So basically, don't buy EVERYTHING updates soon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by charlieroberts, Mar 16, 2010.

?

What will happen with the entire Mac line ?

Poll closed May 5, 2010.
  1. HUGE refresh across the board. Takes Mac to the next level

33 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. Incremental update.

72 vote(s)
    68.6%
  1. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

It's pretty funny that Apple is so far behind "schedule" that every product they sell is listed as don't buy, or is pretty close to the end of it's product cycle.

And I think people at first get angry and then start thinking that if it has been this long it'll be a HUGE update to their favorite Mac.

I think we will all be disappointed. What do you think ?

Also, with more and more and MORE people buying MBP I hate that there is no customizing the look of them. I bet they are going to offer anodized color options sooner rather than later.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think we don't need more threads like this.

3. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Well I am at a loss then, why would you think your comment was needed ?

Im just trying to see what people feel around here.

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

this

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then you seem to see something entirely different, as there are lots and lots of threads discussing this very issue, even if they don't have a title that might point to that.

The Arrandale threads for example, and some others of course.

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

So irritated, I bought a car and my neighbor has last years model and it has the exact same specs, other neighbor bought next years model, same specs, 3 YEARS with no serious updates what are we to do? Can't they just update the speedometer to show a higher speed even though I'll never speed?

:D

7. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

fine, move one everybody, if I can't get any goodhearted reply's then I don't want any.

continue letting your anger into all the other threads that talk about this very same thing.

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

This happens I'd say once a year where everything is REALLY needing an update. Just be patient! Apple is not stupid and before you know it almost every one of its products will be latest and greatest :)

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I know how you feel. I think. Lately everyone at work switched to AT&T to get iphones. I also felt that my imac was getting a little old and asked for gift cards for last years holidays and my bday that just past. I stumbled onto this site after a google search and now I am waiting..... I don't want to buy an iphone right now if in a few months there will be a better one for Verizon (or just for AT&T). I don't want to buy a power mac/cinema display or even one of the newer imacs if there will be much better ones in a few months. I'm lucky... I don't need these things for business like some do, just want them. IF, in the summer, I get to buy upgraded phones and computers, I'll feel like patience is a virtue and I'll be very happy I waited. IF NOT..... and nothing new (or new and just not that great)comes up, I'll feel a little bit dumb.

Oh well, all our problems should be so hard, right?

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

P.S. I also don't get why some people read threads they know will piss em off and then waste time ragging on the person who started them. If its such a bad thread..... why do you care? Just being angry to be angry I guess. Like some people, they just love to argue no matter what......:rolleyes:

11. thehost250 macrumors newbie

I agree with Charlie. So much technology has changed in a year. Let's be honest, every other manufacturer constantly introduces new products. It would be different if the cost of Apple products went down in line with new technology but it doesn't. If you buy a Mac Pro today and the new ones come out next week or past the 15 day period you will feel robbed. The new iMacs came out last year and were the same price or lower if I remember correctly and had much better specs. While this topic is repetitive it is like that for a reason. Being heavily into recording music things work so much better on a Mac so it's a no brainer. It would be nice though if they at least attempted to stay current or would drop their prices as time passes. You will pay full price for their product up to the last day even if that's over a year later. At some point we have to call it what it is, corporate greed but every one is guilty too so.....

12. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

5 years ago ppl were happy Apple bumped the Powerbooks about 167 MHz.

It was one core.

It was named P o w e r Book.

And yet still ppl were grateful and loved their machines. :)

All I see now is constant bickering about updates just cuzz my neighbor’s Dell or HP has cutting edge latest technology built in. Let them have them.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I don't have enough money to buy EVERYTHING, so I won't buy ANYTHING.;)

14. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I agree with you. I wsh I didn't have to complain but I love to be impressed by new macs and haven't been in a while... Nothing like the thrill of configuring a newly released Mac Pro to over 15'000 $ and then closing the browser thinking... someday.... Hehe maybe that's just me

15. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

It looks like some Apple computer products in the buyer's guide are Neutral - Mid Cycle - Mac Mini, iMac, and MacBook. Plus the iPods are also Neutral - Mid Cycle.

