So, are you excited about Leopard?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i've been looking forward to it for a while now. i think spaces, quicklook and time machine are enough to make the purchase worthwhile.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
I'm uber excited...tho I won't be able to get it because I need to get a Mac first. And to get a Mac I need money. And to get Money I need a job...which I don't have. But a Mac is what I'm saving for!

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I'm certainly most excited about Time Machine. I've been using Silverkeeper to backup my internal hard drive to a Lacie drive. I'm trying to be more mindfull of backing up my data, never knowing when that day may come when the hard drive takes the dirt nap.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I'm really looking forward to it, I bet we'll either have to wait until the end of October or Apple will announce it in October for release in November :eek:

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I'm more excited than I was, now that it's getting closer to being a reality for us. I'm interested, more than anything, to play with the changes and just a little bit anxious as to whether I'll like all the changes or not.

Tiger has been revolutionary to me, coming from Windows XP. I'm extremely fond of it. I hope Apple's focus on other products hasn't stopped them from doing a job on Leopard.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I'm really looking forward to it, I bet we'll either have to wait until the end of October or Apple will announce it in October for release in November :eek:
they shud be giving out their final build soon, its actually expected at least the end of september, or early octobor, first they thot at the end of october

phoenix3212

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
I'd buy leopard just for the new desktop. PC users are basically paying for a new desktop with Vista, and it costs $200 more!

I'm excited about the redesigned Finder, Time Machine, Desktop, Quick Look, Stationery in mail looks quite nice, and Webclip for Dashboard looks great too.

Anyways, I guess you could say that yes, I am very excited for leopard.

Bl3s5in

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2007
If I could use the tiger UI and the Leopard features I would be happy, otherwise I will not buy it. The difference between active windows and others is ugly, the dock is ugly, the translucent bar is ugly, etc, etc.

psychofreak

Retired
May 16, 2006
London
I'm very excited, but it will be best in a while when apps take advantage of Core Animation and other under-the-hood improvements...Stacks is perfect for me, so is built-in screen-sharing and plenty of other things...

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
it will be best in a while when apps take advantage of Core Animation and other under-the-hood improvements...Stacks is perfect for me, so is built-in screen-sharing and plenty of other things...
dito ... plenty of other things for me include resolution independance ..

not too keen new UI though, dock looks good but the menu bar ... errr ...

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
I can't wait for it. I'll be buying it the day it comes out. I love Tiger, but it feels so old compared to Leopard. Mac OS X just keeps getting more and more refined. Leopard is evolutionary. I can't wait. :)

msharp

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2004
i've been looking forward to it for a while now. i think spaces, quicklook and time machine are enough to make the purchase worthwhile.
Absolutely.

I've decided to buy a new mac when the new OS comes out.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
I hope there are some features they are waiting to announce, though. The top secret "dock" and finder w/ coverflow weren't exactly worthy of "top secret" in my book. I think there will be: just look at YouTube for iPhone!

I, for one, want a "smart portable accounts" feature that they've patented, where you insert a usb drive, iPhone, iPod etc. into any Leopard computer and your own desktop is there, or at least preferences and settings.

-=|Mgkwho

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I don't plan on going to Leopard until maybe the fall of 2008, or until I absolutely need it. Mac OS 10.4.11 is fine on my G3 B&W and Intel mini. Besides, I don't really feel like upgrading my mini with more RAM and a faster hard drive just yet..

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I've been a mac user since october last year, and I am finally beginning to get over "ZOMG ITZ MAI MAC!!112bbq" and just use it now. I will pick up leopard but I'm in no huge rush. Tiger does more then what I need, and having used leopard it is very nice but tiger is to.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
After using the latest seed, all I can say is it's OK.

Cheetah (10.0) -> Puma (10.1)
Huge gain in performance, functionality, stability, usability.

Puma (10.1) -> Jaguar (10.2) [CUPS, iChat, Quartz Extreme, Bonjour]
Huge gain in performance, functionality, usability.

Jaguar (10.2) -> Panther (10.3) [Expose, Fast User Switching, ZIP, Network]
Substantial gain in functionality, stability, usability.

Panther (10.3) -> Tiger (10.4) [Spotlight, Dashboard, Automator]
Substantial/Moderate improvements in functionality.

Tiger (10.4) -> Leopard (10.5 [Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Finder]
Moderate improvements in functionality, usability.

As Mac OS X matures, I think we are going to see less and less underlying changes and just more features. Eventually, Apple is going to have to come up with something else besides integrating "ideas" for the most part derived from third-party applications (Application Switcher, Dashboard, Sherlock, etc).