So basically some are trying to say every iPhone has the antenna problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jun 27, 2010.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I don't and keep trying it. And for those who say go to an area where someone has experienced the antenna issue. That makes no sense cause then it would clearly mean it's a tower/signal issue. Not antenna cause if it was then it would happen anywhere so basically how can it not be a software issue. It's more than likely cause u don't have good 3G or strong enough of it in your area and that's not apples fault.

2. Jason-Houghton macrumors regular

Jason-Houghton

Good for you. But I'm sorry, every iPhone 4 has this issue. You just have to do it right. If you are not noticing it then that's fine.

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

I fully cup the phone in both hands covering both bands nothing happens. Why do u say it's every phone there are people here who have already said they don't have the issue. And don't say it's the area ur in cause then that would mean it's your cell service that isn't good n

4. tuatha macrumors regular

been covered in plenty of depth already. have a read around this forum.

5. Zhe Wiz macrumors newbie

Faulty logic. Yours has it too.

Zhe Wiz

6. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

Really how can u say everyone has it. I seen people using their iPhone 4 and not complaining. If it was every phone then it would happen with everyone. It isn't. This has to confirm it needs a software fix or your 3G was never that good in your area. Also immholding my phone right now and no bars dropped maple people just pick up their phone and it drops not me m

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Don't worry about it. Misery loves company, and some people aren't happy unless everyone has the same misfortune they do.

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have to press really hard (as in flex) on the band in both antenna spots in order to get it to degrade the signal. Obviously, I don’t hold my phone that way so it’s it’s basically a non-issue for me.

Location, signal reception, manufacturing differences (I’m sure the metal band is coated with something at the factory), skin differences, static electricity, etc likely explain why some can’t reproduce the issue.

We do know Apple knew the latest release of iOS 4 had reception bugs quickly after they released it. They told Mossberg a software fix would be out soon to fix the bar dropping issue he noted in his review.

It seems reasonable that Apple could tell the baseband to ignore specific noise coming from a certain antenna and/or switch to a different antenna. I find it hard to believe that the problem is an actual hardware defect. Surely Apple designed iPhone 4 to handle attenuation caused by normal hand holding.

And whether or not it’s an official part of the test, someone at the FCC, AT&T and every other iPhone 4 carrier in the world (all tested the device) would have noticed. Keep in mind, Apple doesn’t ship them units with iOS 4. They use a special stripped down firmware to do their testing.

9. glanv macrumors regular

That's a rather bold statement! Unfortunately, you do not know if every iPhone 4 has this issue. This could well be a case of only hearing about the ones that are suffering with the problem. Not being harsh btw, just trying to be objective about this.

10. g8rdmd macrumors member

I've noticed it a little bit but, honestly, it hasn't interfered with anything I've been doing. I will, however, be getting a bumper because I do miss the friction-feel of my old 3GS's case in my hand. Therefore, signal problem solved :D

11. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

12. lnferno macrumors 6502

I've tried really hard to duplicate this antenna issue and I just can't seem to find the issue. In fact comparing it against my old 3G side by side, my 4 gets better reception. My 4 can pick up wifi spots that my 3G can't find at all.

No complaints here. :)

13. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Wow! So people who have had good reception and no bar dropping for the last 3 days or so should try to purposely force the issue. U freaking believable!! Some of you people need either a girlfriend or hobby. I'm not happy about the issue either and demand a fix for such a visible flaw, but I tried to replicate it yet it won't do it in 3 different locations here in Dallas, Tx.
    Either take it back or just wait until tomorrow to see what's announced. All this whining and forcing people to be unhappy with you is getting old.

14. Tones2 macrumors 65816

There is certainly the SAME issue with EVERY phone. It's nonsense if anyone thinks different. It's a design flaw inherent in the hardware.

As whether it actually AFFECTS anybody in any real sense is dependent on who you are talking about. I can create the issue everytime I specifically TRY to do it on my phone, but my wife cannot reproduce it on the same phone in the same place using the same grip. So it obviously has something to do with each person's HAND in some way. Even though I actually DO grip the phone in a way that interferes with the signal, I do use a bumper so it's a non-issue.

But there is a subset of people who don't want to use the bumper that hold the phone in such a way that it affects the signal. So it's an issue. It's ridiculous that people think it's not, including Apple.

Tony

15. Stiss macrumors 6502a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfBCCP0BF54

Watch my video.

Pretty conclusive proof that the phone is effected under certain conditions, e.g no case or bumper!

But notice in my video that it's not as bad as other people have shown so I guess it's quite a sporadic issue.

16. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

No issue here. So bang goes that theory. :rolleyes:

17. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Every iPhone 4 has this issue! That's how the antenna works. Even Jobs admits it when he says "don't hold it that way." Yes, it works differently with different signal strengths. For example, I can't get it to happen in my living room, but I can get it to happen in my bedroom. Although, there I can only get it to drop a couple of bars. At home my signal strength is strong. If I go to the lake, it goes to no bars. It has nothing to do with one person getting lucky and not having it like the yellow spots.

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

ditto. even when holding my phone in a ridiculous way I never would I'm still unable to produce this issue. And I'm a lefty.

19. mcees4life macrumors newbie

I tried to replicate this with my iPhone4 and my wife's iphone4 for 5 minutes each and the signal did not drop 1 bar. So to say that everyone is having the issue is untrue.

20. Tones2 macrumors 65816

And I REPEAT - EVERY PHONE HAS THIS ISSUE! How could they NOT? It's the same friggin' DESIGN! :rolleyes:

But your individual HAND is part of the equation as to whether it manifests itself. That's why some can't recreate it. Everytime someone tells me they can't recreate it on their phone, I pick it up and can make it happen. Every single time with any iPhone 4 without fail. I tried it with about 10 different phones at the Apple store and I could do it every time.

Simple really.

Tony

21. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

uh its the same design, but one batch could have come out with the defect.

22. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Sorry but I don't have the problem with mine. Nor does my girlfriends phone have a problem, my sisters, my nephew, and two of my coworkers that got them. The problem is overblown by people like you and it is pretty sad.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I repeat, Bull......
    Come and try this with my phone and see if anything happens.

24. LoganT macrumors 68020

If this problem is happening to 3GS owners who updated to iOS 4 as well, it's probably a software issue. Considering the fact that some people have the iPhone 4 and don't have the reception issue, is another clue that it's either software or a defect. I'm not exactly sure why so many people are convinced that it is the fault of how it is designed.

25. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Mine is working great and i know 4 people who have the iPhone 4 also,And they are not experiencing problems.