I thought there used to be an explanation of the methodology of prediction for the Buyer's Guides, but I don't see any. I vaguely recall it was based on previous releases, but now that doesn't seem to be true. There's just a vague statement saying they take into account rumors.

16. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

The buyer's guide is just based on the average number of days it has taken apple to update any product. Only if there is really strong rumors that a product will be updated soon will macrumors change the buyer's guide to reflect that.

17. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's what I remembered reading before. I guess that methodology is fairly accurate or at least easy to calculate.

18. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

fairly easy to calculate, yeah.
    However it gives no real indication of when updates will be, apple is not necessarily going to update their product lines regularly. Look at the cinema displays for an obvious example. If you have been waiting for an update to the 30 inch cinema display, you have been waiting a long time!

19. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

I'd say its still pretty safe to buy an iPad...they shouldn't be updated for a while.

20. Badradio macrumors 6502

The thing to remember is that the people who are first to a thread tend to be those who spend a lot of time here, so they see all of these threads "discussing the same thing". The more balanced replies tend to arrive later as the more casual users find the thread.

I think you have a good point - this isn't just about MacBookPros, although they are the extreme case. Aside from Aperture 3 (which appears to have been a less-than-quality release) I can't think of anything Apple have released in a long time that was of note (please correct me if I'm wrong - I'd like the whole picture). Where are the iLife and iWork updates? I get that those devs may well be working on the iPad software, and I get that the iPad is important, but until it's selling in numbers that even approach the installed Mac user base, it seems reckless to risk alienating the core market. Like a lot of people, I have a friend who's looking to switch, but regardless of tech progress/trends, the current MBP just doesn't look like good value right now. Apple as a computing platform just doesn't look like good value right now.

Rant over. Just had to get that off my chest...

21. Redbookpro macrumors newbie

I see where you're going with this... but sorry, 5 years ago the powerbooks were operating at more than 800 Mhz and the top of the line was 1.67 Ghz. Perhaps you just had a typo.

22. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

And there's the problem right there. Nothing is going to get updated until after the iPad comes out. They are not going to take the spotlight away from the iPad. How soon afterward is anybody's guess, but not before April 6. Welcome to the Apple Consumer Electronics Company.

23. brendu macrumors 68020

That is a big part of it... Also look at apples sales figures lately... they are SOARING... people DONT care that the tech isnt the newest. The computers are great, they work great, and people are buying them more and more every day. Apple does not need to update their machines just because we (the tech savvy minority) want them to. They no longer depend on us to drive their sales. Their numbers speak for themselves so clearly they are in no rush to push out any updates until they feel its necessary. Steve is smart as hell... I dont like it, but I completely understand it. The funny thing is that when the updates to the MBP do come, people are going to complain to no end that apple has raised the prices too much...

EDIT: just for credibilities sake...
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/15/npd-mac-sales-up-39-percent-in-january-and-febuary-as-ipod-sale/

24. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Finally someone with a brain.

25. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

You have a VERY good point, but don't you think that without "us" the tech savvy they wouldn't be where they are now ?
    First of all not so long ago, :apple: was still pretty neglected by the average consumer. And although they have the iPod and iPhone to thank for their ever growing popularity (and with the iPad, it's gonna get out of control) the early years were basically funded by tech savvy consumers.

But I guess you are right, SJ is too smart, and he lets money lead the way... let's hope at least once the iPad is settled, we will get some attention and get some of that fairy dust and unicorn tears back into our beloved Macs.
    Hehe I guess I feel like the older brother that's jealous of his newborn sister iPad, and hope's once she's older maybe mom and dad can pay some attention to him. :D