Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
So with all the issues with the iPad Air 2 and almost no improvement from the last Air, are you going to just wait for the iPad Air 3?

I was going to pull the trigger this week on the new iPad Air 2, but I hated the screen distortion so much...I went to BB this Black Friday and everytime I picked up the iPad without any force it kept giving me the screen distortion on the lower corner, to me that's very annoying.

I am happy that they decided to add that extra gig of ram and improved the screen from the last gen, but battery life not being improved? Well that is very disappointing. Do you think the next iPad Air 3 will have better battery life? Better sound dampening option so it doesn't vibrate too much and possibly the screen distortion being finally fixed?

I already have it, I am waiting for the air 4

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
And yes, waiting for air3/pro. I think im going to give up with air2 and skip it... atleast not going to buy it on this year - alittle hope they fix those issues...

actually i have bought one (two, one for me and one for a gift). im still waiting for xmas before i open it =)

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I can't see the air 3 being an amazing, show stopping, must have device and the air 2 will still be a very capable tablet this time next year.

That's exactly what I said about the iPad Air 1 when it first came out. "I'm going to buy a refurb iPad Air 1 when the iPad Air 2 comes out. I can't imagine them making it that much better since it is already so thin and light."

Guess which model I bought when the iPad Air 2 came out? Yep, the even thinner profile and 2GB of RAM and A8X with 2.5x the graphics won me over.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
That's exactly what I said about the iPad Air 1 when it first came out. "I'm going to buy a refurb iPad Air 1 when the iPad Air 2 comes out. I can't imagine them making it that much better since it is already so thin and light."

Guess which model I bought when the iPad Air 2 came out? Yep, the even thinner profile and 2GB of RAM and A8X with 2.5x the graphics won me over.

The air 2 is imho the new iPad 2. The one with longevity. The next upgrade isn't going to get more ram. I don't want a device that's any thinner. I dislike how thin the air 2 is (but a case will sort that). So I can understand going for the air 2 over the air 1 if you have neither.

But I'd bet my kidneys on the air three being an incremental upgrade.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Yes mine has screen distortion when I tried to make it happen and that's the only time I have seen it. To me the big issue is the sound quality went down hill on the air 2. It will distort as it is very bass heavy. I was trying to listen to one of my acoustic guitar recordings last night and it was distorting. Is it the best iPad i have had so far? Yes it is. Does iOS need bugs worked out to make it better? Yes it does. Safari randomly does not like loading pages like Wikipedia and Facebook. You have to turn the wifi off and back on to get it to load. Again that is an iOS issue and not iPad issue.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The air 2 is imho the new iPad 2. The one with longevity.

I agree. But others will cite the pre-retina display as disqualifying the ipad2. I have the mini 1 (same internals), and it still blows me away what an awesome device it is. Yes i see the pixels--no i dont care.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Air 2 is triple core
2GB RAM
BETTER GRAPHICS.

AIR 3/Whatever is called May have
2 x resolution
A9 (X) will probably make it 10-20%

We've all been scarred from iPad 3 retina screen. But if A9 is paired with new Retina HD (whatever the new resolution will be). Maybe it will be a good upgrade.

Who knows. Who cares. If you own an iPad 2 and want to upgrade and have funds. Than buy the air 2. If you own iPad 3 same situation. Upgrade if you got the funds to Air 2.

Don't think those own iPad 4/iPad Air need to upgrade to iPad Air 2.

Considering tablet saturation. Most iPad owners should keep iPads for at least 3 years.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
So...are you waiting for the iPad Air 3?

Yes because it'll have a Retina HD display and hopefully they reduce the bezels all the way around.

Last edited:

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Air 2 is triple core
2GB RAM
BETTER GRAPHICS.

AIR 3/Whatever is called May have
2 x resolution
A9 (X) will probably make it 10-20%

We've all been scarred from iPad 3 retina screen. But if A9 is paired with new Retina HD (whatever the new resolution will be). Maybe it will be a good upgrade.

Who knows. Who cares. If you own an iPad 2 and want to upgrade and have funds. Than buy the air 2. If you own iPad 3 same situation. Upgrade if you got the funds to Air 2.

Don't think those own iPad 4/iPad Air need to upgrade to iPad Air 2.

Considering tablet saturation. Most iPad owners should keep iPads for at least 3 years.

That's my thinking too. I went from the 1 to the 3. I got the 3 because the retina display made it vastly better to use.

At this point, for my needs I don't care if I have the latest and greatest. The Air 2 will still be a great tablet in a years time. And will hopefully run the same as the Air 1 refurb does now and be around £250. Which is a saving of £150 on whatever the new iPad will be. Yes there will be an upgrade but will the upgrade be £150 worth? To me personally, I highly doubt it.

And I'll do with the air 2 what I've done with the 3. Keep it for three years then when I do shell out again it'll feel like an actual upgrade.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
That's my thinking too. I went from the 1 to the 3. I got the 3 because the retina display made it vastly better to use.

