who have worked for Samsung and said if your phone is broken not too much they will tell you or do for you and tell you to buy a new one..

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Because you have a different issue, the screen isn't that expensive of a part compared to the logic board, which likely has a part that is soldered to it going bad.

8. DallasManic Suspended

why do not you try to fix it by yourself ?

9. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Where are you located that there are exactly only 2 phone options?

Or is this one of those situations where the carrier will give you a Galaxy for free which Fandroids will say has absolutely nothing to do with Samsung’s market share.

10. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Just go in with an open mind and show the genius exactly what is going on. I have had my 6+ swapped out twice by geniuses for free since I have owned it and both times were out of warranty and no applecare+.

First time I was getting screen lock ups and freezes constantly. I would unlock it and it would lag or freeze for about 15-20 seconds. This would happen about 20 times day. The genius looked at it and said lets swap it out.

Second time was that I lost all cellular signal. No matter what we did, swap sim cards, full restore.... nothing would find the network. They swapped that one out also free of charge.

So just be honest with them with what is happening and you may end up liking the outcome.

11. Azzin macrumors 68040

Get it replaced or repaired under the Applecare + policy you bought when you purchased the phone.

12. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 6. After spending some time in my back pocket (they don't bend, right?) a small flare developed on the screen. Noticeable, but not unusable. I have AppleCare. The first time I took it to Apple Store, they said there would be a replacement fee, because I had damaged the phone. I declined. A couple of months later, I took it in again, and they replaced it for free. Be courteous, even if they turn you down. Then go back and try again.

13. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

An out of warranty phone with an expensive manufacturers fix. Sounds typical for for anything, anywhere. I know it's frustrating but I don't think this is a product loyalty issue.

14. canuckRus, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016

canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

I'm trying to be level headed as I can be but COME ON. I don't have that money but I'm still going to the Apple store on Friday to speak with someone there. How is it that my mother paid $109 for a shattered screen repair but my phone is more than triple that?? If they don't budge on the price I have no other choice than to get a Galaxy phone from Verizon. I'm really upset because I've been with Apple for years now. Never have I heard of this problem happening or it being over $300 to fix.

Has anyone else had this issue with their iPhone 6? I really hope I'm not the only one.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a warranty issue? When purchased? 2nd anniversary (Sept.19/14) coming up soon. Perhaps your credit card covers the 2nd year warranty.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

If you're peeved about paying for out of warranty service then I don't think jumping ship will help at all. Apple have the best aftersales service. You do get 2 years warranty with Samsung but I have not heard anything positive about getting them to honour said warranty which is why there is no way in hell I'd buy a non Apple device without insurance
    --- Post Merged, Aug 25, 2016 ---
    The reason why the cost is higher is because in the case of your moms iPhone they replaced the screen on her phone. In your case they are simply going to give you an out of warranty replacement. They won't do any work on your phone. So the cost of replacing a whole phone is going to be higher than simply fixing the screen.

16. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I'll tell you why. The problem is not the screen.

The problem is that the Touch ICs on the logic board failed and Apple wants you to pay for a replacement (refurbished) iPhone.

17. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Probably a more common situation where they think Apple = iOS and Samsung = Android. Just goes to show how good of a marketing team Samsung has I guess. Even though there are much better options available.

The OP didn't mention that they bought AppleCare+...

18. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Yep, sucks when the repair costs as much or more than the device is even worth now.
    But you lost me at saying you were going to go with Samsung whose reliability and service is MUCH worse.

I used to be a SquareTrade or AppleCare guy, but doing the math it stopped making sense for me a while ago. Maybe if you break your phone a lot and not just the screen.. But you are paying $129 for AppleCare+ then $79 for each occurrence (and prices went up again for 6s and now limited to 2 occurences). To have the screen replaced without AppleCare+ is $109. Also most good credit cards extend warranties a year or two if you buy the phone outright.

19. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Here is my recommendation:

Politely and calmly explain the issue once you get to the Apple Store. If they check out the device and quote you the out of warranty repair of $329, ask them if there's anything they can do as you can't afford it but need a phone. If you're nice (and possibly lucky) they might help you out, if not then at least you tried.

Keep in mind, when you purchased your iPhone you should have been offered an extended warranty of some sort. My guess is that you declined this. I would recommend in the future you either get the extended warranty or you look into getting a credit card that extends the warranty to two years as several cards offer this.

Good luck!

20. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You really do not know that. :rolleyes:

21. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Apple seem to always try to set expectations going into things. Over the phone/online chat can only reveal so much, and if whoever you spoke to misdiagnosed and quoted a lower price (for a new display for example), but you went into store to get it repaired to be handed a bill for over $300, then you'd be pissed off.

I'm guessing the $300+ is the OOW replacement cost for the entire phone? It's given as a worst case scenario if the phone is completely shot and needs to be swapped out.

Take it in and have a technician have a look. I assume you have either pre-booked an appointment or plan to arrive early in the day? Some Apple Stores have limited availability for walk-ins.

22. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

My 6S+ recently had a motherboard failure but Apple replaced it free of charge as it was still under warranty. Any later and I would probably be out of luck as I didn't buy Applecare+.

Guess this will be a sober reminder to always get the extended warranty with any new iPhone, especially since I don't plan on upgrading every year.

Tough luck with your iPhone. Try going down in person and speaking to an aide face to face. Hope you get better luck there.

23. DallasManic Suspended

i just simply use an Otterbox

24. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I don't use any case with my iPhone. Never have, never will.