So Apple Pay works at CVS again, what's really going on here?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Nov 11, 2014.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I just tried Apple Pay at CVS for ***** and giggles and it works again when it didn't work yesterday!

Also, they show up again in the MasterCard app! Did they backtrack and change their minds or did they leave MCX?

Someone report this to the main MR staff! This can only be a good thing and determine the failure of MCX!

Attached Files:

2. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Sorry to hijack but what app do you use to show nfc readers like that?

3. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

Mastercard Nearby app

4. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have seen nothing on that yet, wonder if a fluke and you will see correct billing. Did you get receipt?

I buy a lot of small orders with them. It is one place I would use Apple Pay, if I hear of no Statement issues with purchases.

Not sure if anyone has received a monthly statement yet to see how accurate purchases are.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I wouldn't be surprised, as the CurrentC CEO mentioned that they'd face no consequences for not following the exclusivity agreement (all while deflecting the blame on the retailers).

6. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I haven't tested it, but the MC app is also showing the Rite Aid stores around here as taking NFC payments too.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, you're right. There's a bunch of CVS and Rite-Aid locations now appearing on the MC Nearby app, which weren't previously there.

8. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The problem now though is that Walgreens and gas stations won't even show up now, I went into Walgreens and tested it there too and it still worked. So something is wrong with the app after they started to re-add CVS.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wow, you're right about that. I no longer see my local Walgreens showing up, despite using Apple Pay there a couple days ago. Perhaps Walgreens and CVS/Rite-Aid are trading places just to mess with us hardcore Apple Pay users :D Speaking of which, I'm surprised you even step a foot in CVS.

I do notice that the app has been buggy as of late. If I zoom out, it zooms back in. Maybe one of the iOS 8 bugs.

EDIT: My local Petco isn't even showing up either. Seems like this is happening with the official Apple Pay retailers?

10. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502a

Cyberguycpt

11. Dizle macrumors 6502

Home Depot doesn't show up near me and I've used it there.

12. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502a

Cyberguycpt

So Apple Pay works at CVS again, what's really going on here?

Cvs and Riteaid showing up now but not Walgreens or Radio Shack. Hope this is true the Cvs and Riteaid work because that means consumers finally won something. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415730859.976376.jpg

Attached Files:

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I tried it yesterday at CVS and it failed. My phone prompted me to touch for ApplePay and everything but it failed, as if the card was declined.

But this is the same Citi MasterCard that gets declined with ApplePay at Home Depot and the soda machine at work for unknown reasons. I should've tried it with my CapOne Visa.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

its possible that store has not removed NFC payments yet of that app is not updating live info about the store

15. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

i tried my local CVS today but it failed, i think that app just isn't updated/reliable.

16. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502a

Cyberguycpt

Was that Cvs you went to on the Mastercards app showing they took NFC.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Home Depot is different because it supports Apple Pay only unofficially and it won't work with MasterCard anyway.

18. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502a

Cyberguycpt

Still not working I've tried Cvs and Riteaid which both show on the MasterCard app. Rite aid everything went through until the end it asked for another form of payment. At Cvs it just kept saying hold near it use to work her instantly.

19. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Did you guys make sure to walk out of the store and opt to go somewhere else?

20. mrcobra92 macrumors 6502

I don't believe it, the app is broken, though I will walk down to my local rite aid and give it a shot.

21. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502a

Cyberguycpt

Well at Riteaid I just ended up buying something for one dollar but at CVS I just walked out.

22. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

I've been watching that Mastercard Nearby app for about two weeks now... CVS and RiteAid were originally showing up, then they disappeared, and now they've reappeared again today.

Haven't tested ApplePay at CVS though. I actually switched to Walgreens -- not sure I will even go back at this point.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I would seriously be interesting in learning what the ramifactions of breaking contracts with current c (I think that's who they're in contract with?). It's entirely possible that breaking the contract and simply paying the fines would be the smarter move for some of these enormous chain stores.

----------

I don't know if this is serious or sarcastic, but I will still respond with, what I believe to be, a valid conclusion.

I don;t feel walking out is going to do anything, really. Not unless you are walking up to the register with product and then just leaving when they don't take your preferred form of payment. Even then, the company would have to be actively gathering these statistics, which they likely aren't doing (yet).

I would think that a politely written letter to the company would get most people much farther. I really highly doubt that simply not shopping at these stores at this stage in the game is really going to make a difference with any statistics. But if everyone concerned is going to make it a point to tell the company, it will go a long way.

24. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

I wonder if MCX is maybe backing-off enforcing that clause at this point given how much heat they got... losing customers by turning of ApplePay is kind of tough argument to make to their members. Let CurrentC compete on its on merits.

25. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502a

Cyberguycpt

For me I just went there to check out if Apple Pay worked, so when it didn't I left.