At this point, for my needs I don't care if I have the latest and greatest. The Air 2 will still be a great tablet in a years time. And will hopefully run the same as the Air 1 refurb does now and be around £250. Which is a saving of £150 on whatever the new iPad will be. Yes there will be an upgrade but will the upgrade be £150 worth? To me personally, I highly doubt it.

And I'll do with the air 2 what I've done with the 3. Keep it for three years then when I do shell out again it'll feel like an actual upgrade.

If iPad Air 3 has a super Retina HD resolution, it'll be the iPad 3 all over again - a GPU that isn't powerful enough to run the screen. I too have been burned with the iPad 3 and the A5X. If the next iPad has a new higher resolution screen, I would wait for the generation after that one.

harrypham

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
SA, Texas
If iPad Air 3 has a super Retina HD resolution, it'll be the iPad 3 all over again - a GPU that isn't powerful enough to run the screen. I too have been burned with the iPad 3 and the A5X. If the next iPad has a new higher resolution screen, I would wait for the generation after that one.

Exactly! In addition to slowness, it even run hot, and it is thicker and heavier. My old iPad 3 (now my dad is using) is too slow on iOS 8.1.2. It takes quite loong for iPad 3 to load pictures on websites while it is fast on my Iar 1 and Air 2.

Moreover, I just bought Air 2 Cellular 128 GB, the highest option, so I will try to skip iPad Air 3. Air 4 will be as perfect as iPad 2 and iPad Air 2. iPad 3 and iPad Air were trials

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I Honestly don't get the hate for the iPad 3. I got it on launch. Was a bit annoyed when the 4 was released a few months later but it's served me perfectly well. Does what it's supposed to do. I watch films, play games and browse and whilst iOS 8 has slowed it up some it's still capable.

I do think iOS 9 will basically kill it off. But it's done everything I've asked if it since the day I got it.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
In the event that my almost-five-year-old iPad 2 does not receive iOS 9, I will probably upgrade to the Air 3/iPad Pro or whatever it is going to be named.

Nothing at present (except maybe the lack of Bluetooth 4.0 and its associated features) in the iPad Air 2 is really enticing me enough to fork out £559 in order to upgrade.

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I had successfully convinced myself to wait for the Air 3, then my son's laptop died. So I decided that the best way to address his BYOD requirements for school was for him to have my iPad 3, and me to get a new Air 2 for Christmas. I already gave him my desktop gaming PC when I switch back to Mac earlier in the year, so he doesn't need a laptop as well.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
had an ipad 4 which i was reluctant to give up for my air 2, but i did and i love it.

however i never really cared for the chamfered edge design, and when next years ipad looks like the iphone six it will be very tough not to upgrade. however i will make sure to not sell my air 2 until,after ive received a flawless air 3, amd if i cant get one in the first 3-4 attempts, ill not upgrade and keep my beautiful air 2 with its absolutely gorgeous, ultra cool screen.

code137

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
had an ipad 4 which i was reluctant to give up for my air 2, but i did and i love it.

however i never really cared for the chamfered edge design, and when next years ipad looks like the iphone six it will be very tough not to upgrade. however i will make sure to not sell my air 2 until,after ive received a flawless air 3, amd if i cant get one in the first 3-4 attempts, ill not upgrade and keep my beautiful air 2 with its absolutely gorgeous, ultra cool screen.

I just got rid of my iPad 4 as well with plans to pick up an Air 2, but they didn't have the cellular version in stock at the time and somehow I ended up leaving the store with a Surface Pro 3. Still think I'll get an Air 2 though. I never knew there were any issues with the screen so I do have to pay a bit more attention.

I will say owning the surface has made me realize just how much I would pay for a device that would act as a MacBook Air with OSX with a keyboard attached but act as an iPad with iOS without. If the Surface can squeeze 6 to 8 hours of battery life out of an intel processor and windows, I'd expect apple could easily pull off the 10-12 hour battery life with their optimizations and similar hardware.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
That's true, but it's not a reason to get an Air 2 now and not wait for the Air 3. As you stated yourself, in terms of speed on the current iOS there's not an obvious difference between the original Air and the Air 2. Just saying ;).

There's not an obvious speed difference between the original Air and the Air 2 RUNNING THEIR ORIGINALLY SHIPPED OSes.

The speed difference between the original Air and the Air 2 running iOS 8.x.x, on the other hand, is pretty noticeable. Noticeable enough to warrant original Air owners to upgrade to the Air 2? I don't think so. But the difference is noticeable.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I honestly kept flip flopping back and fourth between iPad Mini 2/3 and iPad Air and returned them several times as I couldn't make up my mind. Finally decided to keep the Air 2 and couldn't be happier. iPad 2 to iPad Air 2 was a huge upgrade for sure!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.