So, AT&T is like a big giant dictator?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 9, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I am yet to join the iPhone/ATT club, but spending a day in a couple of iPhone forums, I already feel very uncomfortable how AT&T does business especially with regard to iPhone.

And, it also amazes me why millions of iPhone users (in US alone) have so little power over AT&T in this day and age despite the nature of monopoly.

Maybe I've gotten too used to Costco's style of business operation--more value to customers. :D

2. Section10 macrumors newbie

basically, yea. Remember ATT was the monopoly of the 80s and theyre trying to do it again

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Apple acts much more like a dictator that AT&T could ever hope to. AT&T simply acts like most other communication companies.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No company you have to pay to get service from will ever be a dictator :rolleyes:

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

People have their panties in a bunch because they have a contractual obligation they don't want to fulfill, that's all.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I am happy with at&t, and I have no issues with them. I called them a few times and hung up with them happy. People like to complain and they like to do it on forums.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

ATT is no different from other carriers. You don't get the subsidized rate if you're still on contract.

8. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

No, that's not all.

Look, yes, I have a contract and I know the details of it.

But why are other people, with less lines, less phones and shorter customer history with ATT and with iPhone 3G's getting the 399 price while I get the 599 price?

If my "panties are in a bunch", I think it is justified that they are that way. :D

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I agree. Today I went to Best Buy and they had a BB on Sprint and people who were not eligible for an upgrade, it would cost over $700.00!!!!! and yet people complain about the iPhones price for people who can't get one w/o a subsidized price.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Try going commando instead.

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

This is the internet, I have a feeling some of the stories are "stretched" :rolleyes:

12. Adisah macrumors regular

Best Buy unlocked prices are always out of whack. If they are offered at the carrier's store unlocked it is almost always cheaper.

13. pablo7 macrumors 6502

I like costco been going there since 86' when it was price club but their kinda like att also. You go in to buy butter, they carry two kinds, country crock and regular butter sticks, if you don't like what they carry too bad your stuck with what they got so you either dirnk the costco/att/apple cool aid or get left out.....:( where's my cup....:):apple: I have no problem paying 399$ for a 16g its still better than paying the full-full price of 599$ and 699$ which is the set retail price out right.

14. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Stretched how?

Are you saying I am lying?

I am not.

15. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

AT&T is doing business the exact same way as every other U.S. wireless carrier does business!!

People with iPhone 3G are just whining about not being able to upgrade.

AT&T paid for over half of their iPhone 3G last year and in turn they require you to use their service for 2 years to sort of pay them back.
    Now 1 year later, people want AT&T to AGAIN pay for over half of their new iPhone.

AT&T is not some big bad monster in this respect. yes, they tear your ass apart with text message charges, fees, etc. but this subsidy thing is just people being ignorant babies

16. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

This is true for some.

But not all.

I am whining because some people with iPhone 3Gs are able to upgrade for 399 and I have to pay 599. :D

17. Jon619 macrumors newbie

Make sure that your bill is paid. I had the same problem, paid my bill, and i was back down to the $399 pricing.

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

No, I was referring to the people you were talking about. They may be saying they can get the 3GS, but are they really telling the truth?

19. kits macrumors member

I am with AT&T mainly because they are the best with GSM network. I've been their customer for over 5 years and have no problems. I've been with Sprint, Verizon, T-mobile before. Fortunately, I like all of them but I prefer AT&T mainly because of several 3G UNLOCKED phones available for their network.

I am surprised iPhone 3G owners complaining for not being able to upgrade to 3GS phone at discounted price. Come on guys, most companies are already losing money in this economy. How can AT&T take the loss on phone price to make you all happy? Why not ask APPLE who not only profit on phone but from App store downloads to provide you the discount?

Why do you think other smartphones like Nokia N97, HTCs, OmniaHDs, Sony Ericsson's cost so much?

20. kits macrumors member

If they are still under 2-yr contract there is no way they can get discounted price. I got iPhone 3G about 3-months back but I am eligible for the new iPhone 3GS ONLY because I bought my 3G phone at $400 on ebay. I didn't go for the discounted price because I thought I will get the new one from AT&T with discount and sell the 3G back on ebay.

21. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

Look at Apple's control off the app store, then tell me AT&T is the dictator.

22. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

If AT&T is losing money, I don't believe iPhone has anything to do with that. AT&T must make a fortune off iPhone users.

And, I do believe APPLE should lower the price of iPhones because they do make millions from App store as well.

iPhones for less --> More users --> More Apps sold --> More profit

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Hundred bucks not good enough for you?

24. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I will never comprehend this "have to pay", "have to get" mentality. Who is forcing you?

25. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I meant the price APPLE charges AT&T for iPhones should be lower so that AT&T can give more favorable upgrade options to its customers. Also, with lower iPhone prices--between APPLE and AT&T--AT&T can turn around and perhaps waive that $36 activation fee for new comers. $99 iPhone with no activation fee will definitely attract even more non-iPhone people to switch their carrier.