So Apple sent me a more expensive Air than I ordered.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iphone1105, Dec 3, 2013.

1. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

So, weird, but I recently ordered an 11" i5/4GB/512 SSD.

Apple Sent me 11" i7/8GB/512SSD

I ordered online and the reciept packaged with the Air clearly shows what i ordered....

Anyone ever have this happen? I'm thinking of returning for what I ordered it but my wife was like, "they messed up, not you". And she's often the type to get things back to the original owner and such.

Woudld you return it?

BTW, its an awesome laptop!

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I would contact Apple and ask them what they would like to do about the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if they are glad you contacted them and will let you keep the upgrade.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Are you asking for permission to be honest about this?
    Could be that Apple provided you with a free upgrade - although that's pretty substantial. Looks like about $250 difference.
    If you ask Apple, they _may_ say "Oops, our fault - keep it!"
    Does the serial number on the Air that you received match up with the serial number that is listed on the shipping invoice?

4. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Contact them and tell them. I believe as other have said they will let you keep it.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I would think about what happens when you need service. You bring it in and Apple says, uh... that's not your laptop!

6. riz22 macrumors newbie

I don't think that happens if you register the computer with the correct serial number when you get it. Apple doesn't really go back to your invoice, they go back to the registration.

7. Atrin1 macrumors regular

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'm going to vote for keeping it. Apple's costs of:

- Shipping the wrong laptop you got back
    - Refurbishing it (you've opened it, they can no longer sell as new)
    - Selling it in the refurb store
    - Shipping the correct laptop to you

...probably exceed the cost difference between the parts of what you ordered and what you got. (Remember, the additional $250 difference is YOUR cost, including markup.)

9. DesignerOnMac, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Before Apple mailed your laptop, they registered it for you, so they know what was sent to you. I'd call them and explained what you ordered and what you got. Doubt you'd have to send it back.

10. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

It's pretty obvious that the right thing to do is contact Apple. Chances are they'll tell you to keep it, but it's Apple's decision to make, not yours.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Was it from the refurbished store? This is not that uncommon if ordering refurbished, due to it being a matter of what is available at that specific time. Contact them if you want, but I would suspect they won't care. The reason for this is that not only would they have to process the return and send you another, this one would now have to be sold as refurbished rather than new.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

When stuff like this happens, I tell myself: Apple is not a Mom&Pop shop, they are not selling on thin margins. Their time is valuable, they can push products out of the door efficiently production-line like, but taking a return, boy that's gotta be expensive for them. Nope I say, I will do them a favor and save them the hassle.

Am sticking to this theory. :D

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

As long as you don't get charged for the difference, just keep it.

14. iphone1105 thread starter macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Hey all!

So I rang Apple as I finished work just a bit ago, I explained the situation and how I ordered a lesser model and they sent a better spec one. First they apologized to me for messing up the order(which wasnt needed), and then proceeded to say enjoy your new laptop! All the numbers matched the reciept so no weird issue there either.

Anyway, they gave it to me no issues. I guess I had some luck for once!

And someone asked if this was a refurb model, no, it wasn't I purchased new online on apple.com adding extras and such! :)

15. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

Very nice, glad to see that honesty pays off... :D
    Congrats mate on your luck :D

16. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

ive heard of this happening with refurbished but never new before. congrats on your new baby.

17. SusanK macrumors 68000

Congrats! Enjoy the new MBA. Apple tries to treat customers well. Glad it worked out this was for you!

18. kingtj macrumors 68020

Yeah, this goes back a long way ....

I remember back around the 1999-2000 time-frame, people were occasionally placing orders for new Apple gear and receiving a slightly better configuration than they paid for.

In every single instance I heard of, if Apple was contacted about it, it told the person to just keep it -- and it didn't affect the warranty coverage.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this was done on purpose at times, if Apple had plenty of stock of one thing, and was short on another (say, short on 256GB hard drives but had more than enough 512GB drives that day). Probably more efficient to just get the order shipped on time with a slightly better spec. (Don't forget, Apple has customers who pay less than the rest of us for what they order AND are more picky about getting *exactly* what was ordered -- such as military, educational or some big business clients. It may be a case of large orders for a lower spec system by one of these customers causes a shortage, and Apple is wiser to fill those orders ASAP and just make a little less profit margin by giving you the higher spec system.)

I really can't recall a single time someone received a wrong order with LESS in it than was paid for ... which makes me more confident these errors in customer's favor are purposeful.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My guess is fulfillment misread your order.

The i7/8GB/512GB model is a standard configuration available at Apple retail stores.

Or someone else in the world got your order. :eek:

Either way congrats on the computer.

Also the law states if you receive the wrong item you have the legal right to keep it as long as you don't expect compensation.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I mentioned refurbished, but I mentioned that if they asked for it back, they would have to sell it as refurbished. That's part of the reason I figured they wouldn't bother. I mean that they don't really lose anything more letting you keep it than they would if they took it back and sent you a new one.

21. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just goes to show that honesty pays off...You got a better MBA than you ordered, and Apple rewarded you for your honest reaction.:)

22. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Free upgrade, and that warm fuzzy feeling that you did the right thing. Result!

Now, can you tell me EXACTLY what you entered when you ordered it? :p

23. iphone1105 thread starter macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Thanks all! Yeah nice early Christmas present from Apple!

I am glad I called, eased my soul! lol I would've felt sort of guilty keeping it and not calling them, glad I took everyones advice.

24. AppleMacNerd macrumors regular

Well you got the i7 and extra 4GB of ram for free, Apple said keep it which most people knew they would.
    Enjoy doesn't happen very often! :D :apple:

25. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

Doing the right thing! Always a good life policy :D